Words

The written word is such a powerful thing. Words build up, encourage, give hope, express love and communicate powerful and life changing messages. They can also be incredibly destructive and hurtful. Whoever said “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”, was clearly living in denial. Words have the power we choose to give to them.

I’ve said before that for me, honest writing is the best kind. But even honest writing must serve a purpose. I heard this song recently and it really resonated with me. Our words should be about more than just spilling our guts and airing our dirty laundry for the sake of being “transparent” or “real”.

Secrets (by One Republic)
I need another story
Something to get off my chest
My life gets kinda boring
Need something that I can confess
Til’ all my sleeves are stained red
From all the truth that I’ve said
Come by it honestly I swear
Thought you saw wink, no
I’ve been on the brink, so

Tell me what you want to hear
Something that were like those years
Sick of all the insincere
So I’m gonna give all my secrets away
This time, don’t need another perfect line
Don’t care if critics never jump in line
I’m gonna give all my secrets away

My god, amazing how we got this far
It’s like we’re chasing all those stars
Who’s driving shiny big black cars
And everyday I see the news
All the problems that we could solve
And when a situation rises
Just write it into an album
Singing straight, too cold
I don’t really like my flow, no, so

Tell me what you want to hear
Something that were like those years
Sick of all the insincere
So I’m gonna give all my secrets away
This time, don’t need another perfect line
Don’t care if critics never jump in line
I’m gonna give all my secrets away

Oh, got no reason, got not shame
Got no family I can blame
Just don’t let me disappear
I’mma tell you everything

So tell me what you want to hear
Something that were like those years
Sick of all the insincere
So I’m gonna give all my secrets away
This time, don’t need another perfect line
Don’t care if critics never jump in line
I’m gonna give all my secrets away

Our words should serve a greater purpose. There needs to be a point to our stories–even if the point is simply to point out our shared expereinces as a means to feel connected to one another. Otherwise, what’s the use? We might as well shut it down and watch reality television 24-7.

« « Previous Post: What makes us laugh? (Repost) | Next Post: Practice (or mostly wordless Thursday) » »

35 Responses to “Words”

1. jasonS August 11, 2010 at 12:32 am #

Totally agree. Being real and transparent is good, but if all you’re doing is spewing on someone else, it’s more than a little self-serving. Some great thought-provoking stuff and I love that song.

Thanks…
    .-= jasonS´s last blog ..5 Things I Don’t Get- Laughter Edition =-.

2. Peter P August 11, 2010 at 3:10 am #

Precisely!

3. Candy August 11, 2010 at 8:29 am #

“…even if the point is simply to point out our shared expereinces as a means to feel connected to one another.” Yep. Gonna reconnect.

Thank you.
    .-= Candy´s last blog ..Tasty Bites- Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Corn =-.

4. Annie K August 11, 2010 at 9:02 am #

Words are a lot like makeup. Sometimes less is more.
    .-= Annie K´s last blog ..An Excellent Use of Time =-.

5. Kelly Langner Sauer August 11, 2010 at 9:42 am #

I’m gonna have to laugh. Seriously.

I’m just… wow. I feel obnoxious over my own post now… *slinks off, embarrassed*
    .-= Kelly Langner Sauer´s last blog ..A Bit of Fry and Laurie- “Tricky Linguistics” =-.

• katdish August 11, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Don’t feel obnoxious over your post! That post brought joy to my heart! Seriously!

6. A Simple Country Girl August 11, 2010 at 10:23 am #

Three things:

1-Of course, I agree (having just aired my laundry here last week in a manner I pray was pleasing to God, all while connecting with some souls).
    2-I read and I watched and I listened…and I don’t get it. Was she done talking good just to look good and now she wants someone not so shallow so she can be real? (It’s early and I am slow like that.)

.-= A Simple Country Girl´s last blog ..What Day Is It =-.

• katdish August 11, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Truth be told, your post was the inspiration for this post, because yours was a wonderful example of how we share our stories to help others and to glorify God. As to the video, I don’t know–I was more interested in the lyrics of the song. Sometimes the pictures don’t go with the words in my opinion. As to the 3-cup undergarment, some things I think folks should keep to themselves.

