Still looking back and looking forward

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to put last year behind me. It’s not that it was a bad year so much, just a very long one. But sometimes in order to look forward, we must look backwards. This seems to be a theme for me this week. Disasters were big news in 2010–both natural and man-made. Political and economic news continued to be depressing and challenging, but there was also hope and happy endings. The Chilean miners endured and survived and reminded us that if we keep our faith and hope alive there’s light at the end of the tunnel. (Ouch. That was an excruciatingly obvious metaphor.)

For this reason, the Chilean miners rescue gets my vote for Story Most Likely to be turned into a sermon illustration and/or Life Analogy Blog Post. If you happened to be on the twitter at any time during this crisis, you no doubt read hundreds of tweets about their progress. But for me, the most memorable tweet from this time came from Conan O’Brien:

RT @ConanOBrien: The Chilean Miners could B released this weekend just in time 2 see Michael Bolton sing on DWTS (Dancing with the Stars). Guys, what’s an extra day?

To be certain, two of the biggest news stories of 2010 were the natural disaster in Haiti and the man-made disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. But there were others as well. Who could forget…

The Most Annoying Sound of 2010: The Vuvuzela Horn of World Cup Soccer fame. Just when I thought watching televised soccer couldn’t possibly be more annoying. But even with the sound turned off, all one needed to do was follow @thevuvuzelahorn on twitter (brainchild of @tremendousnews) for a constant barrage of the following tweet:

@thevuvuzelahorn: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

And speaking of annoying, how annoying would it be if you happened to be traveling in Europe only to find your flight had been cancelled by…

The Most Unpronounceable Word of 2010: Eyjafjallajokull. The Icelandic volcano which shut down air travel across Europe and resulted in…

The Most Unintentionally Hilarious Tweet of 2010 by@lewismoats concerning “a volcanic Ass Clown stopping flights over Europe”, which lead to…

The Most Creative Use of a Typo for Blog Fodder of 2010: Beware the Ass Clown!Or what happens when I go too long between posts by @redclaydiaries.

2010 was such an eventful and news filled year, I found it all just a bit overwhelming. Sometimes I find it easier to stay in my own little world and write about what I happen to be focused on. Last year (and most likely this year), my focus was on all aspects of writing and the business of writing.

From the publication of Billy’s Coffey’s debut novel Snow Day to my observations about all things writerly. If you were to ask me what my most read post was from 2010, I would have to tell you in all honesty I have no idea. I quit checking my analytics months ago. But if I had to guess based on the number of comments received, my guess for the most read post of 2010 would be Why I Hate Writing (first in a series!), where I confessed that the original title of the post was going to be Why I hate writers.

I went on to explain why I hate writers. This post received 50 retweets on twitter and 62 comments from–you guessed it–writers. Which only proves my theory that writers are gluttons for punishment.

And because I hate writers so very much, I plan to write more about writing and writers this year and all the many ways your work continues to disappoint me. This should be a banner year for this blog!

Snort! I do NOT hate writers! I love writers! But how many of you writerly types got a little indignant and teary eyed while reading the last part of that paragraph?

Tsk, tsk…

I know y’all so well…

« « Previous Post: Looking back and moving forward | Next Post: The moron test » »

19 Responses to “Still looking back and looking forward”

1. Jake January 5, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Eyjafjallajokull? Eyjafjallajokull YOURSELF!!!! Just kidding. I’d agree, 2010 was an interesting year. I watched a lot come and go in my life this year and though I’ll never forget it, I’m glad I’ll never have to relive it.

passing into a new year, one must ask, how long have we been bloggity buddies now?

• katdish January 6, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Jake,

We have been reading and commenting on each other’s blogs since Spring of 2008. Can you believe that? I remember when you were a grumpy barista/college student. Now you’re an all grown up grumpy person. And while I typically don’t like grumpy people, you are the exception.

• jake January 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Kathy, that brings joy to my heart. It’s amazing how much time has passed and how much we’ve grown as writers. It’s ridiculous… but I’m proud that we’re bloggity friends and I’m praying for the best 2011 you can have.

2. Megan January 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

I loaned out my book and Grrrr… I forget who has it, but I want to read it again next winter. Did I say thank you enough for the Snow Day book? Thank you again!

3. Maureen January 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Looking forward to reading more of your posts about writing and writers. You’ll have an endless stream of fodder. Or should I say, words?

4. Steph January 6, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Thanks for the shout-out for my Eyjafjallajowhosawhatsit post. And I should point out, since I know Lewis Moats personally, his tweet was most definitely intentional. All I did was take the absurdity to new heights.

5. Jason January 6, 2011 at 8:21 am #

“Which only proves my theory that writers are gluttons for punishment.”

Only from you, Kat.

Only from you.

6. Candy January 6, 2011 at 8:52 am #

I’m afraid 2010 has the ability to come back and bite me – it was that arrogant and deceptive. It must stay away. But here I sit, short days, cold winter, typical onset of seasonal affective disorder….I could use a good ass clown laugh, just not accompanied by a vuvuzela. I hate writers too – in the typical junior high way of I-N-V-U. My writing is reduced to sticky notes these days. Write on. You make me laugh.

7. *~Michelle~* January 6, 2011 at 9:02 am #

OK I cannot say or read the term ASS CLOWN without laughing.

Now on a more serious note…2010 was a challenging year for me…….I am looking forward to what 2011 brings.

8. laura January 6, 2011 at 9:47 am #

A great re-cap (and somehow I missed the ass-clown. this tells me i definitely need to lurk on twitter more). happy 2011, kathy. looking forward to more writerly thoughts.

9. Missy@WonderFriend January 6, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Glutton for punishment. Can’t think of a better description for me. 😉

Can’t wait to read what you have in store this year!

10. Michael January 6, 2011 at 10:38 am #

I do my best not to look at my analytics too, but I’m not strong enough not to look.

11. Hazel Moon January 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

World wide, 2010 did have many sad events and yet some happy ones too. Looking forward in anticipation for what 2011 will hold. Knowing that God is able to keep us and if evil is at our door step, He will be with us. I am looking forward to your posts on writing and writers!

12. Helen January 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

2010 was horrible. I’ve already decided 2011 is going to be polar opposite of 2010, and am really excited about it!

13. Tony Alicea January 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

I didn’t even have to hear it and I have that stupid vuvuzela sound in my head. Gaaahhh!

14. Lewis Moats January 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

I’ve arrived! I’ve made it to a Katdish year-end wrap blog-diggity!
    I called my mom to tell her, but she was like, “Who the heck is Katdish”, so I disowned her. Thanks for the shout/love. See ya next year! (That only works in the waning moments of 2010, I guess…)

15. Louise January 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

What a great post! Fascinating and fun and interesting and informative and just plain good!

16. Sharkbait January 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

You forgot:

The biggest turnabout of all time:Sharkbait gets a twitter account.

17. Sharkbait January 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

And if you think a vuvuzela is annoying on TV for a month, try living in the same country as them all year.