Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide

After much nagging from a few online friends, I decided to download a free Words with Friends app onto my iPhone a few months ago. Of course, having never played Scrabble before, I had no clue what to do. In retrospect, I suppose I could have googled “How to play words with friends”, but that would have been entirely too obvious and logical.

Instead, I would open the app every few days and stare at it. I started a few games, but it kept telling me something about an invalid tile placement or some such nonsense. I’m sure whomever I was attempting to play with assumed a toddler had gotten hold of their mother’s cell phone, and if anyone who doesn’t read this blog asks, that’s the story I’m going with.

New screen for Words with Friends

Now, before you Scrabble/Words with Friends experts roll your eyes at me (some of you probably already are), let me explain how I interpreted this game screen.

• The Star — Yeah. No idea what that was about. I didn’t realize your first word had to have one of the letters on that star. As a matter of fact, I thought one of the objects was to AVOID the star. (Welcome to my brain.)
  • DL, TL, DW, TW, et. al. — As some of you may know, I’m not a big fan of acronyms, so my brain does not seek them out. Imagine my frustration when I would make a great word like hanDLe, or DWight or TWeet and it refused me. Stupid game…

So now do you see why I never got past the first round of this game? Fortunately, the lovely and talented Amy Nabors, aka @amykiane showed me the errors of my ways. Now I’ve had the distinct pleasure of being completely annihilated by friends and strangers alike! I’ve lost count of how many games I’ve played over the last two days, but I do know the results of every game completed. I’VE LOST EVERY SINGLE GAME! Even when kind people like 1357bob took pity on me and tried to give me opportunities to score more than 5 points per round:

So, there you have it. The complete idiot’s guide to Words with Friends. If you want to boost your ego by playing quite possibly the worst Words with Friends player in the history of the world, I’m Katdish10.

« « Previous Post: Memories from the road | Next Post: Why I hate writing, Part 7: Show, don’t tell » »

43 Responses to “Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide”

1. Melissa Brotherton May 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Oh how I miss this game. 🙂 I was dying when you wrote that you were using the DW & TW tiles as letters! Haha! Hilarious. Maybe you’re just too smart for that game.

• katdish May 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

Um, yeah…too smart. That’s the ticket.

2. James Williams May 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

yep, I rolled my eyes. No offense.

Here’s my embarrassing admission about WWF:
    When I got my iPod Touch, a friend recommended the game to me. So I downloaded it, then proceeded to play a game. With myself. A month later, a friend pointed out that it was meant to be played with other people. I asked him “how the heck was I supposed to know that?” He pointed out that the name of the game is Words. With. Friends.

3. James Williams May 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

BTW, I am amazed that you had never played Scrabble before. I grew up on that game, and my 9-yr-old plays against me all the time now.

4. Jeanne Damoff May 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

You’re a riot. I can’t believe you’ve never played Scrabble before.

Is that a regular WWF screen? Why did it give you word choice options?

• katdish May 19, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Oh, I dunno. Just did a google image search for “new words with friends screen” and this is what came up. We played Monopoly and Life growing up. Never Scrabble.

5. Michael May 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

lol. I got really hooked on it about 6 months ago. I was playing too many games all the time. And @peterpollock and @learell were destroying me. I had to delete the app.

6. Donna Maria Coles Johnson May 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

Hands down, my favorite post of the day. Maybe even the week! Glad you figured it out. Now, the fun begins. Enjoy!

7. Simply Darlene May 19, 2011 at 12:55 am #

You lost me shortly after “after” in paragraph one, line one.

8. Candy May 19, 2011 at 2:20 am #

SNORT! (6 pts, unless you hit that TW which makes it 18). My personal favorite word of yours was “IS.” As creative as you are, just throw letters up there. Chances are pretty good it will actually be a word. Not a word you can use in a sentence, but a word nonetheless.

• katdish May 19, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I’m still crying fowl on “Dharma”. Pffft!

• Helen May 19, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Like the show “Dharma and Greg”? Real word.

• Johanna December 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Kathy! I just started playing this past July. I was a little unsure about it at first but I love the game now and can’t seem to put it down. One of my earliest strategies was to just place tiles on the board until it would accept my play! Thankfully I’m a little better now. 🙂 I’ve used a few different resources to improve my playing including studying from other players, looking up word lists and an app called Cheats & Words.

9. Amy Sorrells May 19, 2011 at 5:04 am #

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! If it makes you feel any better, you’re the only one I’ve been able to beat! WriterMama88 loves you!

