Katdishionary Part 8

Ah, yes gentle reader. It is once again time for another installment of the epic and never-ending series of blog fodder known as the katdishionary. For your convenience, I have combined all previous posts in one place. (See the katdishionary tab) If there are other words you have observed me using that have yet to make it into the katdishionary, please feel free to share them in the comments section of that page. And as always, sorry/you’re welcome.

And now, on with the katdishionary:

Awesome Cat(pronounced: Ah-sum-kat)

Definition: Awesome Cat defies definition. He is awesome. The end.

Origin: My friend Shaun sent me the picture, which he found on Digg. As soon as I saw it, I knew Awesome Cat must be the unofficial mascot of the brain trust that is the Fellowship of the Traveling Smartypants.

Badgertastic – (pronounced ba-jer-ta-stik)

Definition: Very definitively and enthusiastically having to do with badgers.

Origin: Sleep Talkin’ Man Blog – a blog that chronicles the nocturnal ramblings of a seemingly mild manned English chap by day who tends to get a tad profane whist sleeping: “My badger’s gonna unleash hell on your ass. Badgertastic!” (Note: not suitable for all audiences.)

Example: Did you read SCL’s post about proposed VBS games? My favorite was Badger in a Bag. Badgertastic!

Badger in a Bag(pronounced: ba-jer-in-a-bag)

Definition: A VBS game concept described as follows: “Let’s hide pieces of caramel in a bag and then put a really angry badger in the same bag. To win, you have to successfully grab a piece of candy from the bag without losing a finger.” ~ Jon Acuff

Origin: Stuff Christians Like Post #275 – Playing Red Rover at VBS

Example: To heck with our liability insurance! Let’s bring badger in a bag back to VBS this year!

Faction(pronounced (fak-shun)

Definition: A memoir written by a relatively unknown and unpublished author with no ties to celebrities (in or out of rehab) which is rewritten as a novel in order to draw a larger audience.

Origin: Very savvy and smart publishers. (And no, I’m not being sarcastic. It’s brilliant marketing.)

Example: Snow Day by Billy Coffey. Available October 11, 2010 at bookstores everywhere. Buy one. Heck, buy 100. They make great stocking stuffers!

HRM(pronounced: H-R-M)

Definition: Acronym for Helen of Random Musings. HRM is used to differentiate Helen when she interviews herself on her blog.

Origin: “I first thought of interviewing myself when Former Governor Blagojevich was causing a media circus by going on any show that would have him claiming that he shouldn’t be impeached because he hasn’t been convicted of a crime. (And that he is innocent, and Rahm Emmanuel should be subpoenaed to testify on his behalf at his impeachment hearing, blaj blaj blaj (sic)….) His antics were driving me crazy, and it occurred to me that by using a split personality as a literary device, I’d be able to demonstrate to people reading just how crazy. My friends liked the interviews and suggested I do them more often, so I have.” – Helen (aka HRM)

Examples:

Blagojevich Part I

Blagojevich Part II

How I Didn’t Become a Nun

Dancing With the Kumquats (My Supermarket Salsa Post)

About My Fortieth Birthday

My New Year’s Resolutions

Midyear New Year’s Resolution Update

Skunkalicious(pronounced: skun-ka-li-shous)

Definition: The state of not wanting to leave the house due to an excess period between root touch ups which gives me the appearance of wearing an odoriferous rodent on my head.

Origin: Genetics. Asian DNA which causes premature graying. I started going gray in my late 20’s. Sadly, the math gene was not passed on to me.

Example: Sorry. I can’t meet you for lunch today. I’m feeling a bit skunkalicious.

This concludes this edition of the katdishionary. Always a pleasure to educate the internets.

« « Previous Post: Writing Faction | Next Post: Beware the grumpy twitter ho! » »

20 Responses to “Katdishionary Part 8”

1. Glynn July 2, 2010 at 12:27 am #

You will to do updates at least weekly. I’ve become addicted.
    .-= Glynn´s last blog ..Terrance Hayes Lighthead- Poems =-.

• katdish July 2, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Well, yessir!

