A final Monday (by Billy Coffey)

I spent over fifteen years trying to get published and doing all those things an aspiring writer was supposed to do, so I pretty much knew what to expect when my first novel finally hit the shelves. I knew, for instance, that not everyone would enjoy my writing. I knew that there would be a sudden whirlwind of things to do and say and keep up with. And I knew enough to keep writing every day with the goal of always staying a book ahead of where I was supposed to be.

What I didn’t expect is how difficult it would all be in conjunction with raising a family and working a fulltime job. Strange as it may sound, my children were much more concerned with my participation in kickball games and coloring than book sales and blog posts. And the students at the college where I work could care less about me working on my platform. All they wanted was their mail from home.

Both were understandable. All of this left me in the position that the vast majority of writers find themselves—trying to squeeze in a thousand words a day on a manuscript, writing three posts a week, and trying to maintain a social media presence. Writing itself is a fulltime job for anyone committed to the craft, one that for many like myself must be relegated to the wee hours of the night and the early hours of the morning. And at some point between Christmas and the New Year, I suddenly found myself thinking:

Dang, I’m beat.

Which is why I’ve decided to cut back on blog posts. Instead of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I’ll now be moving to Tuesday and Thursday. Kathy has been kind enough to turn me loose from the Monday spot here on her website so I can concentrate on books and a bit of freelancing, and the extra time will allow me to reconnect with many of you on your own blogs. Win/win, I say.

I’d like to thank Kathy for allowing me to borrow a bit of her real estate every Monday for over a year, and for those of you who have taken the time to visit me here.

It’s good for every writer to push harder and work more. It’s not a career for the lazy or the timid. But I think there’s a wisdom in knowing when to push and work, and when to understand you can produce better work by stepping back. I think that’s where I am right now.

Best,

Billy Coffey

****

For those of you who may be wondering what losing Billy’s Monday post means to me, I’ll tell you. First and foremost, it means the obvious–no more Coffey time posts here at my blog. When I first asked Billy to guest post for me, it was for the purpose of what folks in the publishing business like to call “expanding his author platform”. I think we’ve done that very well. As an added bonus, both Billy and I have picked up readers that neither of us would have had without his guest posts here, and within that group of readers we have been blessed to have “met” many wonderful folks online. Mission accomplished and then some.

I will continue as Billy’s website administrator and helping him manage many of the administrative and non-writerly tasks that go along with being a professional writer. My role hasn’t changed since I agreed to help him back in 2009. As anyone who has read his writing can attest to, Billy has a gift. My role continues to be to help him share that gift with as many folks as possible, and it is a role I enjoy immensely.

As for me, I’m still trying to figure out a schedule here. For now I’m just going to play it by ear and see how things work out. Thanks to Billy for all the wonderful words of wisdom shared here and to all of you who have stopped by to read them. I’ll see you over at his place and hopefully back her as well. I’m looking forward to a great year.

Gratefully yours,

katdish

P.S. – Speaking of guest posts, In celebration of him turning 40, I’m guest posting over at my friend Jason Wert’s blog today and doing what I do best: Giving unsolicited advice. Hope to see y’all over there!

« « Previous Post: The Good Samaritan revisited | Next Post: Shattered » »

20 Responses to “A final Monday (by Billy Coffey)”

1. Deb Holmes January 10, 2011 at 1:40 am #

Good for you, Billy!
    Sometimes it is hard to make the necessary adjustments that come with different seasons in life but I love that you can embrace them… especially when it means putting your family first!

2. Michael January 10, 2011 at 7:05 am #

I’m going to be honest, I’m saddened and happy at the same time. I love what Billy does and I think he is doing the right thing. And Kathy, you truly are one of the most selfless people I know.

3. Matthew Snider January 10, 2011 at 7:22 am #

I am sure something fun is right around the corner for both of you!

4. Maureen January 10, 2011 at 8:12 am #

I think it’s wonderful, Billy, that you are doing what you love in the way that YOU want to do it. You and Kathy have been such an incredible team, and will continue to be that. I’ll still look forward to your (less frequent) posts and wait for those new gifts I’m sure Kathy is conjuring up someplace now.