• katdish May 19, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Yes, Amy. That makes me feel so much better. Thanks.

10. V.V. Denman May 19, 2011 at 7:19 am #

I’m glad to finally know what all the hub-bub is about. Everyone on FB is playing. Now I know to avoid it. I’m pretty sure I would be addicted immediately.

11. Louise May 19, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Thanks for the giggles this morning! Like others — imagine not having grown up on SCRABBLE? Amazing!

12. James Williams May 19, 2011 at 8:31 am #

If you want an addictive iPhone/iTouch/iPad game, try Cut the Rope. If you get into it, you will hate me for suggesting it.

• katdish May 19, 2011 at 8:35 am #

Already have it. I actually like to lose because I love the look on that frog’s face when he loses the candy.

13. Helen May 19, 2011 at 9:39 am #

I never played the adult version of Scrabble, just Junior Scrabble as a child.

I don’t have an iphone, so I wouldn’t know how to play WWF either. As a matter of fact, the first time you tweeted those letters, I thought it was a typo and that the middle W was supposed to be a T. Of course, the F stood for “French Toast”.

14. Ricky Anderson May 19, 2011 at 9:43 am #

That was hilarious!

I mean, the post was funny too, but playing you was hilarious!

I left you TW spots all over the board and you avoided them like the plague.

Good stuff.

1357bob

• katdish May 19, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Thanks for all your help, Ricky/Arthur/Bobby! Hey, you should be a Nascar driver!

15. Jenny May 19, 2011 at 11:34 am #

awesome! I have recently become hooked myself. 🙂

16. Tony C May 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I cuurently have 3 games going! Like you, I never was a Scrabble player, and it a little ‘trial and error’ for me to realize making big, impressive words is NOT the object of the game. Scoring points with the TL, TW and etc. is the name of the game.

Isn’t technology wonderful. Sorry to hear you’re a Star-bellied Sneetch though(iPhone/Droid reference).

17. jasonS May 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

What’s sad is when I first got it, I was playing 5 or 6 people at a time and actually stressing out about it. I felt like I needed to play as soon as it dinged that it was my turn. After a couple days I realized I was being stupid and it’s supposed to be at my leisure. Yeah, I’m all kinds of messed up (part of it from being the oldest child, but whatever). Thanks Kat. Great post.

18. Duane Scott May 20, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Kathy,

I freaking love this!

This was the best humor piece I’ve read this week.

Keep playing.

You’ll soon be addicted.

19. Laurie LMO_97 May 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Hope you’re having fun now. You really have gotten better! Glad you’re still playing.

20. Hazel Moon May 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

I love scrabble, but I think this game would be beyond me!
    I take was hilarious! Enjoyed your Post!

21. Tpicker May 30, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Omg, sooo funny. “I was playing left handed” lmao

22. kristian February 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

i just pray that i get this soon. mind u i actually went thru medical school yet this has me beyond baffled…maybe just a word of prayer…!

• katdish February 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

You should play against my friend CandySteele. She’s a nurse and plays lots of disgusting medical terms.

23. Jo June 27, 2012 at 12:19 am #

Once I have placed my letters, how do they begin the gameplay?

24. Kathy July 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

So what are the letters TL, DL, DW, etc??
    I’m definitely a newbie

• katdish July 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Triple Letter, Double Letter, Triple Word, etc.

25. Don March 4, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

How do I get the count option on words with friends free?

• katdish March 8, 2013 at 8:32 am #

I have no clue.

1. Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 2 | Katdish.net - June 1, 2011

[…] the first exciting and compelling installment of Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide, I debunked any false presumption that I was a smart or logical person. Clearly, anyone who […]

2. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 3 – Strategery | Katdish.net - June 16, 2011

[…] you read the first two installments of this series, Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, and Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, Part 2, you know by now that one can still enjoy […]

3. Words with friends: An Idiot’s Guide, Part 4 (More words that shouldn’t be) | Katdish.net - July 7, 2011

[…] Words with friends: An Idiot’s Guide Parts One, Two and Three, I have thus far written what is arguably the most educational and compelling series […]

4. Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide Part 3: Strategery (repost) | Katdish.net - October 31, 2011

5. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 4: Know your opponent | Katdish.net - February 6, 2012

[…] I know it’s been awhile since I’ve updated this important and compelling blog series, so in case you’ve missed earlier installments, you can find them here: Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide […]

6. Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 6: Trolling for celebrities | Katdish.net - August 14, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide […]

7. Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 7: Potty words | Katdish.net - August 23, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide […]