Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Lame apologies

I’m cranky. I blame the heat.

And I’m sick and tired of people lying.

Last week it was Anthony Weiner. While I certainly don’t condone his irresponsible and icky behavior, everybody does stupid stuff they later regret. What I took great issue with was not only his denial, but his vehement denial; calling representatives from all the major networks into his office and claiming he was a victim of a Twitter hacker. That lasted until the other pictures surfaced. Only then did he call a press conference with his tearful apology. I’m pretty sure Representative Weiner is sorry. Sorry he got caught. Lame apology.

Then Sunday afternoon, NBC ran a patriotic opening at the beginning of the U.S. Open which they later apologized for during the broadcast. The following is a clip from Fox News. There were other clips on YouTube, but this was the only one I found where both the audio and video were clear. If you don’t want to listen to the commentary that follows, simply stop the video:

Shortly after the piece aired, NBC Sports host Dan Hicks apologized for the cut:

“We began our coverage of this final round just about three hours ago and when we did it was our intent to begin the coverage of this U.S. Open Championship with a feature that captured the patriotism of our national championship being held in our nation’s capital for the third time,” Hicks said. “Regrettably, a portion of the Pledge of Allegiance that was in that feature was edited out. It was not done to upset anyone and we’d like to apologize to those of you who were offended by it.”

Whatever…

Am I upset that they intentionally took “Under God” out of the piece? Yeah, it upsets me. But it certainly doesn’t surprise me. It’s pretty much par for the course these days. It matters not that those words are actually part of the official pledge.

Someone on staff at NBC took it upon themselves to intentionally omit those words and the powers that be at NBC thought they could slide it by viewers without taking much heat for it. It was a bad miscalculation on their part. They apologized because the outrage was such that they had to cover their asses, but I don’t think anyone mistook the apology as sincere. I actually think it was worded so as to come across as insincere. It sounded like something Bart Simpson would write on the blackboard at the beginning of The Simpsons.

Spare me and everyone else the lame apologies NBC. If you don’t believe in God or do believe in Him and hate him, or encourage free speech but only when it fits your political leanings, then fine. Do that. Knock yourself out. But don’t try to play both sides of the fence. Nobody’s buying it, and I for one am tired of being treated like I don’t know any better.

And I’ll let you in on a little secret: People aren’t as stupid and ignorant as you think they are.

End of katrant.

« « Previous Post: Parched | Next Post: PCB: The man, the myth, the legend » »

22 Responses to “Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Lame apologies”

1. Glynn June 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

My favorite apology, used by politicans, celebrities, etc., is this: “If I offended anyone…” Any apology that starts with “if” is not an apology, all it means is that you got caught and your advisors are making you admit it so you can say “that’s behind us.”

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 9:40 am #

Excellent point, Glynn. “If I offended anyone” is like saying, “You really shouldn’t be offended, but…”

2. karenzach June 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

I’m snicker ’cause you said asses. 🙂 I like it when you rant. It’s a justified rant. I did my own bit of ranting today. This wasn’t an accident. NBC is caught with their pants down. Kinda like Weiner…

3. Jason June 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

I was part of the media for 20 years. They know exactly what they’re doing and they apologize when they get caught. This NBC thing is simply bull&&&&.

4. floyd June 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

YOU GO GIRL! Thanks for speaking for what I believe is the majority of Americans. We have a small piece of our country trying to control the rest. This is the tail waggin’ the dog, and it needs to stop! I don’t recall reading in the Bible anywhere that is says to not stand up for God and His word. This country is here by the miraculous hand of God. Most of us know it, we just have to be heard. This is a nice start. Thanks.

5. Hazel Moon June 21, 2011 at 2:04 am #

All this politically correct stuff must send a stink to the nostrils of God.

I hear that Pres O wants to change the National Anthem because it is too terrist sounding with all the bombs bursting in air. I think he wants “We are the world” instead. Keep ranting Kat

6. Bradley J. Moore June 21, 2011 at 5:25 am #

Yeah, Weinergate was disgusting. There have been some good articles (mostly by women journalists) about the questionable link between power and risk-taking and bad behavior, and the utter stupidity that goes on with these men (speaking of liars, uh, Ahnold?)

