Looking back and moving forward

Pardon me while I dump my brain onto the page:

2010 was an eventful year. It was also, in some ways, very overwhelming for me personally. You may have noticed that the last week of 2010 I reposted rather than posted new stuff. This was mostly due to family time and traveling, but I’ve also been evaluating my blog and the frequency in which I post new material. For most of 2010, I posted seven days a week. Granted, I didn’t write 7 posts a week–Monday is reserved for Billy Coffey and for most of the year Wednesdays were reserved for a guest blogger. But still–that’s a fairly ambitious schedule. For me, anyway.

I’m sorting through and reassessing how to make the best use of my time for 2011. I have enjoyed and appreciated all of the wonderful guest posts I have posted, and I plan to continue this practice. But the frequency of these Wednesday guest posts will most likely go from weekly to monthly. (Billy Coffey’s post will continue to appear here on Mondays, however.) One of the goals of this blog will still be to spotlight other writers, but I also want to write more–both on and off the published page.

As for posting frequency, I’m still debating about that. I would like to allow myself more time to write, to read and to study the craft of writing. Don’t worry–I’m not planning to get all serious and writerly. I’m still the random and ridiculous blogger that I’ve always been. It’s just that I believe anything worth doing is worth doing well, and I want this blog to be a reflection of that attitude. As a good friend recently reminded me, quantity does not equate to quality, and I never, ever want to post anything here just for the sake of posting something. Having said that, I do want to decide on a schedule and stick to it. I’ll let you know what I come up with.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any and all feedback, positive and negative. Would you let me know what kind of posts you most like reading here? Thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the interwebs. I know “community” has become an overused buzzword of late, but at the risk of sounding cliche’ I want you to know how much I value each of you who I’ve been so fortunate to encounter in the online blogging community.

And since everyone seems to be making or not making New Year’s resolutions, here’s my contribution. It’s a quote I found a few years ago and I liked it so much I painted it on the mudroom wall–the one facing the door I enter my house from:

“Fear less, hope more,
eat less, chew more,
whine less, breathe more,
talk less, say more,
hate less, love more…
And all good things will be yours!”

« « Previous Post: Resolution Guy (by Billy Coffey) | Next Post: Still looking back and looking forward » »

20 Responses to “Looking back and moving forward”

1. Jake January 4, 2011 at 1:11 am #

I get what you’re doing. I think I’ve been doing the same thing, but I’m also examining my non-writerly activities and seeing which ones are worth it these days. I’m definitely counting the cost of time and even preparing to make sacrifices for this kind of thing!

On another note, I just want you to know how much I appreciate you. You have been one of the two main encouragers I encountered in my writing, one of the two most persistent and helpful people I’ve encountered in our community. You have no idea how much that means to me- seriously.

Kathy, 2011 is going to be bomb. Get ready, my friend!

2. Amy Sorrells January 4, 2011 at 2:19 am #

Feedback? Like cowbell, we need more Billy Coffey, of course. And anything strategerly related to writing. Which points us back to Billy Coffey, of course.

But in all honesty, I like reading about you and your funny thoughts and your whimsical ideas and your bewildering muse. I’m sorry I can’t offer more suggestions. I guess I just like you just the way you are. (And here is where you would insert a video of that sappy Billy Joel song.)

Don’t go changin’ . . . to try to please anyone . . . anyone, that is, except for Billy Coffey. 🙂

3. Lorrie January 4, 2011 at 6:29 am #

THAT is a good quote! I love your place and am sure that whatever you do I will keep coming back. Blessings galore to you…

4. Janet Oberholtzer January 4, 2011 at 6:39 am #

Love that saying!

As for your blog … I love your rants, your thoughtful posts, your silly stuff (which means I basically like it all) and the way you highlight other writers from time to time. Good stuff!
    But seven days a week … wow, that’s a big commitment … doesn’t everything need a day of rest, even blogs? Isn’t that the 11th commandment? 🙂

5. Glynn January 4, 2011 at 7:05 am #

“Random” and “ridiculous” are not words I would use to describe @katdish. Funny, yes. Passionate – no question. A caring heart – absolutely. Also faithful, encouraging and willing to poke a few holes in balloons, including her own.

