Dear person I just unfollowed on Twitter (repost)

Okay, lovely people! Last repost for awhile. Pinky promise! I’ll be back next week with some new stuff. Now, I guess I need to do some writing, huh? Happy New Year!

It’s not you, it’s me.

Okay, that’s not true. It’s totally you. For most of you, it was a simple matter of you not following me back. Now, that’s not to say I follow people simply to be followed back. I actually followed you because either someone in my “friends” column recommended you or someone I follow retweeted something amusing or interesting from you. Or maybe I know of you through your blog or something.

Or maybe you’re in publishing or you’re an agent or a well known author and I thought it would be a good idea to follow you to keep up with the latest goings on in the literary world. But then I figured, I follow plenty of publishers, agents, and well known authors who follow me back. And it’s pretty rare I read something in 140 characters or less that I would put into the category of “life changing”.

I followed a few of you celebrities for a bit. But then I remembered I don’t care what you ate for lunch, where you ate your lunch, who you ate your lunch with, that your new album is selling really well, or that OMG you’re LMAO.

And then there are the “social media experts” who I followed a long time ago before I knew any better. Ah, well. Live and learn.

Here’s the thing about me and the twitter – I actually like having conversations with people. If you’re not following me, how am I supposed to talk to you or give you unsolicited advice about things that are absolutely none of my business?

I’m sure you see my point.

Love,

@katdish

P.S. – Now that I’ve cleaned out my following list, I need some new folks to follow. Gimme some good suggestions, will you please?

« « Previous Post: Losing your monkey (repost) | Next Post: The Good Samaritan: a precursor » »

7 Responses to “Dear person I just unfollowed on Twitter (repost)”

1. A Simple Country Girl December 31, 2010 at 9:13 am #

I reckon it’s safest not to twitter at all–then I’ll sleep easier knowing you didn’t just undo me.

This emotional poem-thingy is for you. Sort of a gift of 2010.

smile 🙂
    smile 🙂

wink 😉
    wink 😉

oh :-0
    oh :-0

Happy New Year.

• A Simple Country Girl December 31, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Obviously my emotional yellow head guys live in a family of two…

If you all know how to make them, shouldn’t we brighten Kathy’s day with a yellow headed family reunion of sorts?

(who knows, maybe I am talking to myself. well, that’s nothing new. answering myself, that’s pretty new. so is emailing myself.)

2. Louise December 31, 2010 at 10:42 am #

I’d follow you if I twittered! But… I haven’t quite figured out how to fit it into my life. I’m sure I will… someday.

Hugs and Happy New Year — I like to follow you here though. I like coming to visit you. You always brighten up my day.

3. Tony Alicea December 31, 2010 at 11:35 am #

I recently connected with a guy named Keith Jennings (@keithjennings). Really cool guy and I love his blog. He’s not on Twitter a ton but he will interact if you talk to him. Definitely worth reading his blog though.

Happy New Year Kathy!

4. bman December 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

You’ve gotta love the people that are too good to follow you back… Too busy to hit “follow”? Reaaaalllyyyy?

😛

5. V.V. Denman January 1, 2011 at 11:18 am #

You can send us re-posts for as long as you’d like. It’s still great reading.

6. Hazel Moon January 3, 2011 at 2:50 am #

I felt I needed to UNfollow a couple of really nice people, but they were filling my page and I was not able to view the important tweets. It wan’t you, but I agree that sometimes it is necessary.