Winter rye

As suburban sprawl continues, the view from my back patio has changed from a wooded area full of wildlife and a 100 acres of grazing pasture for cattle to a view of subdivision fences and construction equipment installing the infrastructure for yet another new subdivision.

I don’t begrudge my new and soon to be new neighbors. Young families continue to flood into our little town seeking good, safe schools in which to send their children. That’s the very reason we moved here from Houston 9 years ago. We also knew when we bought this property that it was only a matter of time before the old gentlemen who owned the grazing land would concede to his grown children’s wishes and sell the property to a development company. I’m also grateful there is a neighborhood going up behind us instead of a shopping mall.

Still, I miss my view.

A few months ago, a representative came and talked to us about some drainage issues and installing fencing along the property line. Once our neighbor and we agreed, a sloped area was created to allow for proper drainage. When the lots are sold which back up to our property, a 6 foot fence will be built on the property line. With the grading and the slope, we’ll essentially have a view of a 9 foot fence along the back of our property. Oh, well…

Part of what the developer agreed to was to sod the slope. In this part of the country, the grass of choice is St. Augustine. It withstands the brutal heat we have in the summertime and only completely dies out for 2 or 3 months out of the year, depending on how cold it gets in the winter. Which is why I was surprised to see them spraying the slope with a rye grass mixture a couple of months ago. A week later, I figured there was a mix up about what type of grass to plant because I came home to find workers installing squares of St. Augustine over the rye grass seed.

Then I guess they had more important matters to attend to because no one watered the newly sodded grass and it died out. When they finally got around to watering the now dead St. Augustine, here’s what happened:

If the St. Augustine had been watered properly when it was first installed, it would have rooted and choked off the rye grass. I imagine once the spring rains come, along with the higher temps and humidity, the rye will wither and the St. Augustine will overtake the slope.

But for now, a view out my back door serves as a reminder that we can change our minds and our circumstances, but sometimes the things we plant then choose to replace or abandon may find their way back whether we want them or not. And sometimes we think winter is over, but it was only taking a few days off.

(I’m sorry if this post is vague. I’m processing some things that are weighing heavily on my heart and I just can’t discuss them publicly. They don’t involve anyone in my immediate family–we are all okay, and for that and so much more I am extremely grateful. So even though writing helps me sort through some things, sometimes I have to not write about some things. Clear as mud, huh? My hope is that if you can relate this to something in your own life it might serve as some measure of encouragement. If not, I’m really sorry you just read 600 words about what kind of grass I have in my back yard.)

« « Previous Post: Child of divorce | Next Post: What we treasure » »

12 Responses to “Winter rye”

1. A Simple Country Girl April 3, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Hey, your mud and my mud ought to get together. I reckon we could make a layered mud pie.

Holding you in my prayers.

2. Ed Blonski April 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Reminds me of something I heard by Steve Arterburn once: The wild oats we sow when young tend to take root. We will have to harvest them when we are older.

Well, he said something like that, anyway.

That’s what came to mind when I read the 600 words about the kind of grass you have in your back yard.

3. BeckeyZ April 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Clear as mud. I get it. I will be praying for whatever is weighing on your mind.

I actually enjoyed the grass post. I hate our yards. I wish we had something that didn’t need to be mowed or weeded, but that is fantasy I suppose, unless you have a yard full of gravel. And even then, I’m sure the weeds would figure out a way to grow.

4. Jason April 4, 2011 at 1:30 am #

At least you’re writing about grass and not smoking it.

5. Glynn April 4, 2011 at 4:40 am #

Sometimes, worrying about the grass helps witht he other, heavy stuff.

So we pray.

6. Megan Willome April 4, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Currently, the only grass growing in our entire yard (since we’ve only had 4 inches of rain since September) is winter rye, so right now, I love it! We’re fertilizing our weeds, encouraging them to spread, since they are apparently the only thing that can grow in our soil with consistency.

7. Helen April 4, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Whatever is weighing on your mind, I hope it is resolved handily.

8. Hazel Moon April 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Got-cha! Your parable comes through loud and clear. Taking off in one direction and realizing the error might be fixable. Time will take care of it eventually and hopefully everyone will be happy about the end solution. Good — will come of it in due course.

We once had a nice view of cattle grazing beyond our back yard fence when we lived in Oklahoma. I understand what you will miss.

By the way, I mentioned your blog in my current post “Hot to start a Blob. Hope you get some hits.

• Hazel Moon April 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

FYI: I follow you on Facebook to see your recent blogs which are all interesting to me. I am on Twitter at: AJoyfulSound,

9. seekingpastor April 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm #

Processing your thoughts through thinking/writing about othere things is a good strategy. Hope it helped.

10. jasonS April 5, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Makes sense to me. Although perhaps that should worry you. 🙂 Thanks Kat.

11. Jake April 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Kathy, you’re a wonderful human, I hope all goes well for you.