6. Tony Alicea January 4, 2011 at 7:26 am #

The biggest thing I love about your site is the diversity. I love the random inane posts about PCB. I love the katrants. I love the weekly Twitter highlight. But I really love your thoughtful posts. The diversity is what makes it exciting. You never get “too” serious or “too” silly. I think that makes it fun.

7. Michael January 4, 2011 at 7:33 am #

You seriously are awesome. I hope you know that. And to be honest, I don’t come here expecting anything in particular. I think you should just write what’s on your heart. That’s what I love about you. I know I can expect Billy on Monday’s and know you feature people regularly, but I just enjoy you being you. I hope that makes sense, because it was sincerely meant as a compliment.

8. Louise January 4, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Hi Kat — I struggle with the ‘frequency’ issue too! I love to post everyday — I love to write everyday — but somedays I wonder… am I over-posting. Suffering from posting decay?

It’s a tough question — I love your blog. Love visiting here — whenever/however frequently you do it. I’ll keep coming back!

Hugs

9. Amy Nabors January 4, 2011 at 8:39 am #

I’m not sure I have any thoughts on what I would like to see, but looking forward to your musings and thoughts.

10. Doug Spurling January 4, 2011 at 9:52 am #

When I think of Katdish I think…Genuine. Whatever you decide to do it’ll be you – and since you follow God – it’ll be Him too.

11. kelybreez January 4, 2011 at 9:58 am #

I’m with everyone else. What you’ve been doing – being you – is what we all like!

Autumn in Texas; The Butler with no Britches; your weekly summary of the week’s events on the Twitter… Those things are golden.

So, I’m confident that whatever you come up with, schedule-wise, will be good… None of us want you to kill yourself by posting too much! But on the other hand, none of us want you to fade away too much!

You, being you, is smashingly brilliant, and we like it!

12. Jason January 4, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Write what you want to write when you feel like writing it. We’ll visit regardless of what you post here. 🙂

Although I did kind of wonder about the guest posting going to monthly vs. weekly. If you want to lower your posting frequency, guest posts are a good way to keep traffic coming in and a good way to build community with other writers. You could call it “Kat’s day of rest” or something else so it has a theme to go along with our Monday Coffey Breaks. 😉

13. okiewife January 4, 2011 at 11:36 am #

Seriously, I have never found one thing on your blog that I didn’t enjoy immensely. Whatever you post will entertain, educate (how else would we have known about the PCB), and keep us coming back for more.

14. jasonS January 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

I don’t know, Kat. The reason the majority of us show up is you so just keep being you. I like when you write about writing, exercise your writing muscles, get random or crazy… I know it’s all you and that’s good to me. I’ve been wondering as well what the best course of action is for writing and strategy. If you have any epiphanies you want to share, let me know.

15. Jeanne Damoff January 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Hey, you. I’m the poster child of blogging inconsistency, so I’m more interested in hearing what you decide to do than I am in giving advice. I do love your so-called rants, but I honestly don’t know how anyone has time to post daily. I barely manage to read the blogs in my reader, much less comment on them, even though I often want to. Even so, I want to blog more, because it’s such a great way to document life’s journey and share it with others. Apparently I’m not a severe enough personal taskmaster to post consistently without accountability, so this year I’m thinking about joining some of the weekly gigs other people host, some geared at stories and maybe some geared at photography.

At any rate, whatever you end up doing, you can be sure I’ll read it. Love you. xo

16. Helen January 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

I get giddy when I see that you have written a katrant, or a skymall post. But I also love your reflective and serious pieces. You share yourself on your blog, and that is why your blog is awesome. Lots of love to you in 2011!

17. Hazel Moon January 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Reflection is good, causing us to redirect and look forward. Your plans for 2011 sound doable and sensible, so GO Girl!

18. Maureen January 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

We’re all going to show up to read whatever you post, whenever you post. Do what feels right and do it for you.

19. Candy January 5, 2011 at 8:45 am #

I like the “what katdish will show up today?” theme. One day it’s a great worship song, then a katrant, then a surprise appearance by PCB. We’re here because we like what you had to offer in the first place, not because you’re giving us what we ask for. Just do your own thang, and write on. Whenever. We’re not going anywhere.

20. *~Michelle~* January 5, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Like Michael said, I also do not come here expecting anything in particular……but always leave with a smile on my face. Either due to your hilarious way with words….or a thought provoking post.

Happy New Year, Kathy!