On patience and painting

Last month I wrote a post called Holding on to the past. If you missed it, I talked about how we had ordered new furniture and bedding for my daughter’s room. Because she suffers from what many of us suffer from: too much stuff and not enough space to put it all, she finally agreed to part with a sizable collection of My Little Ponies, Littlest Pet Shop Pets, Barbies and all the various and sundry paraphernalia that accompanies said collections. Save for that one special item we retrieved from the giveaway box, all the others toys she agreed to part with are gone in order to make room for the new furniture. Her old desk and chair and a very large storage unit/entertainment center from IKEA are also gone. Her bed is still here, but it’s disassembled and will most likely be picked up this weekend.

The redecorating process is going as planned, just not as scheduled.

I received a call on Tuesday informing me that the furniture tentatively scheduled to be delivered July 15 will instead be delivered on Monday. Yeah, this coming Monday.

Fabulous.

I had planned to take my sweet time getting my daughter’s room painted. That’s all changed. It has now become a bit of a rush job. Having said that, a rush painting job does not equate to sloppy or bad painting job. I’m fairly laid back about certain jobs I do around the house, but I’m a little particular when it comes to painting.

Soup Nazi photo courtesy of photobucket.com

Which would be fine if my daughter wasn’t so helpful. She REALLY wanted to help me paint. She’s asked me roughly 74 times when that would happen. She wasn’t really interested in the patching and cleaning of the walls and baseboards, the removal of the outlet covers, the retexturing of the mysterious hole in the wall and whatnot.

I’ll be honest. I wasn’t exactly excited about the prospect of her helping me paint. Like I said, I’m a little particular about how a room should be painted. But we both shared some valuable lessons today. She practiced patience while I performed all those mundane but necessary tasks before the actual painting began

She learned how to roll paint on the wall

I learned that I actually didn’t freak out when things weren’t done exactly the way I would do it

(Okay, I freaked out a little. I also rolled over that spot.)

She rolled, I cut in. We’ve got a day’s worth of painting yet to do. But I’m confident we can work as a team and have her room ready before the Monday furniture delivery without any major incidents.

Maybe just some minor ones…

Update: That previous picture looked kinda weird. Here's the wall after I cut it in with a brush.

« « Previous Post: PCB: The man, the myth, the legend | Next Post: An economy of words » »

18 Responses to “On patience and painting”

1. Kelly Sauer June 24, 2011 at 7:15 am #

I love the pink tape. What a bonding experience this must be for you! My Pip and I can hardly share projects because we both have such strong ideas about how we would do it – and she’s only FOUR. It’s going to be interesting, growing together with her…

• katdish June 24, 2011 at 7:47 am #

That’s not tape. That’s the wall. I only use tape when I absolutely have to. My daughter has some very strong opnioms about decorating her room. It’s been interesting.

2. Matt @ The Church of No People June 24, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Yeah, I’m plagued by perfectionism, even when dealing with adults. 🙂 Sometimes, you have to let it go, or just give people something to do that you can paint over later. 🙂

3. Diana June 24, 2011 at 8:43 am #

Oh my gosh. Do not come to my house. I am the worst painter ever. And I don’t even care. I’m impatient and ADD-ish so anything that takes too long or that I have to do twice — like edging — doesn’t get *eh hem* the attention it should. You can come paint here if you want.

4. okiewife June 24, 2011 at 8:45 am #

I have to admire your patience. When it comes to painting the walls I just want to leave home and return when it’s over. I’d rather take my watercolors and paper and go to the park or somewhere.

5. Simply Darlene June 24, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Can you provide us with an audio clip. I’d like to hear what you can do with the paint Nazi voice. 😉

Kudos on the painting. I am not allowed unsupervised visits with cans of paint and rollers.

6. Helen June 24, 2011 at 9:40 am #

I don’t think I’ve ever painted a room before. Now I’m scared… I think letting her help now is an excellent idea. Things may not turn out perfectly, but at least she will know she can do it.

BTW, it probably is a good thing that I didn’t paint my dining room lilac last year, since I have changed my mind and now want peach walls.

7. jasonS June 24, 2011 at 10:38 am #

I have jobs like this where I’m really hesitant to let my kids help because I’m wanting to avoid a meltdown (from them or me). I had some issues with that growing up though where my dad would let me help then would get mad and make me leave. That was pretty consistent so I sort of unconsciously decided that I wasn’t good at fixing stuff around the house or building or whatever. It’s been a long process to overcome that and I don’t want my kids going through the same thing. All that to say, good for you, Kat. I’m as patient as I can be and I can always use a little more. 🙂

8. floyd June 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Good for you and your little clone! My youngest helped me do some painting a couple years ago. She knows when it’s time for me to work, it’s all business. She did great and ended up with the paint in the hair as well. She brings up that experience quite a bit. I just wore a pair of shorts this week that I used to do that painting, the paint spots reminded us of our adventure. These things are what the best memories are made of. Thanks for the reminder.

9. Jason June 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

I love the finished product. 🙂 I think over the years you’ll find that more special than if you did it “right” your way. 🙂

10. seekingpastor June 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I’m excited about teaching my kids to mow, but I am a little nervous about the outcome.

11. Duane Scott June 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

You cut a room much nicer than me.

I had to go back with Killz and get all the places my brush had hit the ceiling.

12. trudy June 25, 2011 at 3:42 am #

Keeping a child involved always bonds you closer! I think its great she really wanted to help you out! 🙂

13. karenzach June 26, 2011 at 10:35 am #

Okay, I’m still mortified that you didn’t tape — how do you get that blue edged up to the ceiling without getting it on the ceiling???
    Tell your daughter she’s welcome to come paint at my house anytime.

14. Hazel Moon June 27, 2011 at 2:15 am #

I always got upset if they did not do it like I would do it, but in the long run; our way is usually faster or better.
    You have the patience of Job and it was good to have her work with you. She hung in there too and that is a good character trait.

15. katdish June 27, 2011 at 5:42 am #

The key to cutting in is a good quality sash brush and a steady hand. And practice. Lots and lots of practice.

16. jake July 4, 2011 at 12:36 am #

I love that you’re the paint nazi. It just makes sense for you. I love the things you care about. I think your “laid-backness” comes out in some things that you’ve blogged about but at the same time, you are very serious about several other things and I just respect you for it.

Either way, good job with the painting, decorating, the patience and everything else involved!

1. On patience and painting, Part 2 | Katdish.net - June 30, 2011

[…] week I wrote about my daughter and I practicing patience while repainting her bedroom. One of the things I mentioned was that the furniture scheduled for […]