Socialnomics

I’ve had an ongoing conversation with a good friend of mine about the benefits of blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media. Not surprisingly, I am a proponent of most forms of social media. Love it or hate it, it is my belief that electronic media will continue to be the leading source for news and information sharing for the foreseeable future. And while there are aspects of this phenomenon that are downright annoying, as it stands, the potential benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

I started following @unmarketing (aka Scott Stratten, President of Un-Marketing.com) on Twitter after reading an RT from someone else I was following, and while I’m not easily impressed with so called “social media gurus” I will have to say unequivocally that this guy is, in my not so humble opinion, is a genius.

Here’s a bit of his bio from his website, Un-Marketing:

Scott Stratten is the President of Un-Marketing.com. He is an expert in Viral, Social, and Authentic Marketing which he calls Un-Marketing. It’s all about positioning yourself as a trusted expert in front of target market, so when they have the need, they choose you, That’s UN-Marketing.

Over 35,000 people follow his daily rantings on Twitter and was voted one of the top influencers on the site with over 20 million users . His recent Tweet-a-thon raised over $16,000 for child hunger, in less than 12 hours.

He recently tweeted a link to his blog where I first viewed this video. I think it speaks for itself.

What do you think?

(I realize this video is on the small side. To view it full size, check it out HERE.

« « Previous Post: The Things we do for Love (by Jeanne Damoff) | Next Post: Bon Qui Qui, private emails, and thinly veiled threats of violence » »

13 Responses to “Socialnomics”

1. Wendy August 20, 2009 at 2:30 am #

>I'd tell you what I think, but the video is cut off on the right side so I can't read all of what's on it. Wanna fix that, social media genius?

2. LeLe August 20, 2009 at 9:04 am #

>That was a really cool and informative video, and maybe even a little scary… 🙂

3. katdish August 20, 2009 at 9:25 am #

>I fixed it Wendy. Because I'm a social media genius.

4. Renae August 20, 2009 at 10:44 am #

>A friend just sent me that video. It's fascinating to me, because I think it speaks to our desire to have relationships.

One of the lines said that news will come to us. I experience that on Twitter to a certain extent.

5. FaithBarista Bonnie August 20, 2009 at 11:46 am #

>I caught your tweet yesterday bout Un-Marketing's video. Thanks for that link & also that resource. Very good. And a bit overwhelmed, but thankful I'm swimming in it, even if I'm near the edge.

6. Funnyrunner August 20, 2009 at 11:53 am #

>That is absolutely FASCINATING!! Thanks so much for sharing!

7. jasonS August 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

>Not surprisingly I agree with you. This is here to stay and we need to wisely use this resource (and hey, we can have a little fun with it too).

8. Billy Coffey August 20, 2009 at 12:43 pm #

>That was freaking awesome! Which says a lot considering my backward redneck ways…

9. bman August 20, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

>Yep. And, if you want to be a writer, almost EVERY publishing company wants YOU to do all of the publicity and advertising. You NEED to be able to market yourself before they will publish your books.

It's the main reason I got Twitter. I know you just thought I got one to follow you, katdish, but it's not true.

10. katdish August 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

>Brian,

Very true. Unless you happen to have a nasty pimp working for you.

11. Tony C August 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

>Awesome video! The facts stated are remarkable.

Love it or hate it…the social media is here to stay. You know me from what I write over on Tony C Today…Christians need to get onboard. If Satan is on it…that's where we do battle for Him.

Great post…sorry about preaching to the choir.

12. Joanne Sher August 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

>Absolutely FASCINATING. Just WOW.

13. Chris Sullivan August 20, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

>The world changed. It isn't going to stop changing but its not going to change back either.

Interesting to see how businesses are evolving. The SEC came out with a policy that essentially banned social media or any communication at their games, partially because they are scared one day that people will be able to stream video from games one day and they won't have control anymore.