Angel

Inspiration comes from many places. I’ve been a long time fan of Sarah McLachlan, and Angel has always been a favorite of mine. But it was not until I heard an interview with her on the radio yesterday that I learned the inspiration for this song. It seems she had been touring for 2 years straight and heard of the drug overdose of a member of the band Smashing Pumpkins. Reflecting upon how life on the road robs you of yourself, she penned the lyrics.

But you don’t have to be a touring recording artist for life to rob you of joy; to make you feel as though your dreams are beyond your grasp; to feel isolated and alone even when surrounded by people. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, I pray that you reach out to an angel. They walk among us–and we are each other’s angels. Reach out, not in.

Angel by Sarah McLachlan

Spend all your time waiting
For that second chance
For a break that would make it okay
There’s always one reason
To feel not good enough
And it’s hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction
Oh beautiful release
Memory seeps from my veins
Let me be empty
And weightless and maybe
I’ll find some peace tonight

In the arms of an angel
Fly away from here
From this dark cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
You’re in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort there

So tired of the straight line
And everywhere you turn
There’s vultures and thieves at your back
And the storm keeps on twisting
You keep on building the lie
That you make up for all that you lack
It don’t make no difference
Escaping one last time
It’s easier to believe in this sweet madness oh
This glorious sadness that brings me to my knees

In the arms of an angel
Fly away from here
From this dark cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent reverie
You’re in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort there
You’re in the arms of the angel
May you find some comfort here

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.” ~ Hebrews 13:2-3

« « Previous Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly: pageants | Next Post: It’s (unfollow) Hammer Time! » »

11 Responses to “Angel”

1. sherri June 18, 2010 at 7:28 am #

One of my favorites.

Meaningful lyrics- haunting voice. Love this lady’s gift.
    .-= sherri´s last blog ..Bonnaroo? Bonna-who? =-.

2. Linda Yezak June 18, 2010 at 8:41 am #

Love the song–and what you’ve done to your site! Lookin’ good, Kat!

3. Louise June 18, 2010 at 8:45 am #

This is one of my favourites too — and thank you for the inspiration this morning. You always lighten my spirit and illuminate my path with your brilliance.

Hugs

Louise
    .-= Louise´s last blog ..Adjusting to what is =-.

4. A Simple Country Girl June 18, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Oh, what a song. This reaching out, both as the one in need and as the one offering hope, is indeed an antidote to the overwhelming because “there’s always one reason not to feel good enough.”

Thank you for kindness in this post. I am sticking it in my pocket and taking it with me today.

.-= A Simple Country Girl´s last blog ..It Beats My Heart =-.

5. Helen June 18, 2010 at 9:42 am #

Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing this and encouraging me to really listen,
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..I’m Guest Posting at Connecting to Impact Today =-.

6. Maureen June 18, 2010 at 10:15 am #

She’s great. Thank you for your words and hers.
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..Hit List: Summer Reading =-.

7. Jay Cookingham June 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Love the song…didn’t know the story behind until now.
    Very powerful.

Jay
    .-= Jay Cookingham´s last blog ..Faith Heroes – A Classroom with Heart =-.

8. bman June 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

As a man, I’ve never listened to Sarah McLachlan… and I’m not going to start now… but the lyrics are great. And you’re right… lots of things can rob you of joy. Thanks!
    .-= bman´s last blog ..A Missions Conference =-.

9. Nikole Hahn June 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

Beautiful.

10. Sandra Heska King June 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

Never really listened to the words other than the chorus. And Like listening to an angel. Thanks so much for sharing this.
    .-= Sandra Heska King´s last blog ..To My Sissy On Her Birthday =-.

11. Duane Scott June 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

One of my all time favorites! Her vocal talent is made incredible by the emotion and powerful lyrics that accompany it. That’s a great story!
    .-= Duane Scott´s last blog ..Pleasantly Disturbed Thursdays Vol. 1 =-.