Don’t Drive Angry

If there is anyone reading this that has not seen the movie Groundhog Day, the following preview will provide a good overview of the movie:

If given the opportunity, would you subject yourself to reliving the same day over and over until you get it right?

I love this movie so much. (Yes, I know it’s old, but still.) Phil Conners is a self-indulgent, jaded weather man who finds himself reliving the same day over and over again. There are some hilarious scenes in the movie, but the lesson is poignant. After many attempts to “get it right”, he finally figures out that a life lived in the service of others is a life truly worth living.

We don’t have the luxury of getting a do-over for the same day, but in some ways each day can be a do-over. We can choose

love over indifference,
encouragement over condemnation,
courage over fearfulness,
integrity over popularity,
grace over revenge,
twitter over facebook (just wanted to see if you were paying attention),
prayer over worry,
confidence over insecurity
fellowship over isolation,
humility over self righteousness

and on, and on…

In the movie, Phil goes to unbelievable lengths to be the man of Rita’s (played by Andi McDowell) dreams. With reckless abandon, he does whatever he feels he needs to do win her heart.

And I wonder, how might we change the world if we pursued the heart of Jesus like that every day?

Your turn.

What will you choose today?

« « Previous Post: Handling the Remote (by Billy Coffey) | Next Post: The Darwinian Evolution & the Ink Panther (by Rob Johnson) » »

18 Responses to “Don’t Drive Angry”

1. Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought February 2, 2010 at 8:54 am #

>Early on when my husband and I were dating we watched this movie over and over. Watching it felt like Groundhog Day. It's hysterical.

I praise God for do-overs. I love his grace.
    ~ Wendy

2. Nitewrit February 2, 2010 at 9:15 am #

>This is on my list of favorite films.

Larry

3. Annie K February 2, 2010 at 10:08 am #

>Who doesn't love a good 'classic'.

4. ~*Michelle*~ February 2, 2010 at 10:14 am #

>I was trying to work this movie reference into my Groundhog Post today and totally got off track…..

…..love how you brought God's do-over style grace into this post.

Awesome!

5. bman February 2, 2010 at 10:21 am #

>That movie is awesome. Bill Murray at his best. Remember when he was funny?

Great post, and so very true!

6. @bibledude February 2, 2010 at 11:13 am #

>Whoa… dude… THAT is one deep question. Thanks for stirring up my thinking today. I imagine that the world would be VERY different if we all pursued Him with that same kind of passion. We'd probably see many more people serving others in their moment of need, and that would be an awesome thing to see.

Great post…
    Dan King

7. Jeanne Damoff February 2, 2010 at 11:27 am #

>I love that movie, too, and would most likely watch it today if I weren't going to be so busy loving, encouraging, and praying, not to mention showing courage, integrity, grace, confidence and humility (confidence and humility are my middle names, after all). However, I must make a confession. I prefer facebook to twitter. It's true, for a whole bunch of reasons I won't take the time to list, because I must get started on all that on and on. But please know I still love you madly, even if your priorities are a bit skewed.

Happy Groundhog Day, KD. Have fun getting it right. xo

8. Maureen February 2, 2010 at 11:52 am #

>Kudos for an excellent post.

Positive over negative. . .

9. Bridget Chumbley February 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

>I saw my shadow this morning… now what?

Great post, katdish. Left me with lots to think about.

10. Helen February 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

>Compassion over indifference.

It's also Candlemas btw. I should be taking my Christmas decorations down…

11. Wendy February 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

>Great. There goes my plans for driving angry today. Why would you want to go and make me think, katdish?

12. jasonS February 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

>Great post and reminder. Yes, I love this movie.

And I guess I'll cross "reckless rodent driving" off my to-do list for today. You are so persuasive!

13. Kathleen February 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

>This movie taught me about grace and how do-overs
    don't have condemnation attached. I didn't know. It was a huge relief, the 'failing forward' concept. John Maxwell, Bill Murray and Jesus?

14. Bonnie Gray February 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

>*I* *LOVE* *GROUNDHOG DAY* .. ! And Caddyshack.. and Ghostbusters..

.. wait a minute.. back to your post..

Yes! I love the idea of breaking out of the everyday mold and just LOVE God, like I've never dared to. It makes darn good day-dreaming.

15. Kelly Langner Sauer February 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

>I choose… naptime over computer time. This means cuddles, instead of putting the kids down. It's a good choice. This was a good post. Thanks for visiting at my place too!

16. L.T. Elliot February 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

>My father used to hate this movie but it kept coming on cable (kind of like living the movie) and he now loves it. I always liked it but thought I'd try to off myself a great deal many times if I had to relive the same day. It's hard enough to live a new day!

17. Graceful February 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

>Ah, God's good grace…the ultimate do-over. I call it the mulligan — a term from golf (I don't play, but my husband does), that allows the golfer to take a do-over shot (not in PGA playing, of course, but just for the average players out on the links for an afternoon). Man I take a lot of mulligans in life.

Can you believe I have never seen the movie "Groundhog Day?" No lie.

18. Sarah Salter February 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

>I grew up 6 miles away from a little town with one theatre. They showed this movie every night for about 3 months. My friends and I were bored enough to go see it three weekends in a row. One of those nights, a student of my Mom's pulled a knife on us… But that's another story.

Good movie! I love the way God gives us second chances!