So NBC thinks they can set the Word on God censorship. What else is new. Your Katrant is well-grounded.

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I think there is a connection, Brad. Having worked with a few politicians, I’ve seen it first hand.

7. Louise June 21, 2011 at 7:45 am #

I like it when you rant too! And I wish I could blame my rants on heat — haha — we’re still rainy on the prairies!

8. jake June 21, 2011 at 8:24 am #

First of all, you said icky. I think that word FULLY captures Weiner’s activities and motivations. Second of all, you’re entirely right, some people (corporate America and politicians) only apologize when they get busted, and they suck at it. The unfortunate thing is that they really don’t have the moral backbone to see how their actions are so repulsive (okay, many of them don’t. Some do, but I think it’s WORSE when they end up like this). When they don’t get it, they’re not going to offer a genuine apology. Weiner IS icky. Kat, I love it when you’re grumpy.

9. Ed Blonski June 21, 2011 at 9:12 am #

I appreciate your rant.

However, what I don’t appreciate was the inaccuracy of the reporting on Fox News that you included in your rant.

The newscaster and her guest said that “two words” were omitted.

The truth is that THREE words were omitted.

“…under God, indivisible.”

It doesn’t change the justifiable outrage of your rant nor of the Fox News story. But it is so very important that the facts are accurate.

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Well, there you go. They did leave out indivisible.

10. Simply Darlene June 21, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Sometimes a country song says it best…

Whatever you do today you’ll have to sleep with tonight

He’d say you’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything
    You’ve got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
    Never compromise what’s right and uphold your family name
    You’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything

Now I know that things are different than they were in Daddy’s days
    But I still believe what makes a man really hasn’t changed…

~ Aaron Tippin (“You’ve Gotta Stand for Something”)

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Those are some good lyrics, Darlene. I like country music in small doses. Too much makes me stabby.

11. Marni June 21, 2011 at 10:23 am #

I love grumpy ho Kat. She’s awesome.

I had a student call me last week (She was 31 years old. I had her records in front of me). She was mad that she was dropped from a class for non-attendance–because she didn’t know where the room was. I offered to put her back in the class if the instructor was okay with that (instructor was). Instead, she just wanted to yell, cuss and act like a brat for the better part of 10 minutes about how unfair it was she was ever dropped. She wanted a refund for the class. Ha! After she finally took a breath, I said “I see that you are receiving a Pell Grant. If you insist on the drop staying, your Pell Grant will drop and you won’t receive any money.” She got very cooperative, very fast.

Later that day she emailed me. Here’s her email: Mrs. White. Thank you for your help yesterday and sorry if I came across rude at all. (she screamed, she cussed, but she’s unsure if she came across as rude?) Here’s my favorite part. She has an email signature. Here’s what it says: “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

Ironic about the attitude part, no?

Yeah, I hate lame apologies too. I’d just rather they not apologize at all if they don’t mean it.

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

“sorry if I came across as rude at all”? Sigh…

12. Richard Mabry June 21, 2011 at 11:13 am #

I’m with you. And as your friend, Billy Coffey, mentioned in a tweet, George Costanza said it best: “You can stuff your sorries in a sack, Mister.”

13. jasonS June 21, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Wow, I hadn’t heard about this with NBC. Thanks for the informative rant here Kat. The insincerity of people who are supposed to be so open-minded is pretty incredible, but then it’s not really anything new. Thanks.

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Yeah. Ironic, huh?

14. Tony Alicea June 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

A sucky apology is as much of a slap in the face as the initial offense. This katrant brought a tear to my eye!

• katdish June 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Thanks, Tony. I concur. But what’s with all the man crying? I think you’ve been hanging around kelybreez too much.

15. Annie K June 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

I can’t stand apologies with a ‘but’ in them. I’m sorry, but…

And you used the work icky to describe Weiner. Ironic?