Yep. I’m posting this again…

Because someone will happen across my blog today that desperately needs to hear what Brennan Manning has to say here. Even if you’ve seen it before, I invite you to watch it again. You may even believe it this time.

Brennan Manning said:

The Lord Jesus is going to ask each of us one question and only one question: Do you believe that I loved you? That I desired you? That I waited for you day after day? That I longed to hear the sound of your voice?

The real believers there will answer, “Yes, Jesus. I believed in your love and I tried to shape my life as a response to it. But many of us who are so faithful in our ministry, in our practice, in our church going are going to have to reply, “Well frankly, no sir. I mean, I never really believed it. I mean, I heard alot of wonderful sermons and teachings about it. In fact I gave quite a few myself. But I always knew that that was just a way of speaking; a kindly lie, some Christian’s pious pat on the back to cheer me on. And there’s the difference between the real believers and the nominal Christians that are found in our churches across the land. No one can measure like a believer the depth and the intensity of God’s love. But at the same time, no one can measure like a believer the effectiveness of our gloom, pessimism, low self-esteem, self-hatred and despair that block God’s way to us. Do you see why it is so important to lay hold of this basic truth of our faith? Because you’re only going to be as big as your own concept of God.

Do you remember the famous line of the French philosopher, Blaise Pascal? “God made man in his own image, and man returned the compliment”? We often make God in our own image, and He winds up to be as fussy, rude, narrow minded, legalistic, judgemental, unforgiving, unloving as we are.

In the past couple of three years I have preached the gospel to the financial community in Wallstreet, New York City, the airmen and women of the air force academy in Colorado Springs, a thousand positions in Nairobi. I’ve been in churches in Bangor, Maine, Miami, Chicago, St. Louis, Seattle, San Diego. And honest, the god of so many Christians I meet is a god who is too small for me. Because he is not the God of the Word, he is not the God revealed by it in Jesus Christ who this moment comes right to your seat and says, “I have a word for you. I know your whole life story. I know every skeleton in your closet. I know every moment of sin, shame, dishonesty and degraded love that has darkened your past. Right now I know your shallow faith, your feeble prayer life, your inconsistent discipleship. And my word is this: I dare you to trust that I love you just as you are, and not as you should be. Because you’re never going to be as you should be.”

Do you believe that He loves you?

« « Previous Post: Prepare to be fabulous (or more fabulous–whateva) | Next Post: So, you want a blog makeover? » »

12 Responses to “Yep. I’m posting this again…”

1. Tracie February 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

Thank you for sharing this. Just thank you.

2. Shelley February 19, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

Wow, very thought provoking! Do I believe God loves me? I want to say yes, and there are times when I can. Sadly and in all honesty, I think there are more times when I think “no” :o(…and that’s usually because I’m in a negative frame of mind – which is not a good place for me to be! Thankfully though, that isn’t all the time!

3. JoelR February 20, 2011 at 7:13 am #

That was absolutely amazing.

4. A Simple Country Girl February 20, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I believe.

How could I not believe? Oh, I remember now, back to the daze when I doubted how He could love a woman like me…

when I thought my sins were too big for Him to carry, too dirty for Him to touch, too bad for Him to forgive. One dark, rainy night, I met Him at the cross and despite my bawling, my tears, my snot, my guttural moans, and my regret, He found me there.

And I believed.

5. Hope February 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Wow. I struggle so hard with this. Sometimes God’s love seems like a wonderful fairytale. Something that’s hard to believe is true.

6. Mike Ellis February 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

I love the heart of you my friend.

7. Jason February 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

My honest answer? Sometimes I believe it. Sometimes I don’t.

8. Kathleen February 21, 2011 at 1:40 am #

yes and yes

9. Hazel Moon February 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Thanks Kat, Yes, I KNOW God loves me, but so many doubt and it is good that a post like this can open eyes and understanding to KNOW that God does love them unconditionally.

10. jake February 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

This kills me every time I see it. I KNOW that God isn’t legalistic or small… every now and again though, I live like it which means that deep down, I don’t entirely believe it.

Hopefully someday soon, this will make its way from my head to my heart, know?

11. TaliaWutt October 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I am so blown away emotionally, I do not know what to say, yet I feel compelled. I feel like if I walk away only to return later, something will have died inside and I will have nothing to say.

I do not KNOW anything about God’s love. I post and share faith, but you never see me post God’s love. I can’t. I don’t know what it is. Or how to experience it. This is a pretty vulnerable statement, but it is the truth. I just succombed to the idea it will be something I will experience when I reach Glory! Sad… fact!

I am going on a journey in search of God’s love.

1. Reads of the week – 2011 – 8 « Hope In Love - February 25, 2011