Choosing my own reality

Imagine if you will, a song you’ve heard all of your life.

A song that spoke to the depths of your soul.

A song that conjured up in your heart and mind Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table; of King Arthur and Lady Guinevere, and of the king’s betrayal by his queen in the arms of Sir Lancelot.

Imagine a song that you’ve dedicated to the men in your life who have rescued you, befriended you, loved you and found you worthy of love; men who–past and present–have been your knights in shining armor.

Now imagine finding out, decades after you’d first heard and fell in love with the song, that you had misunderstood the lyrics. Not misheard them, mind you. Just misunderstood. Here is the song I’m referring to:

NIGHTS in White Satin?????

I thought all this time it was KNIGHTS in White Satin!!!

No matter. I choose my own reality. And to support my claim that my version is preferable, my friend Jeff said he took “Knights in White Satin” as a metaphor for the “Letters I’ve written, never meaning to send.” So I am not alone in my denial.

Too many dreams are swept away by reality. But not this time. No, this time I’m clinging to my own version of the song, because that version will always be near and dear to my heart. And yeah…I’m stubborn that way.

Knights in White Satin

Knights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I’ve written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I’d always missed with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can’t say anymore.

‘Cos I love you, yes I love you, oh how I love you.

Gazing at people, some hand in hand,
Just what I’m going through they can’t understand.
Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be, you will be in the end.

And I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you.
Knights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I’ve written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I’ve always missed, with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can’t say anymore.

‘Cos I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you.
‘Cos I love you, yes I love you,
Oh how I love you, oh how I love you.

Breath deep
The gathering gloom
Watch lights fade
From every room
Bedsitter people
Look back and lament
Another day’s useless
Energy spent

Impassioned lovers
Wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love
And has none

Red is gray and
Yellow white
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an Illusion

“But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.” Indeed.

And for the record, I’m still always going to sing “Stop in the neighborhood before you break my heart” and “Hold me closer, Tony Danza.”

Have you ever been disappointed by misheard song lyrics?

« « Previous Post: Awesome Cat? | Next Post: Winter waiting » »

38 Responses to “Choosing my own reality”

1. BeckeyZ January 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

I think I just peed my pants….”hold me closer, Tony Danza”?

Thanks Kat.

• Chrissy January 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

This is awesome! šŸ™‚

• Helen May 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

In his younger days, he really could have. RAWR!

2. Glynn January 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

It is one of the most sensual songs ever recorded. I’m not a big fan of the Moody Blues, but I love that song — and it makes no differences whether it’s knights or nights.

Of course, when I was little, I couldn’t understand why everybody liked to sing about Jose.

Jose can you see?

3. Candy January 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

No such thing as “there’s a bad moon on the rise.” Nope – “There’s a bathroom on the right.”

• kristinherdy January 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

certainly more helpful if you need that sort of thing

4. JoelR January 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

Personally, I like “There’s a bathroom on the right” (CCR) and “Let’s pee in the corner, let’s pee in the spotlight” (REM).

5. Wizzy January 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

I , like a few other commenters on YouTube, used to think Kenny Rogers was singing about Lucille leaving the farmer cause they had “Four hundred children and a crop in the field.” Hey, with 400 children, I’d leave too. I also messed up the first line of “Before the Next Teardrop Falls” by Freddy Fender. I swore he was singing “If he brings you happiness, then I wish you’d go to bed” instead of “I wish you both the best.” LOL

• katdish January 23, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

Ha! I thought they had 400 children as well. And that’s just irresponsible to have that many kids.

6. Larry Hehn January 23, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

A few years ago Shania Twain had a song with the lyrics “look at us holdin’ on” but I could have sworn she said “look at a scalded nun”.

I guess the first one makes more sense. And I was happy to hear that the nun was actually ok.

7. Cassandra Frear January 24, 2011 at 8:09 am #

knights…nights?? LOL

8. Louise January 24, 2011 at 8:21 am #

You are so funny!

And okay — I just learned it’s ‘nights’ not Knights!!!!

I’m with you sistar!

I’m clinging to the Knights. They look kind of cute in white satin.

9. A Simple Country Girl January 24, 2011 at 11:27 am #

No, uh, no, because I don’t “mishear” any song lyrics. I have selective hearing and they always sing just what I think they’re singing.

What’s with the Tony Danza thing? I’m just slow. I was raised on country music 8-tracks.

