Kishi Kaisei

image courtesy of foursquare.org

I can’t effectively put into words how much my heart breaks for the people of Japan. I’ve raised the question here before, Are we inherently prejudiced? Perhaps prejudice is not the right word. Maybe it’s that we feel more for people who are more like us. Without going into too much detail about my family history, I will tell you that I’m sure I have aunts, uncles and cousins in Japan whose names I don’t know. Probably will never know. And I wonder if they’re safe. I wonder if they’ve had food or water in the past few days. If they’re searching for loved ones.

My heart breaks for all people who are suffering, regardless of race, creed or color.

God forgive me, it breaks a little more as I watch the disaster in Japan. It’s not something I’m proud of. I suppose the old saying holds true that blood is thicker than water, even if that blood flows through the veins of family I’ll never know this side of eternity.

But I also know the people of Japan are strong and resilient. They will recover and do so with honor and dignity.

Long long way to go (Phil Collins)

While I sit here trying to think of things to say
Someone lies bleeding in a field somewhere
So it would seem we’ve still got a long long way to go
I’ve seen all I wanna see today

While I sit here trying to move you anyway I can
Someone’s son lies dead in a gutter somewhere
And it would seem that we’ve got a long long way to go
But I can’t take it anymore

Turn it off if you want to
Switch it off it will go away
Turn it off if you want to
Switch it off or look away

While I sit and we talk and talk and we talk some more
Someone’s loved one’s heart stops beating in a street somewhere
So it would seem we’ve still got a long long way to go, I know
I’ve heard all I wanna hear today

Turn it off if you want to (turn it off if you want to)
Switch it off it will go away (switch it off it will go away)
Turn it off if you want to (turn it off if you want to)
Switch it off or look away (switch it off or look away)

Switch it off
Turn it off

While I can turn off the images flooding my TV screen, the ones in my head play on. My prayers are with the homeland I’ve never visited and the family I’ll never know.

起死回生

kishi kaisei

(Wake from death and return to life)

« « Previous Post: An open letter to the clothing industry | Next Post: Here but not » »

15 Responses to “Kishi Kaisei”

1. Cassandra Frear March 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

It’s hard not for any heart to break. With you.
    Cassandra Frear´s last blog post ..Your Special Deal Today- 3 Posts in One!

2. Larry Hehn March 13, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

It has been a long time since I heard that song. I never paid that much attention to the lyrics, so they never struck me like they did today. Very powerful and so true, at least for me.

Here in Canada I’ve heard many news stories that follow the format, “38 people died in a plane crash in ______ today. There were no Canadians on board.”

Why do I unconciously breathe a sigh of relief to find out that I probably didn’t know any of those 38 people? It sickens me to think that I could think that way – that somehow it’s not as bad if it happens to someone I don’t know.

I think it’s only natural for us to feel more deeply about a cause that strikes closer to home for us – whether that be through geography or kinship.

I just hope and pray that I am always mindful of others and their suffering whether I know them or not.
    Larry Hehn´s last blog post ..Walking With Mom

3. Jason March 14, 2011 at 12:56 am #

My heart’s been breaking for what’s happening there.
    Jason´s last blog post ..Day 72- What I’ve done

4. Jim F March 14, 2011 at 7:33 am #

My heart breaks for the people of Japan and we had a concentrated time of prayer for them yesterday in the worship service.
    Jim F´s last blog post ..Crushed vs Merry

5. Sandra Heska King March 14, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Kathy, I’m glad you posted this. You have been on my heart all weekend. Wondering if you were wondering.
    Sandra Heska King´s last blog post ..Fuel for the Weekend- I’m a Lenten Failure

6. Helen March 14, 2011 at 9:12 am #

Just to let you know, I offered the Divine Mercy Chaplet for the people of Japan yesterday. I, too, feel for you.
    When the toxic waste disaster happened in Hungary a few months ago, I stayed up late several nights looking at the path the refuse was taking. Let’s just say I know a whole lot more about Hungarian geography than I did before that. I also facebook messaged a cousin, begging him to let me know he and the rest of the family are okay (they lived “in the path”, but ultimately it didn’t reach that far..). It turned out they moved a month before and never mentioned it (I haven’t visited since I was four, so they did not feel any urgency in giving me a change of address card…)
    I felt a lot better myself when I knew my blood relatives (some of whom I never met) were safe, even though their rivers are contaminated, and the sludge is causing their countrymen to need to go to other villages… I’m sorry that you have no way of knowing if your Mama’s side is okay. Her homeland will remain n my prayers.

• katdish March 14, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Thank you, Helen.

7. connie nylund March 14, 2011 at 9:36 am #

We continue to pray for our friends and missionaries in the area and the wonderful Japanese people who are loved by people around the world, and loved mostly by our loving God who intimately knows all the individual needs there. Praying you will find the comfort YOU are craving too! God will supply it with open hands and He will be doing many miracles that will have far reaching blessings we cannot begin to imagine!

8. Maureen March 14, 2011 at 9:39 am #

“While we live in the world, we always live in distance. . . Though distance can have many forms of separation, it need never be spiritual. One can still continue to remain close in spirit to the distanced one.
    “. . . There is no distance in spiritual space. This is what blessing does: it converts distance into spiritual space. . . .” ~ John O’Donohue

May blessings be upon you and all in Japan.

• katdish March 14, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Wow. Love that. Thanks, Maureen.

9. okiewife March 14, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I don’t have the words to express what I feel. Just tears and prayers.
    okiewife´s last blog post ..Cheetos

10. Fatcatdaddy March 14, 2011 at 11:47 am #

As a fellow half American I understand what you are saying. And as someone who once loved in that very foreign land I also grieve.

11. Hazel Moon March 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

We are in shock and can only feel the pain from afar. If only we could turn it off and it would go away!! but it is still there. We pray and we can give to various aid sources, but as you say the strength of Japan will be within their own people. There are inland churches already moving to assist. God help them and give them strength as they bring help and also bring the message of Hope in Christ.
    Hazel Moon´s last blog post ..Peace and Safety

12. Tony C March 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

It shames me to think a person could profess to be a Christian and be apathetic about any other human being. God created us all and loves us all.

In my job, I deal with local nationals working on US military bases in Japan. Last week, I sent an email to each one letting them know my concern and that they are in my prayers. While only two have responded so far, both were very grateful for the sentiments.

“Love your neighbor…” it’s #2 on the list people!
    Tony C´s last blog post ..Making fun of people always involves that rubber and glue thing

1. Reads of the week – 2011 – 11 « Hope In Love - March 18, 2011