Katdishionary Part 9

I can hardly believe this is the 9th installment of the never-ending series of blog fodder known as the katdishionary. As I mentioned in my last installment, all previous katdishionary words are compiled for your convenience on the tab marked “katdishionary”. Um, except the last installment of words.

Hey…I’m busy.

And now, on with the katdishionary:

Decrapification (pronounced de-cra-pi-fi-ka-shun)

Definition: The process of purging a space of a bunch of crap you don’t need.

Origin: After months of allowing birthday party goody bags and happy meal trinket collections, et al, through my front door and into my children’s rooms, I had had enough.

Example: “My daughter’s room has reached critical mass. Let the decrapification process begin!”

grumpy ho (pronounced grum-p-ho)

Definition: slang term for someone who is often cranky, but simultaneously delightful.

Origin: Jake from Very Much Later. The original grumpy ho.

Example: “Jake Lee is my favorite grumpy ho.”

Lethargeriffic(pronounced le-thar-ja-rif-fic)

Definition: the condition of being perfectly lazy.

Origin: Brian Russell made it up on the twitter in hopes of making it into the katdishionary update more than once (see nerdgasm). A coveted distinction, to be sure. Or not.

Example: “Earlier this year, I watched the first five seasons of Lost in as many weeks, including some days when I never changed out of my pajamas. It was truly a lethargeriffic experience!”

Rectoretinitis (pronounced rek-tor-re-tin-ni-tus)

Definition: When the nerves in your eyes get crossed with the nerves in your butt causing you have a crappy outlook on life.

Origin: Candy Steele, RN and a co-worker created this diagnosis when looking for legitimate reasons for people being so difficult to work with.

Candy Steele circa 1981

“After 20 years of working for the U. S. Postal Service, Newman had a severe case of rectoretinitis.”

Vurp (pronounced verp)

Definition: a more expediant way of communicating “I just threw up in my mouth a little.”

Origin: My initial reaction after learning of Helen at Random Musing’s fondness for head cheese.

Example: “Wait…you actually eat head cheese? Vurp!”

This concludes this edition of the katdishionary. Keeps those cards and letters coming!

« « Previous Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly…Ring bell for good service | Next Post: In my defense, it was a very big frog… » »

28 Responses to “Katdishionary Part 9”

1. Bridget July 9, 2010 at 12:17 am #

I’ve been cleaning closets this week and can relate to decrapification in a BIG way.

Candy is rocking that nurse outfit… seriously!

Head cheese looks absolutely terrifying and VERP needs to be in all CAPS with !!!!!
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Freedom =-.

2. n. davis rosback, nAncY July 9, 2010 at 12:22 am #

yayes! i love it.
    .-= n. davis rosback, nAncY´s last blog ..one sunny day =-.

3. Duane Scott July 9, 2010 at 12:36 am #

Wow…. I love Candy! That was the best word I think I have ever had the honor of encountering. That rocked.

I know some people with that condition. 🙂

Thanks again for another installment! They rock. 🙂
    .-= Duane Scott´s last blog ..New Blog Button for Thursdays =-.

4. ~Brenda July 9, 2010 at 12:44 am #

Hi. My name is Brenda and I’m a grumpy ho.

Well on my way to recovery.

Or something.
    .-= ~Brenda´s last blog ..pleasantly disturbed a beautiful day in the neighborhood =-.

5. A Simple Country Girl July 9, 2010 at 12:58 am #

I previously knew a “vurp” to be a juicy burp. (I reckon it’s better than a vart? A juicy fart.)

Oh, I am so sorry. But (no pun intended) I just cracked myself up so bad that I may have rebounded from my state of lethargerifficism. Huh?

Okay, happy day.

.-= A Simple Country Girl´s last blog ..Tears =-.

6. A Simple Country Girl July 9, 2010 at 1:01 am #

Again, I apologize. I really needed a laugh and your post did it for me. Almost to the point of hysteria. Then I thought I was funny. And I shared it unabashedly. And somewhat messily.

😉
    .-= A Simple Country Girl´s last blog ..Tears =-.

• katdish July 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

VART? Snort!

7. Bradley J. Moore July 9, 2010 at 6:31 am #

Your Katdishionary is so useful and pragmatic. Especially verp. And Decrapify. I will certainly be using those words later today.

Now, since you are the expert here on new slang/jargon, please go and comment on my new urban/business-gangsta phrase that I coined last week. I need to know if this will catch on or not.

.-= Bradley J. Moore´s last blog ..A Powerful Prayer for Workplace Moments =-.

8. Cassandra Frear July 9, 2010 at 8:13 am #

Some of these are disgusting. Ew.

But I like “lethargerrific” — I like it very much.

Oh, and I left a longish post for you on grocery shopping.
    .-= Cassandra Frear´s last blog ..Celebrate- =-.

9. Sandra Heska King July 9, 2010 at 8:41 am #

Ewwwwww.

My father-in-law used to eat souse. I think it’s head cheese with pimento. He complained about having none while he was in the nursing home. So DH went to the store to discover they had discontinued selling it. Dad must have been their only customer.

