Chiseled by grace

“If in your heart of hearts you say, ‘I try very hard, I try to be obedient, I go to church, I pray, I try to serve Jesus. Therefore, God you owe it to me to answer my prayers, to give me a relatively good life, and to take me to heaven when I die.’ If that’s the language of your heart, then Jesus is your model, Jesus is your example, Jesus is your boss–but He’s not your Savior. You’re seeking to be your own savior. And all your morality, all your religion–it’s all just a way to get God to give you the things you really want. And they are not God Himself.”

~ Tim Keller, The Prodigal God

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God–not by works, so that no one can boast.” ~ Ephesians 2:8-9

« « Previous Post: Cold, flu and ARCTIC BLAST season | Next Post: Offensive Superbowl Ad (?) » »

10 Responses to “Chiseled by grace”

1. Amy Nabors February 5, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

I’ve been wanting to download The Prodigal God to read. Thanks for sharing.

• katdish February 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

It’s a short but excellent book.

2. Sherri Murphy February 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Will be sharing this link with my friends. Thanks.

3. Shelley February 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Great post. Sounds like a really good book to read. Love, love, LOVE that song by Tenth Avenue North!

4. Angie Platten February 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

Great song! And I LOVE Tim Keller! Very wise man. Thanks for sharing!

5. kelybreez February 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

I love grace. I’m pretty undeserving of it, but He gave it – and gives it – anyway. (Sort of the definition of grace, huh?)

I like the thought, “Grace isn’t grace if it doesn’t seem like too much was forgiven.”

Also, “Grace isn’t grace if it’s not scandalous.”

6. Hazel Moon February 6, 2011 at 11:46 am #

All our “trying” is not enough. Yes, Salvation cannot be earned, for it is ours by HIS grace. Nice photo for sunrise brings the new day.

7. A Simple Country Girl February 7, 2011 at 12:32 am #

That’s a convicting quote…

And I am ever so thankful for His grace.

8. Jake February 7, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

I WISH I could earn what I wanted from God. It’d be SO MUCH BLOODY EASIER THAN HAVING FAITH.

But faith puts everything in its place, including me. Thank God.

1. Reads of the week – 2011 – 5 « Hope In Love - February 11, 2011