• *~Michelle~* August 11, 2010 at 10:29 am #

“3-Why hasn’t anyone else said anything about that middle undergarment hanging on that clothes line? ”

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, I just spit out my coffee!
      .-= *~Michelle~*´s last blog ..giggle =-.

7. *~Michelle~* August 11, 2010 at 10:27 am #

ohhhhhh I like Annie’s comment. So true.

I tend to blabber about shtufff that I am going through….so this post really has me thinking. ACK.

But, I do have my thoughts on how *far* some people take it though….in the sense of self-serving.
    .-= *~Michelle~*´s last blog ..giggle =-.

8. Jim H August 11, 2010 at 11:51 am #

I’ve got to admit I was so distracted by the picture that I almost missed the first line “I need another story Something to get off my chest” then I laughed even harder.
    Thanks for all your “words” I appreciate your forthrightness.

9. Sandra Heska King August 11, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

Just so you know–I totally skipped the picture to get straight to your words.
    .-= Sandra Heska King´s last blog ..Never Too Late To Laugh =-.

• katdish August 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Well, thanks Sandy. I MUST have a picture to go with a post. It’s just a visual balance sort of thing I suppose. I probably spend way too much time looking for pics for my posts.

• Sandra Heska King August 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

O.K. Let me be totally transparent. I did not totally skip the picture. I saw the picture. I liked the picture. I totally thought the picture was cute. Airing dirty laundry and all. I totally missed the little 3-cup dealie.

And I probably spend too much time looking, too.

Totally.
        .-= Sandra Heska King´s last blog ..Never Too Late To Laugh =-.

10. Maureen August 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

A friend wrote me recently that every time she reads something that tears someone else apart, she writes a poem that conjures up the beauty we too often fail to see.

Good post.
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..Lean Into the Idea Poem =-.

• katdish August 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

That’s amazing. I love that.

11. Bridget August 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I’d only glanced at the pic, but after reading the comments I had to scroll back up… wow!

Great post, Kathy.

12. Jason August 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

Well said Kat.
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..The Garfield Response =-.

13. Kathleen August 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Well spoken. iLike.
    .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..Old Chain =-.

14. Robin Arnold August 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Makes me wonder what on earth someone wrote and where….then OMW could it have been me…and me too, I never looked at your graphic, but when I did I thought pink acorn necklace.
    .-= Robin Arnold´s last blog ..Sweet sweet Saturday =-.

15. Jake August 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

That song is FREAKING TIGHT! I love the album, too. You’re right though, life and death are both held in the power of the tongue (Prov 18:21). We should make sure to kill the right things by bringing them out in the open (confession) and we need to speak life over other people, too. I’m experiencing something lately where we won’t talk about areas where improvement is needed. That necessary “critical” examination of effort has been ignored because we have given confused critical with talking crap… which of course leads me to rants and tantrums where I want to set things on fire and my words get me into trouble.

Oh joy. Words and conversation are so complicated sometimes… or at least we make them so….

Wonderful post, lady!!
    .-= Jake´s last blog ..Freedom 2- Bovines and Behavior =-.

16. @kelybreez August 11, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

At the risk of being a hypocrite, because I’m usually guilty of anything that gives me pause…

It troubles me when I read something done in the name of “doubt,” questions about God, or the motives of the church or ministers, etc… And the overall feeling is that the person is actually just trying to fit into the trendy, cute genre of “being a questioner.”

It’s great form these days. People read it. People love it. And so it’s cute, and it’s fashionable…

And the writer doesn’t even have to ask intellectually honest questions of themselves anymore, such as, “Do I really have the doubt myself, or am I writing this to sell my blog more?” (and as a result, their novel, or their persona, or whatever it is they’re trying to drive traffic to.)

Or they don’t ask, “Does this question truly help someone work through their doubts and grow into a place of seeking God, or am I just tossing out controversy for my own benefit?”

Again, I’m honestly not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud. I just want us, myself included, to be honest. When we write our words in such a way that they CAUSE more doubt, rather than with the hope of probing doubt (with a growth of faith as the hopeful result)… Well, then I think we’ve missed it.

If our desire is just to rattle people’s cages so we’ll be more popular, then I’m asking myself, Am I being like Jesus?

He rattled cages, yes, but with a loving purpose in mind. Always. (I think.)

