Life goes on

On the morning of September 11, 2001 and the hours and days immediately following the terrorist attacks, life as usual for U. S. citizens came to an abrupt and collective halt. We eventually resumed our lives, forever changed but cognizant of the fact that life does indeed continue. Such will be the case for the people of Japan and other places around the world touched and forever changed by natural and man-made disasters and acts of violence.

As difficult as large scale disasters are, there is a degree of comfort in shared tragedy, knowing you are not alone in your suffering. But what of personal tragedy? How do you deal with life around you moving forward when the life you know is suddenly ripped out from under you?

I’ve been pondering this question quite a bit this past week. So much so that a friend suggested that I would hear something at church Sunday morning that God needed me to hear. My friend was right. Jeff’s sermon, which he had planned long before personal tragedies touched the lives of so many of our church family last week was “Hope in Suffering”.

One of the songs we sang was Matt Redmond’s “You never let go”. We’ve sang this song numerous times, but the lyrics meant much more this time:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back
I know You are near

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?

Chorus:
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me

And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth

Chorus:

Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

If you are walking in the shadowlands right now, please know that God has you in his grip and he will never let go of you. He is close even when he feels a million miles away.

“He heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds.” -Psalm 147:3

« « Previous Post: In praise of the inbred hick (repost by Billy Coffey) | Next Post: Heartbreak and handbags » »

14 Responses to “Life goes on”

1. Jason April 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Thanks, Kat.

2. SarahBee April 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

Thank you. I really needed this.

3. Amy Nabors April 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Love that song. The idea of hope in suffering is what made me choose my word for 2011. Eucharisteo. Giving thanks. I want to make giving thanks such a habit that when those hard times come I will still see the hope. Because without it how do you keep going?

4. Melinda Lancaster April 10, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Thank you so much for the timely reminder.
    God bless you!

5. Simply Darlene April 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

Those that hug and comfort and share are close enough to touch, thus bringing bits of God into the darkness…

Praying.

6. Deb Holmes April 10, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

Thanks for your words! Love that He is close even when He seems a million miles away!

7. Jake April 10, 2011 at 11:51 pm #

The only good thing about tragedy is that it’s universal. Nobody lives untouched from the pain of loss, violence or evil. This is good because it teaches us to lean on each other. It helps us support the weight of another person’s grief because we have empathy for them. Praying for you friend.

8. Wendy April 11, 2011 at 6:50 am #

I’ve played this song really loud at certain times in my life. Thanks for sharing today!
    ~ Wendy

9. Marni April 11, 2011 at 10:32 am #

“You Never Let Go” is one of my most favorite songs. I never make it through with dry eyes because those lyrics are my testimony…

I know you’ve had a rough couple of weeks. I’m still praying for you. And I’m blessed you choose to praise God in the storm. Love you sweet friend.

10. karenzach April 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

When tragedy strikes too often we push him away saying: This is your fault, God. If only you had __________ this never would have happened.

11. Hazel Moon April 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Who wants pain and suffering? What no hands raised? None of us desire death (and taxes) but they do arrive sometimes unexpectedly and other times just around the corner. I love the song you shared. I am happy your Pastor listens to the voice of the Holy Spirit and is prepared ahead of time with just the correct sermon to deliver to his flock.
    My Post today is “Birds of a Feather,”

12. Babbling Bumpkin April 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

This has been a rough month. Your words have provided healing and comfort. Thanks

13. Alise April 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

Beautiful post, Kat. It’s easy in those dark times to think that we’re alone, but we’re not. Thank you for the reminder.

14. floyd April 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks for sharing your heart and encouragement. We all get our turn walking through the “shadowlands,” our perspective while there is the only thing that separates us from the lost world. “Mourning lasts for a nighttime, but in the morning comes rejoicing”! God is bigger and more powerful than any storm… Thanks again for that reminder.