On patience and painting, Part 2

Last week I wrote about my daughter and I practicing patience while repainting her bedroom. One of the things I mentioned was that the furniture scheduled for mid-July would arrive on Monday, which it did:

Fortunately, we were able to get the painting finished as well as some much needed purging and reorganizing before the furniture was delivered. We’ve spent the remainder of the week putting things away and putting the finishing touches on the decorating. On Tuesday, while my son was at his weekly horn lesson, my daughter and I went on a quick but fruitful shopping excursion. I haven’t been to Pier One is ages, but I knew they had paper lanterns and was hoping they would have them in colors that matched the new room decor. We found those as well as three canvases, one of which coordinates with the room so well that I chocked it up to decorating serendipity:

As a matter of fact, the room was completely finished save for one thing. That big green rectangle on the wall in the first picture? This is what that rectangle used to look like:

If it were up to her, she probably wouldn’t mind painting over that rectangle and be done with it. But I really liked her name over her bed. I just needed to make some that would match her new room. I figured I would do what I did the first time: find some scrapbook paper that coordinated with the bedding. But after going to three craft stores, I knew that wasn’t going to happen. I opted for my second choice: hand painting the letters.

Which is a whole other lesson in painting and patience. The letters come painted white. But I never leave anything white if I can help it. So the first step in the project was sanding followed by a very unattractive base coat:

Followed by more sanding and a slightly less unattractive second coat:

And (you guessed it) more sanding then a third coat:

I suppose I could have left the letters purple and called it a day, but I can’t very well call myself an artist and have boring purple letters hanging in my house, now can I?

Then of course you have to put a sealer on them…

Don't worry. It dries clear.

Because I couldn’t stand to have a room almost finished. Especially when the one thing left unfinished was the first thing you saw when you walked into the room:

So, that’s why I’ve been a bit scarce the past few days around the interwebs. I’ve been practicing painting and patience. And hey, just to throw in another “P” word, I’ll say perseverance, too.

And now I can truly say the project is finished:

Except for 2 pictures I still need to hang, but I’ll get to those tomorrow…

« « Previous Post: The truth about cats and dogs | Next Post: Declaration of Independence (repost) » »

12 Responses to “On patience and painting, Part 2”

1. Simply Darlene July 1, 2011 at 12:10 am #

Cute! It’s a good thing you are creative AND smart… had that been me, I probably would have spelled the name wrong.

I see someone sleeping in that bed. Yeah, yeah, I’m quite the sleuth.

2. Candy July 1, 2011 at 6:07 am #

I absolutely love those colors & particularly the painted letters. Your little girl is growing up, you know, as evidenced by the decor. Love that you kept her name there. One last gasp of little girl…

3. Helen July 1, 2011 at 11:05 am #

I envy you your artistic talent. As a matter of fact, I’m going to list “find my own creative talent” on my dream list immediately!

There. It’s number 37.

4. jasonS July 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Looks great, Kat! I love getting to express creativity in these ways. I may be one of the few guys who’ll admit to watching some HGTV. They have some good ideas sometimes. 🙂

5. Duane Scott July 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Wow.

YOu did an amazing job, Kathy!

I seriously need you to visit my office and sprinkle some of your fairy dust around.

6. Hazel Moon July 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Delightful and so creative – – and so glad your patience held out! I like her name over her bed too!

7. sap July 3, 2011 at 3:33 am #

BEAUTIFUL! creative and simple at the same time!

8. randykukuru July 3, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Excellent job Kathy! Your patience really paid off. You’ve done nicely on the bed.

9. floyd July 3, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Nice job! Not a surprise that you didn’t do anything half way. What a great trait to be able to share with your daughter. This little project will reap benefits far beyond the beauty of the job itself. Good job mom.

10. jake July 4, 2011 at 12:33 am #

The room looks good and I like the colors. I don’t know jack about decorating (we have NOTHING hung on my apartment walls, but it’s where dudes hang out, so there you go…)

11. Louise July 4, 2011 at 8:05 am #

You truly are amazing!

I want a room like that — or at least — I want you to come to Calgary and help me paint my house so I can have many rooms like htat!

Happy 4th!

12. karenzach July 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

Wish I’d been half as productive, and twice as creative.