2. Wendy July 2, 2010 at 1:29 am #

I want to play Badger in a Bag! I mean, it’s for caramel afterall.
    .-= Wendy´s last blog ..My dirty little secret =-.

3. Louise July 2, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Yup. Definitely need a weekly diet of these scrumdilyicious, mind fodderiferous nuggets of wisdom! 🙂
    .-= Louise´s last blog ..Words- a weapon of mass destruction =-.

4. Marni July 2, 2010 at 9:43 am #

Skunkalicious…snort!

Not to be confused with skankalicious, which for me, is the fear of leaving my house in the summertime because all the young women in my town clearly are having some sort of “let’s see who can dress like a stripper, but not quite get arrested for indecent exposure” contest.

5. sherri July 2, 2010 at 10:52 am #

I think “prostitots” is still my fav.

• katdish July 2, 2010 at 10:56 am #

Prostitots! I KNEW I was forgetting something!

6. Sandra Heska King July 2, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Now I have a bad case of snortacosis!
    .-= Sandra Heska King´s last blog ..A Paper Bag- a Window- and a Tongue Blade =-.

7. Tony C July 2, 2010 at 11:50 am #

Mark down yet another day I have sought and found education.

I keep telling my teenager it’s a life-long journey…
    .-= Tony C´s last blog ..A cooked cultivar can lead to many different outcomes =-.

8. jasonS July 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

What Tony said. Always keep learning, even if they’re made up words for mostly humorous pursuits–always keep learning! 🙂
    .-= jasonS´s last blog ..Light Friday Hit List- 7-2-10 =-.

9. A Simple Country Girl July 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Ya learn something new every single day. It’s a good thing I am no longer the kid at the dinner table sharing my brain fodder with the family…

When will this be available at the bookstore?

.-= A Simple Country Girl´s last blog ..Freed =-.

10. Jamie July 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

I greatly enjoy made-up words. I make them up myself quite often, but not on purpose. Marni’s “skankalicious” cracks me up, too.

If I was prone to snort, I think I would’ve. 🙂

By the way, I think you look great, skunkalicious or not!
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..Homeschool Plans and Optimism =-.

11. Bridget July 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

You’ve got the best readers ever! The comments could keep you writing indefinitely.

Sadly, I’m a bit skunkalicious myself… better do something about that SOON!
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Fun Friday…Eclipse =-.

12. Kathy July 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

Skunkalicious is my favorite..it implies that you are both skunky and delicious!
    .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Its seems like I just have fragments =-.

13. sherri July 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Seriously- this is so much better than the redneck words that Jeff Foxworthy throws around– a book is inevitable! We want to read it- you have the platform -we will tell our friends and so on….. a publisher will not say no!

Chapter One: “PROSTITOTS”

Then your post describing the poor children and how the word came to be. Along with the skanktacular photos!

Best seller. Promise.

14. Jay Cookingham July 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

My family is always making fun of my “dictionary”…like when something stinks…”Phew, it smells funkmonkey in there!”

Love your post!

JC
    .-= Jay Cookingham´s last blog ..Bad Sheep Time – A Cup of Joe =-.

15. Maureen July 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

I think you should print some of these up on bookmarks, which, btw, are great marketing tools. Billy could stuff them inside copies of Snow Day after he signs them.
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..All Art Friday =-.

16. Jake July 3, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

I like Awesome cat. I want to call it ASS-OME cat. But that’s another story. I’ve had serious thoughts about doing that with some of my running buddies on the trail we always go down. “Have you seen this person? Because they’re a bloody wretch”– or something like that.
    .-= Jake´s last blog ..One Word at a Time- Strength =-.

17. Helen July 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

Thanks for including HRM in your katdishionary. I feel honored.

I have light brown hair, but I know what you mean. One of these days I’ll have to do something about my grey (yes Lianie, that IS how I want to spell it, because grey on my head IS dismal) streaks. Until then, I am continuing the tradition of naming them after the students who cause them. Oh, and Sister Principal… 😉
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..Pleasantly Disturbed Thursday- Toys- Toddlers- Tea- and Hats =-.