Katdishionary Part 3

Ah yes, fair readers. It’s time for yet another installment in this never ending flowing fountain of blog fodder known as Katdishionary, where I attempt to explain the origins of made up words found here and other places I frequent around the internets.

In case you missed the first two installments, you may find them here:

The Katdish Dictionary Part One

Katdishionary Part Two

And now, on with the katdishionary:

Getcherfreakon โ€“ (pronounced get-cher-freak-on)

Definition: Alternative title for a post in which I was supposed to described 7 weird things about myself.

Origin: Getcherfreakon : Here is a brief (or not) excerpt from the original post:

My buddy Steph at The Red Clay Diaries tagged me to write seven weird things about myself. Seriously, it would be more of a challenge to write seven things that were normal about me, but whatever. So, I thought I’d throw in some things that would you might find surprising about me, because I’m fairly sure you’re down with the fact that I’m pretty weird. Well, here goes:

1) Since some of my blogger friends kept commenting on my blog, thereby distracting me from writing this post (I’m ignoring you Steph, by the way), by the time I was ready to write this, all the clever titles had been taken. So I was originally going to call this blog post “HOT MONKEY SEX“. But then I thought about what kind of traffic a title like that might bring in, and how bitterly disappointed they would be, and thought better of it.

Lawsome(law-some)

Definition: A combination of the words lame and awesome, meaning both equally lame and awesome.

Origin: Used to describe my friend Angela of Vanities of Vanities who is lawsome because she disagrees with me sometimes and gets all pretend indignant with me. Lawsome.

Man Candy(pronounced man-can-dee)

Definition: a term used to describe my using Monday’s guest blogger Billy Coffey to attract a wider female audience. (Which, BTW, it totally did.)

Origin: The comments section of Billy’s intro to this blog, Answer: An Increase in Female Readership where Wendy from Weight What made the following comment:

Using Billy as man-candy? Shame on you! Now do it some more.

(See also mantastic)

Snort (pronounced snort!)

Definition: The representation of laughter in written form. Although, truth be told I don’t actually “snort” when I laugh. I either belt out a rather loud “bah ha ha” or snicker like Muttley, Dick Dastardly’s sidekick in those old Hanna Barbera cartoons.

Origin: Oh, heck. It’s late. I can’t remember…

***

This concludes this portion of the Katdishionary. Stayed tuned for more installments soon. And as always, Sorry/you’re welcome.

« « Previous Post: Community and a Contest | Next Post: So, who is the boss of me anyway? » »

28 Responses to “Katdishionary Part 3”

1. Bina February 12, 2010 at 3:29 am #

>I just used cocoon-ment over at my place today…so I am game for anything you can throw, girlfriend!! ๐Ÿ™‚

You make-a me giggle…

2. L.T. Elliot February 12, 2010 at 3:33 am #

>ROFL! I loved the man-candy comment. You wicked thing, you!

3. shrinkthecamel February 12, 2010 at 7:17 am #

>This was actually quite enlightening and entertaining all at once. But mostly, it was lawsome.

4. Graceful February 12, 2010 at 8:55 am #

>You really crack me up…and my 4-year old Rowan likes that laughing dog…

5. bman February 12, 2010 at 9:02 am #

>Awesome. I'm learning so much.

6. Heather of the EO February 12, 2010 at 9:46 am #

>Wait. Who is Billy Coffey? I thought that guy in the picture was Kenny Chesney. This is so confusing.

7. Annie K February 12, 2010 at 10:26 am #

>Snort: Origin Steph at Red Clay Diaries.

The first time she used it I thought she was a pig farmer from Georgia.

8. ~*Michelle*~ February 12, 2010 at 10:34 am #

>Ahhhhhhh, thanks for throwing me way back to the Hanna Barbera Days of Yore.

Loved the Banana Splits!

9. Amy Sorrells February 12, 2010 at 10:37 am #

>Snort Gaaaaa and ROTFL!!!

10. Helen February 12, 2010 at 10:43 am #

>I like snort so much better than lol. I never liked being a copycat. I don't feel like a copycat when I type snort, because I was around when it was developed. LOL developed without me, and so I shun it.

11. Maureen February 12, 2010 at 10:57 am #

>I think "man candy" is better than "arm candy". Calculate the difference: With the one you get the whole, with the other just the part.

12. Helen February 12, 2010 at 10:59 am #

>Maureen,
    TWSS….

13. katdish February 12, 2010 at 11:01 am #

>Helen – Snort!

14. Nick the Geek February 12, 2010 at 11:30 am #

>Kathy, you are lawsome with an extra side of L

15. Nick the Geek February 12, 2010 at 11:39 am #

>Helen,

Lol came about in the early days of IRC … I was there for that. I hear my students say "L.O.L" and many other such acronyms and I kick myself for having any part in the origin of them and then I kick them for saying it out loud like an idiot because seriously, you can't say "LOL" if you are actually laughing our loud so it is just stupid.

16. Wendy February 12, 2010 at 11:46 am #

>I would pay good money to hear you snicker like Muttley. And by good money, I mean the spare change I pulled out of the sofa cusions. You need 12ยข, don't you?

17. jasonS February 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm #

>It's so nice that your blog is attempting to be educational. You are truly enriching our lives. You're like Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds only without (most of) the gang violence…

18. Kathleen February 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

>I'm with Camel. ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Bridget Chumbley February 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

>Getcherfreakon would be a lawsome word for a blog carnival… *snort*

20. katdish February 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm #

>Bridget – Hey! A katdishionary version of Scrabble? Oh, the marketing possibilities are endless!

21. Billy Coffey February 12, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

>Wait, so all this time you've been using me?!

Okay, whatever.

22. Sarah Salter February 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

>Kathy, when are you going to have Steph guest post again? Maybe she can teach us some new words (and give you blog fodder for Katdishionary, Part 17). :o)

23. katdish February 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

>Sarah – Are you kidding me? I had to beg her for the last guest post!

24. Steph @Red Clay Diaries February 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

>I would've stopped by earlier but we Georgians are having Blizzard '10 right now. (TWO. WHOLE. INCHES!)

Annie, I AM a pig farmer from Georgia. Remember? pig head in freezer? And thank you for giving me credit. I THOUGHT it was me, but I make a lot of things up.

I never knew what lawsome was, so I've been educated today.

Also, how would you spell Muttley's snicker? I totally want to start using that too.

25. Jeff February 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

>I just want to weigh-in with the opinion that JasonS's comment was pure brilliance. Especially the qualifier that your blog is missing MOST of the gang violence. I've always felt that way…

Oh, and for Steph's question about how to spell Muttley's snicker, why not just use the initials: MS? Sure, only certain people (i.e., those who read this) will understand, but doesn't that just make it all the more appealing?

26. โ™ฅ Kathy February 12, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

>SNORT!!

27. Michelle Potter February 13, 2010 at 1:40 am #

>Kathy, just wanted to tell you that I have given you a Beautiful Bloggers Award. You can see it here:

28. JML February 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

>I play the role of man candy on occasion. I have a friend who invites me to EVERY SINGLE BLOODY WEDDING SHE GOES TO. I'm not kidding, so I go as her arm candy. It's fun-ish. ๐Ÿ˜€