• katdish August 11, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

@kelybreez,

I’ve read your comment 3 times, and while I agree with your POV, I’m sort of struggling to understand how it applies to the post.

You mention “It troubles me when I read something done in the name of “doubt”, and I’m not making the connection between what I wrote and something written in the name of “doubt”.

I appreciate your comment, I just don’t quite understand where you’re coming from.

• kelybreez August 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Sorry, sorry… I wasn’t refuting your post in any way, I was agreeing wholeheartedly!

I simply lifted the sentence, “But even honest writing must serve a purpose,” and then got to musing on that and took off… It was late at night for me, I was sitting in bed, and probably didn’t think of the way it would look!

Again, I apologize! I was agreeing, and just saying that yes, even honest writing must serve a purpose, and that many bloggers try to sound very honest, but I’m not sure what the purpose is except to bring more traffic. But I, as I am just getting started with a blog myself, will probably be guilty of the same.

For this reason, the finger I was pointing wasn’t a strong finger… More like I was holding it up in the shape of a question mark for myself.

No, katdish, I love your blog, and couldn’t agree more with this post!
        .-= kelybreez´s last blog ..10 things maybe a Christian should never say =-.

• katdish August 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Okay. You’re no longer dead to me…

(Snort! Just kidding. Thanks for clarifying. I was really having a hard time following.)

• @kelybreez August 12, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

Sorry again… Just my disassociative persona taking over as I was falling asleep… My thoughts became disconnected with the idea that a comment should actually make sense in how it connects with the post.

Please forgive and know that I think you’re grand.
            .-= @kelybreez´s last blog ..She’s the pretty one… =-.

• Helen August 12, 2010 at 12:56 am #

I don’t understand what you are trying to say.
      It seems to me that Katdish’s point is to think carefully about what you write and why. It seems you are saying the same thing here Kelybreez. What am I missing?
      .-= Helen´s last blog ..Have Fun!!! Happy Saturday! =-.

17. Jake August 12, 2010 at 12:33 am #

It kind of seems like he might have been responding to me? Here’s what I would say: Asking questions that incite doubt in another believer might not be a great thing at all; but if they’re placing their faith and trust in a place they shouldn’t, then perhaps they need to reconsider what they have faith in? I believe in my leaders, but that doesn’t make them perfect. I believe God uses pastors, but they are still people and make mistakes. As a leader at my church, sometimes I know that we need to stop and really use our words to reflect on any current situation and ask ourselves, “Are we obeying God, or are we doing something completely ridiculous?”

The truth of the matter is this: sometimes we do ridiculous things and without a critical eye to examine our approach to ministry and life in general, we might find ourselves having bigger problems than we anticipated.

I’ve experienced people who literally say, “Don’t question me or where I’m taking this ministry” and I don’t respect it. I don’t want to follow in those footsteps, and I think it’s a prideful and awful thing to say to anyone being led.

Does that help at all??
    .-= Jake´s last blog ..Freedom 2- Bovines and Behavior =-.

• Helen August 12, 2010 at 1:12 am #

I actually didn’t get much of that from your first comment at all. I got from your comment speak out loud and strong, but only on important stuff. But then, it is late, so my comprehension skills may be waning.
      As someone who has been disappointed by some of her leaders lately, I agree with you. I’m not saying that I want to throw them aside and stop paying attention to them. Just that they need to be accountable. I think from what I read, we are on the same page. But then, like I said, it is late…
      .-= Helen´s last blog ..Have Fun!!! Happy Saturday! =-.

• katdish August 12, 2010 at 1:14 am #

Okay, well that makes more sense, and since I’ve been reading your blog pretty much since I started blogging, I can unequivocally say that your writing is neither cute or trendy. Thanks again, Jake.

18. Helen August 12, 2010 at 12:58 am #

I read your post about 24 hours ago, but I did not comment because I was trying to choose my words carefully.
    Okay, not really. I’ve been spending all that time looking for a 3 cup bra to stuff and freak people out with on Halloween. Why am I sharing this with you? Because I believe you’d do it to if you thought of it. See…. connection…
    Love ya, Katdish!
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..Have Fun!!! Happy Saturday! =-.

1. Words, Part 2 | Katdish.net - August 19, 2010

[…] week I wrote a post entitled Words, where I suggested that what we write must serve a purpose. I received a comment that I […]