Getting dirty

There’s something cathartic about getting dirty.
Something uniquely satisfying about tackling a project you’ve never done before.

Last week, I shared some pictures of my newly improved front porch.

I’ve spent every morning since enjoying the new space. Some evenings, too. In the above picture, you can see part of the sidewalk leading to our front porch from the driveway. What you can’t see is its length.

You may have noticed all that beautiful, black mulch in the flower beds on either side of the sidewalk. You may have also noticed that the sidewalk is black. That’s because every time it rains or the sprinklers come on, that black mulch washes onto the sidewalk. Since I’ve been spending time on the front porch, I’ve grown tired of looking at the black sidewalk. Which is why I decided it was high time I installed some edging to keep the mulch where it’s supposed to be.

The installation instructions weren’t complicated: Dig a 4″ trench the length of the area you wish to install the edging (which was two 60 foot trenches), cut the edging to length using a hacksaw, place the edging into the trench, drive metal edging spikes in every 4 feet plus at the beginning and end of the flower bed, then compact the dirt around the edging.

You wanna know what’s more cathartic than getting dirty?

Driving 9″ metal spikes into the ground with a sledgehammer.

Actually, hitting pretty much anything with a sledgehammer is extremely gratifying.

Next on the agenda is firing up the pressure washer and cleaning up that nasty sidewalk. That should be awesome.

And here’s a picture of one of my new Gerber daisies:

Just like me: A delicate flower…

What’d y’all do this weekend? Do you like digging in the dirt?

« « Previous Post: Laughing at instead of with | Next Post: Seeing red » »

19 Responses to “Getting dirty”

1. Candy March 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

Hey, great job! You hire out as a yardener? All I can say is shoveling a sidewalk like that here would be a nightmare. But then you never have to worry about that…

• katdish March 27, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

Shoveling? Shoveling what? Oh, right…snow.

Yeah. That’s not really a concern here. We have a 60 foot sidewalk and a 150 foot driveway. Both would be a bee-otch to shovel snow off of.

2. Jennifer @ GDWJ March 27, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

I can’t quite get past the image of those two spikes and that one hammer … followed by blooming Beauty.

Good things — *GOD things* — happen when dirt gets under those nails of yours.

God bless …

3. Sandra Heska King March 27, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

I like the look of mulched beauty. I’m not big on creating it, though. I’d have given out after 5 feet.

I couldn’t help but think of God digging up my heart. Sometimes He has to take a sledgehammer and spikes to it. And my head, too.

I puttered and wasted time yesterday. I took a four-hour nap late this afternoon-evening-night. I don’t normally do naps. I’ll be up for awhile.

4. Kathleen March 27, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

Oh to sit on that porch and drink (sweet?) tea wit ‘ya. It looks like you live on a huge campus. Is it a “Everything in Texas is big” thing? 🙂 If only people knew they didn’t need to spend money on therapy……just get down and dirty and pound something! I’m smiling.

5. Annie K March 27, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

I think I’m still a little bitter about the fact that you have green grass. And flowers. We’ll be shoveling snow in the morning. Well, Jon will.

6. karenzach March 28, 2011 at 2:05 am #

Well sweetness, I would have loved to have done anything in the yard, rather than sitting around doing the taxes. Besides it rained all weekend. Good job, tho.

7. Janet Oberholtzer March 28, 2011 at 8:19 am #

Beautiful! You make me want to go tackle my flower beds … once we actually get some spring weather around here. Temps were in the 20’s this morning 🙁

8. JoelR March 28, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Yes, swinging a hammer is very carthartic. It does become less so the heavier the hammer and the longer you swing it. But, if you thought the hammer was gratifying, you’re going to lose your mind with the pressure washer. Being able to see the difference between the clean part and the dirty is amazing. Even better than cutting the grass.

• katdish March 28, 2011 at 8:46 am #

I know…I’m giddy just thinking about it!

9. Helen March 28, 2011 at 9:35 am #

When I did in the yard, I feel close to my dad again. He used to grow vegetables in our back yard, geraniums in our front yard. Installing edging along our driveway sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

10. Ryan Tate March 28, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Wow, that looks great! And I love getting my hands dirty too. I wish I had more time (and warmer weather) to get outside and do some yard work.

This weekend we celebrated my 2-year old son’s birthday and my wife’s 30th birthday. We had cupcakes for the kids and went to a winery for my wife. It was a hectic but great weekend.

11. Maureen March 28, 2011 at 11:46 am #

No digging for us yet. It was about 20 degrees most of the day. But the cherry trees have blossomed, along with the forsythias. It’s just a matter of time now.

12. bman (The Underfold) March 28, 2011 at 11:53 am #

haha. You aren’t kidding! I love smashing things with a sledgehammer! 😀

This weekend I went to (experienced?) a comic convention and it was awesome. I can’t wait til I’m in one of those booths hawking my wears. 😛

• katdish March 28, 2011 at 11:58 am #

That sounds nerdtastic, Brian!

13. A Simple Country Girl March 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

I see Joel already mentioned the pressure washer… indeed you will want to take your show on the road when you get behind the nozzle of a pressure washer. For me, not much beats a splitting maul, an ax, and the sound of wood splintering.

• JoelR March 29, 2011 at 1:41 am #

I spent enough time as a younger man swinging a maul at a wedge to learn the value of power equipment. Something that was reinforced when I decided to “get back to the land” and cut a tree down with an axe. It didn’t take long to go get the chain saw.

14. Hazel Moon March 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Edging is a great idea to keep the mulch where it belongs. Hitting the nail (on the head) sounds like good exercise, but for now, I will sit this one out! I loved your beautiful photos of your striking park like setting

15. seekingpastor March 29, 2011 at 12:13 am #

I do not like digging in the dirt, but my wife does. And I love her. So I dig in the dirt on occasion.