5. Rebecca January 10, 2011 at 8:16 am #

It’s sad that we won’t have any more Coffey Mondays over here, but at least it’s because Billy is busy doing what he does best.

6. *~Michelle~* January 10, 2011 at 8:22 am #

“you can produce better work by stepping back”

words of such wisdom.

Thank you both, in the past, the present and surely in the future….for blessing *me*.

7. Cheryl Lewis January 10, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Billy, we’ll still love reading you where we find you. And, Kathy, you have an eye for talent. I’ll look forward to reading the writer you feature next. 🙂

8. Candy January 10, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Two posts a week? Suddenly I feel so “Coffeyesque.” And Kathy? Schedules, like rules, were made to be broken. Like, I should have been at work a half hour ago. One must go to where they’ve been called. Thank you for continuing to share Billy with us!

9. Jennifer January 10, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Billy, I wish you the best of luck. You do have a gift, and your writing always brings a smile to my face. But as you know, bringing a smile to your kids’ faces is more important!

Thank you, Kathy, for hosting all of these Mondays. I look forward to whatever you decide to do in the future!

10. A Simple Country Girl January 10, 2011 at 9:19 am #

First, I like the fact that both Billy and Kathy’s images are looking right at me (us).

Second, I trust the both of you and I believe your hearts and God’s will are behind things you think & say & do.

Third, I remember when Billy was the online guy with a black screen background and Kathy was a random gal with a thing for chickens (or maybe it was only 1 chicken?).

Fourth, even though Monday’s won’t quite taste the same without the combo swirl of you two atop my coffee, I am hopeful for what the changes will bring.

Billy, Maybe I’ll see ya between the pages of a coloring book or out on the kickball field…

And Kathy, I’ll need some of your advice in a year from yesterday (but I think I’ll go take a peak now too).

11. Megan Willome January 10, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Billy, I think you’re making the right decision.

And Kathy, I’m so glad he has a friend and co-conspirator like you.

12. Joanne Sher January 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Thrilled for you, Billy – and impressed that you made this decision you definitely needed to make. (and I was afraid this was what it would be when I saw the title)I will still be a fan. Praying for your career, my “friend.”

13. Helen January 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

I’ll miss your Monday posts here, but I respect that you have to do what is best for your family. Blessings. 🙂

14. jasonS January 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Totally makes sense, but sometimes change is hard. 🙂 I appreciate all the words of encouragement from Billy and so admire you, Kat, for going above and beyond for someone you believe in. That gives me a lot of hope on both accounts. Blessings!

15. Jeanne Damoff January 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Love you both so much! Praying all God’s best in and through your collaboration as it continues to unfold.

Love, Jeanne

16. Doug Spurling January 10, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

A wise man once wrote: “Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich…” Prov. 23:4. It’s been a joy seeing you here but I’m happy to see you willing to make changes to keep priorities in line. God bless you and thanks Billy & Kat

17. T. Anne January 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

I completely get it! I have four kids, housework, homeschooling, you know the drill. It’s often that I reflect upon the fact that a decade or two ago writers didn’t do these things. In fact, they had it easier in that respect. But what I do feel is that we’ve built connection they would have killed for, so I think we win in this situation. I think two days a week is plenty! Looking forward to it! =)

18. Larry Hehn January 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

Can’t argue with that. I’ve enjoyed every bit of the Mondays, and look forward to all that lies ahead. Thank you both!

19. Michelle DeRusha January 12, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Billy, I really admire the courage you have in taking a step back. I know that can be scary — I continuously feel the need to add more to my schedule and push it further. I often don’t know when to — or perhaps simply refuse to — step back.

And Kathy, you are a writer’s champion — so grateful for your gift and for all you to do to help writers be all they can be (my dad was in the Army, sorry).

20. Bonnie Gray | FaithBarista February 19, 2011 at 2:45 am #

Hi Kathy! So happy Billy was here on the Monday I first visited you here on the blog. That’s how I met Billy. So, I consider myself one of the lucky ones. To have met you & Billy together, online. 😉

And as for Billy — yes! Keep doin’ what you’re doin’… writing like a fiend and wise enough to know how to keep that fire lit!