Doing stuff

Monday marked the first day of FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!!! the kids going back to school after their week long spring break. It was nice to have everyone home last week, but I must confess that towards the end of the week all that togetherness was starting to harsh my mellow. Me likes my alone time.

Since it’s now officially springtime and whatnot, I decided it was high time to spruce up the front porch. I’ve been wanting to get some rocking chairs to put out there since we moved into this house. And since we’ve lived here for 8 or 9 years, I thought I would find some over the weekend, thereby missing the official 10 year procrastination mark. Besides, I figured I could enjoy my morning coffee out there for the next couple of weeks before temperatures and humidity rise to levels capable of melting my face off.

After two unsuccessful shopping ventures Friday and Saturday, I finally found two black arirondack rockers at Garden Ridge Pottery on Sunday afternoon. If y’all don’t have a Garden Ridge Pottery in your neighborhood, I suppose the best way to describe it would be Hobby Lobby meets Pier One meet Oriental Trading Company. Sort of. They sell furniture, plants, silk flowers, housewares and “miscellaneous”.

"miscellaneous"

Once we got the chairs home, assembled and out on the porch, it became evident that the new addition didn’t really complete the look I was after. The term “putting lipstick on a pig” comes to mind.

The front door needed refinishing, the windows were dirty, the large pot of dirt out there needed filling and the impulse buy of two ferns from the grocery store needed to be hung. An ambitious project, but I was ready, willing and able to accomplish everything I wanted to accomplish on Monday. I went to bed Sunday night with every intention of getting to work on my project bright and early Monday (mid) morning.

Yeah…

That was before I woke up in-explicitly at midnight and couldn’t get back to sleep. I tried reading. That seemed to work until I turned off my book light, set down my kindle and shut my eyes. Wide awake again. I eventually got up and went to the couch, figuring I would fall asleep watching the television. Three and a half hours later, I was exhausted and a little perplexed why Animal Planet would devote a 30 minute time slot to Mike Tyson and his dream of pigeon racing. But I digress…

from nypost.com

My point is (and I do have one), what I wanted to do was get the kids off to school and go back to bed. I was tired, grumpy and completely out of sorts. I didn’t feel like going to Walmart, buying hooks, potting soil and something to put in the pot of dirt. I didn’t feel like doing all that stuff I told myself I was going to do. And honestly, my world wasn’t going to come crashing down if I chose to go back to bed and leave all that stuff for another day.

But you know what?

I went to Walmart.

I refinished the door.

I potted a fern in the pot of dirt.

I hung the ferns.

I even dragged the spring wreath out of the garage.

I did all the things I set out to do. And yes, I was even more exhausted when all was said and done. But sometimes you have to suck it up and do the things you set out to do. You keep your promises and follow through with what you said you were going to do. Even if those promises are made to no one else but you.

Now, to get some flowers planted!

Sometimes especially then.

My first new visitor.

This post is part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival: Goals, hosted by my friend Peter Pollock. To read more posts on the topic, please visit him at PeterPollock.com

« « Previous Post: One Word Wednesday: Pancakes! | Next Post: Laughing at instead of with » »

16 Responses to “Doing stuff”

1. A Simple Country Girl March 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks to that image of mister miscellaneous, I’m likely to have disturbed sleep patterns tonight.

And, uh, is your terra cotta fern planter wearing high-heels?

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Yes. My pot is wearing heels. Having the pot elevated is good for drainage. I used to have bricks under it until I discovered a black widow living under there the size of a large jaw breaker. Yikes.

2. Hazel Moon March 24, 2011 at 12:31 am #

Now that is a lovely looking front porch, and your rocking chairs look nice too. I imagine that you truely got a good nights sleep after all that hard work to complete your “Goal.”

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Man, did I EVER get a good night’s rest!

3. Jake March 24, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Kathy, I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I try to balance my life out to make sure I stay sane but I’m pushing projects out in the process. I think that the people who “do things” with their lives- the people we hear about are all crazy because they realized that maybe balance and sanity aren’t worth it.

Good job, you crazy lady!

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Oh, I gave up on sanity a long time ago.

4. kelybreez March 24, 2011 at 8:06 am #

Muy fabuloso. Plus and in addition, I just REALLY like katdish.

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:22 am #

I really like you right back, Kely. Even if you are a Red Sox fan for no apparent reason.

5. Louise March 24, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Ummmm….. so…. where’s the snow?

I feel like a kid in the back of a car pestering his parents, except I’m stuck in the back of winter, asking God, “Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet?”

The answer here is — Katdish has our spring!

Love your post — love your work — in the yard and in your mind and in your computer — and in the world!

Ok. So, I’ll admit it — I love Katdish too! 🙂

Thanks for the smiles on this snowy day in March — harumph — and for a look at what spring really looks like!

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Snow? You still have snow? Ugh!

I’ll be wishing for snow when the summer gets into full swing here.

Love you, too!

6. Cassandra Frear March 24, 2011 at 9:08 am #

I love porches.

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:24 am #

I love porches, too. I wish it wrapped around my entire house.

7. Annie K March 24, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Wow, your grass is so green. Wait, it’s spring? Huh. It’s snowing here. Sigh…

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:26 am #

When is it NOT snowing there, Annie?

8. Helen March 24, 2011 at 11:11 am #

The snow is on my lawn, too. But I am NOT jealous. I wouldn’t wish your summers on the lady at Church who told me I need to dye my hair. Wait. She happens to be originally from Texas, so she apparently wouldn’t wish your summers on herself either. Wait. What were we talking about?

OH YEAH! Your porch looks great! You are a better woman than me! If I get less than 5 hours sleep, I get such a headache that everyone around me wishes I’d go back to bed for a few hours and start over.

• katdish March 24, 2011 at 11:26 am #

On behalf of the great State of Texas, allow me to apologize for that horrible woman. She deserves to spend August in Houston.