DH: “It’s not bad.”

Me: “You TRIED it?”

DH: “Well, yeah.”

I WILL NEVER KISS HIM AGAIN.

VERP!
    .-= Sandra Heska King´s last blog ..Squirrel Thoughts – 3 and The Right to Write =-.

10. Helen July 9, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Is that really Candy? She looks so content in that uniform! SNORT! But she does look cute!

At the risk that Sandra may never kiss me, I have to say, that that is one delicious looking piece of headcheese! Yum!

(Almost every sentence has an exclamation point in this comment! Yay!)
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..Pleasantly Disturbed Thursday- Toys- Toddlers- Tea- and Hats =-.

11. Annie K July 9, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Candy ROCKS the nurse uniform fo’sho.
    .-= Annie K´s last blog ..I Live in The Craziest Place on Earth- What Happens When You Euthanize a Few Annoying Geese =-.

12. Billy Coffey July 9, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Wait. You watched five seasons of Lost in five weeks? I don’t know if I’m proud of you or just a little sad.
    .-= Billy Coffey´s last blog ..Heroes =-.

• katdish July 9, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Oh, shut up…Enabler!

13. Jake July 9, 2010 at 10:05 am #

MY NERDS (Affectionately) CALL ME GRUMPY HO!!!!!

Kathy, you just made my day, because the rest of this week has been Vurp and I thought I was developing Rectoretinitis because of it. which might actually be a more advanced stage of whatever the hell made me into a grumpy ho to begin with. 😀
    .-= Jake´s last blog ..One Word at a Time- Strength =-.

14. Marni July 9, 2010 at 11:58 am #

Ooooh, Nurse Candy has got it goin on 😉 Snort!!!

I’ve dubbed this the “Summer of Suck” and thus am deep, deep into Grumpy Ho mode. I may even move into Cranky Ho mode (which is Grumpy Ho, with occassional bouts of chardonnay consumption and refusal to shave my legs).

15. Candy July 9, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

I can’t believe nobody mentioned my pointy cap. I threw it out not too long ago during a decrapification process. Seriously, who wants to be handed a bedpan by something wearing a pointy cap and bust ruffles? Glad those days are behind me.
    .-= Candy´s last blog ..Tasty Bites- Brown Rice Penne with Roasted Brussels Sprouts =-.

• jasonS July 9, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Bust ruffles?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAA -that is hilarious and I believe this should make a future edition of Katdishionary. 🙂
      .-= jasonS´s last blog ..Worry Is Bad =-.

• Marni July 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

Bust ruffles? Snort! Remember those baby girl bloomers you could get that had cute ruffles on the hiney? I bought those for my oldest and when she had them on, I was compelled to call her “ruffle butt” the rest of the day. I had to stop when she learned to repeat.
      .-= Marni´s last blog ..Pleasantly Disturbed Thursdays =-.

16. jasonS July 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Seriously, is that a picture of headcheese? I can’t even look at that. It’s like a very special episode of Fear Factor all in itself. It appears to have been forged in the pits of hell and sent to earth to trap unsuspecting passersby. It’s evil! Did I mention I don’t like headcheese?
    .-= jasonS´s last blog ..Worry Is Bad =-.

17. laura July 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Ohmygosh! These always make me laugh so hard. That picture of the pooch is priceless! Here’s my contribution: I had to curb my terrible habit of cursing while driving…especially when my children are in the car with me. Enter the “dumass”. pronuciation: du(long u)-mahss (sort of as in Randy DeMoss except with a long u instead of e sound). Definition–an idiot driver who usually pulls in front of me or one drives very slow in the fast lane. Origin–a combination of the words “dumb” and “a–“. Though my children do not know this.
    .-= laura´s last blog ..Redeemed =-.

18. Maureen July 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

There’s a columnist at The Washington Post who frequently writes about a foul concoction from England. Next time he mentions it, I’m going to send him this post. He’d love it.

Btw, you could trick up this dictionary with a few designations: n., adj., adv., v. Just to keep the usage straight and all. I’m just saying….

Thanks for the mid-day laugh.

Laura: You could just say “Alexander Dumas”. My husband would say the Frenchification of the particular situation is apt.
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..Interview with Poet Jenne R Andrews Part 2 =-.

19. Glynn July 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm #

The picture with vurp makes me want to do exactly that – vurp.
    .-= Glynn´s last blog ..Lament What =-.

20. Jason July 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

I am so working “vurp” into my daily lexicon.
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..TPWC Day 8- The battle is joined =-.

21. Robin Arnold July 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

I’m married to a sausage maker. Headcheese no longer worries me and you need not worry either. You have way more to worry about in the average hotdog. Just trust me.

Teaching decrapification early is key. You are a good mother.
    .-= Robin Arnold´s last blog ..Cat food rant -amp other disturbed thoughts =-.

22. Beth July 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

Dang, you guys make me laugh! Oh, you too, Katdish.
    Marni, Candy, I too thought the shart thing even though I HATE that word. Hate it. Sigh…

My made up cuss word phrase is…wait for it…growl monkeys. A lot of good consonants there to really get into.