10. Fatcatdaddy January 24, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Sometimes the actual lyrics confuse more. For example “shake up the mixture of the lizard picture”. Nope not the doors that was Duran Duran

But I knew someone that thought the songs were “Homecoming Walter, fire in the sky” and “disco bunny, how we don’t talk anymore”.

11. Sandra Heska King January 24, 2011 at 11:53 am #

I have a problem with picking and choosing and latching onto lines and making them mine–and not even listening to the rest.

Like these:

Beauty Iā€™d always missed with these eyes before.

A Knight in white satin, never reaching the end.

And I love you, yes I love you [Lord.]

12. SarahBee January 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

My dad quotes Knights in White Satin poem for his Christmas Eve performance every year. We have a tradition that you have to perform something before opening any gifts.

My husband always sings it as Tony Danza.

For the record, during the last verse, John Fogerty actually does say,”bathroom on the right” during concerts. I saw him 4 years ago with Willie Nelson.
    I have to say “feeling like a ham and mustard shake” during Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots is probably my favorite.

• katdish January 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Those grunge band songs are great for misheard song lyrics. Who can tell what they’re ever really saying?

13. Wendy January 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

I’m thinkin’ that you’ve got it right and the Moody Blues have it wrong. It could happen.

One of my favorites is still With a Little Help From My Friends… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c

• katdish January 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Oh baby, hoggify? Holy cow. I’ve never seen that one before. Hilarious.

14. kristinherdy January 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

I was so disappointed when I found out the “nudie suit” in Alan Jackson’s Midnight in Montgomery wasn’t his birthday suit.

A friend sings “This is the dawning of the age of asperagus”

Great post.

• Wizzy January 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

LOL @ Dawning of the Age of Asparagus. ROFL

15. Michael January 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I always thought that the lyrics to “The Right Stuff” by New Kids on the Block went like this, O O Oreo, O O Oreo, the right stuff. Apparently that’s wrong.

16. Marni January 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

–Sultans of Suede (Dire Straits were huge fans of cowhide, I just know it!)

–Ham on Rye (Kenny Loggins wrote about his favorite sandwich)

–Reverend in Blue Jeans (Neil Diamond’s homage to pastors wearing denim)

I prefer to call my condition lyricosis thankyouverymuch.

• Helen May 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Wait… you mean it’s not “Reverend Blue Jeans”? Then what is it?

• katdish May 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

I thought it was “The Devil wears blue jeans”, which is ridiculous. He probably wears double-knit.

17. jasonS January 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

I thought it was ‘knights’ too! I may have never known if you hadn’t blogged about it. You are doing quite a public service here, Kat. šŸ™‚

• katdish January 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

See? I think lots of people thought it was “knights”. It’s a very fairy tale sounding song, don’t you think?

18. Annie K January 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

I always thought it was Nights – but then I never spent much time pondering it. I think that song was a little before my time. I’m younger than you.

• Marni January 25, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Annie…snort!!

19. Michelle DeRusha January 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

For the longest time I thought it was “knights in white satin” too — no lie! I even had the whole picture worked out in my head: knights in full armor, with white satin robes flowing across their shoulders as they sat atop their stallions. I distinctly remember realizing it was “nights” — and feeling really dumb (no offense of course!).

20. Bradley J Moore January 25, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Omg! I never ever thought it was Nights! Funny/pathetic.

21. jake January 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I had a friend who I ruined rap songs for because I would tell her what they were talking about… which being rap… was never good. I always tried to be delicate about it, but somehow she was always mad about it after.

I can’t think of song lyrics I’ve messed up but I remember when I was learning to read and not knowing the difference between “satin” and “Satan”. I was so confused for probably a year on that one. šŸ™‚

22. karenzach January 27, 2011 at 12:33 am #

Maybe it was the trailer part upbringing but I think I understood this song when I was 13, which btw, this just reminds me, once again, of how very old I have grown. Which sort of explains why I don’t listen to the radio much anymore. I don’t understand all that new fangled music. I still think Elvis is King and Prince is scary.

23. Doug Spurling January 29, 2011 at 8:24 am #

“Facts are stupid things” Ronald Reagan. Good job hold your own reality inside the Truth.

24. Helen May 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Okay, I meant to comment here several months ago, but left to think about paring down my comment. I gave up on that, and just did my own post.
    I linked back here though, so it’s not like I’m totally lame.