Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Chris Matthews

Did you see this?

Let’s put aside for a moment that MSNBC dares to call itself a news station when they chose five liberals to cover a historic national election. Nevermind that they acted like a group of giggly school children instead of a seasoned, respected group of unbiased folks who are supposed to report the news. One could make the argument that Fox News Channel is dominated by conservative views and CNN is dominated by their liberal counterparts. But in defense of both networks, they had representatives from both the democratic and republican points of view. They differentiated between opinion and fact. Which is exactly what they should do.

I suppose NBC decided they had nothing to lose, since Comcast has bought the network and is fixing to clean house, but as annoying as all of this is to me, what really bothers me is the blatent disrespect Matthews has for anyone who doesn’t share his political views.

Regardless of his personal feelings for Congresswoman Bachmann, she is a seated member of the Congress of the United States of America. Furthermore, she is a human being. Whatever happened to good manners? Respect for the office? I don’t always agree with the decisions or even the rhetoric of elected officials on either side of the aisle, but that doesn’t give me permission to attempt to publicly humiliate those I don’t agree with. You can’t knowingly set out to steal someone else’s dignity without losing some of your own.

As to his denial of the “tingly leg” comment — He never said that, huh?

Okay, thrill…not tingle. I stand corrected. Yes, Mr. Matthews. You are completely objective.

I long for the days when rude behavior was frowned upon rather than celebrated…

“I hate rude behavior in a man. I won’t tolerate it.”
~ Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove

« « Previous Post: The making of America | Next Post: Don’t mess with Texas » »

13 Responses to “Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Chris Matthews”

1. Jeff Jordan November 5, 2010 at 8:33 am #

All I can say is, “Amen!”

2. Tony Alicea November 5, 2010 at 8:34 am #

Vote Katdish for president!

3. Candy November 5, 2010 at 8:35 am #

Reason 837 why I don’t watch TV. Why?? Oh why??

4. Jamie November 5, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I second all three comments above. 😉

5. Annie K November 5, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Looks like Matthews, Olbermann and Maddow ran out of kool-aid. And I don’t know why you’d get so mad. I love watching these three make idiots of themselves. Happens quite often.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

6. Sarah November 5, 2010 at 9:38 am #

I really have never understood the need for anyone — in politics or not — to degrade and belittle and show blatant disrespect for another person based on a difference of opinion,

7. Marni November 5, 2010 at 10:39 am #

What Candy said…at least when I do watch TV, it’s fictional shows and you expect people to be vapid, rude and hateful. But to see this Desperate Housewives type behavior on MSNBC is dispicable.

8. Maureen November 5, 2010 at 11:25 am #

You point up all the reasons I stopped watching – and never missing – television years ago.

What disturbs me also is how many people tune in to this stuff and just eat it up, giving no thought to how low it is.

9. A Simple Country Girl November 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

I, too, live in the land of no television. And I echo all that was said up there.

Two summers ago when we were still living in OR, I took my son to a town hall meeting in a very small pulp mill town. A largely conservative town. The despicable nature of men & women came shining through in near-blinding flashes (and it was evident who rode one of the many buses to the venue from other parts of the state). As a Wall Street Journal reporter was interviewing and trying to photograph my son and I in line, these two men (who I later found out traveled to every OR town hall meeting to cause problems) jumped in front of us and taunted not only us, but the reporter. Once inside, they continued by directing their antics to each conservative who was able to pose a question to our representative.

I was ready to throw down my gloves and open a can of Whoop, but I did not. It would not have done any good. And like Annie K. said, they did a good enough job showing everyone what they are made of all on their own.

Oh, I am going now. I don’t even want to get started.

10. Jeff Jordan November 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

You know, what bothers me, regardless of political persuasions, is the way certain parts of the media and people in general characterize those with whom they disagree. This past election cycle was proof of that. Conservatives were cast as redneck, ignorant, racists that couldn’t care less about the poor and disadvantaged. Ignorant racists transcend all political boundaries and most of the conservatives I know are hard working people who take care of their own family and others as well.

They just don’t believe in filtering more and more of our money through a Godless government that claims it’s confiscating more wealth to promote the general welfare.

What we have now is a ruling class in Washington (Democrats and Republicans) that seek to serve themselves (in general). It’s time to stop feeding the bloated, inefficient beast and work hard for free market priciples, in my humble opinion.

Sorry for my rant, but you started it:) That’s one reason we don’t have cable television. 99% of it ain’t fit to watch.

11. Doug Spurling November 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Hadn’t heard you talk much about politics – but I knew I liked you. Good word girl…and as for Gus reckon if rude folks got treated the way Gus treated ’em – there’d be a whole lot fewer of ’em.

12. jake November 6, 2010 at 12:58 am #

I’m not a television fan. Frankly, I’m hardly a news fan, but at least reading it, you get less of this attitude and more respect MOST of the time. Occasionally, someone lets loose though and sends something out that they shouldn’t.

I agree with you as far as missing times of general pleasantness. Talking crap wasn’t done on TV because 1-it wasn’t around yet 2- people just didn’t do that because they didn’t want to look like tools.

Love your rants 🙂

13. Hazel Moon November 7, 2010 at 11:15 am #

I rarely watch the news, Instead I get to listen too my husband and I tell him he is “Ranting and Raving again!” That is why I helped him start his own blog so he can broadcast his thoughts, and I might say he is doing a great job at Musings by Robert. Thanks Kat for your timely articles!