Puddy in his hands

The release of Rob Bell’s controversial book Love Wins and the public discourse among Christians before and after its release hasn’t exactly been the greatest public relations coup in the history of the church. And let’s face it, we can say we love God and love people until we’re blue in the face, but if we don’t back up our words with the way we live and the way we treat each other, let alone those who aren’t Christians, we probably deserve much of the bad press we’ve received. I’m not suggesting we simply agree to disagree and not speak out against what we believe to be bad theology or legalism, we just need to do a better job with how we present our beliefs. The world is watching us.

I’ve often said that you can relate just about any life circumstance to an episode of Seinfeld, and I was only partly kidding. Funny how a show about nothing seemed to have covered just about everything. In the following montage, Puddy reminds us how NOT to be salt and light:

(Sorry, you’ll have to watch the clip on youtube because of copyright stuff.)

What important life lessons have you learned from Seinfeld?

« « Previous Post: Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 3 – Strategery | Next Post: Parched » »

15 Responses to “Puddy in his hands”

1. James Williams June 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

That’s a great clip, and your main point is a solid one. However, I have to argue a little about the Rob Bell thing. I read a zillion blog posts about it when it was all going on, and I have to say, I saw very little in the way of actual vitriol. I did see a lot of talk about how there was a lot of hateful comments and such, but I didn’t see the hate itself. Just a lot of people talking about how wrong it is to be hateful.

• katdish June 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Thanks, James. Really? Because I saw a whole bunch of hateful comments. But the blogs I read them on tend to draw a pretty contentious following. Some folks like to argue for the sake of arguing.

• Tony Alicea June 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Yup, me too. I have to find these friendly blogs that James visits.

2. Jason June 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

If I say I couldn’t stand Seinfeld can I still read and post comments here? 😉

• katdish June 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

No, Jason. You’re dead to me. (I kid, of course, and I’ll still pray for you. Probably even more now.)

3. Candy June 17, 2011 at 6:58 am #

My name is Candy, and I’m a recovering Soup Nazi.

4. Louise June 17, 2011 at 7:39 am #

I work with a man who can relate something that happens everyday to at least one Seinfeld episode. He’s pretty brilliant!

Can you pray for me too please? I haven’t seen every Seinfeld episode — very few in fact.

5. Tony Alicea June 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

“I’m not the one going to hell”
    “I shalt not steal”

Best. Show. Ever.

What I learned? “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”

6. sap June 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

something is wrong with this clip. i can’t open it…

7. ella June 20, 2011 at 3:41 am #

Yep gotta walk the walk if u’re talking the talk, if you don’t no one will take you seriously later

8. Marni June 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

I learned:

1. There is a festivus for the rest of us
    2. Pretzels make me thirsty
    3. I could convert to Judaism just for the jokes

• katdish June 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

I’m planning my own Summer of George. Except for the George part, of course.

9. Amanda Gordon June 21, 2011 at 12:31 am #

I absolutely loved Seinfeld. On a funny note, the thing I learnt from Seinfeld is this:
    That George Costanza practically invented “Its not you, it’s me!” 😉

10. van025 June 22, 2011 at 2:13 am #

The important life lessons I have learned from Seinfeld is There is a festivus for the rest of us and Pretzels make me thirsty,too.

11. michelle June 25, 2011 at 8:50 am #

I have to agree that you can’t be blind to criticism. Also, just giving yourself a label, and thinking people will judge you by that label alone is not enough.

You have to show through action that you stand by your beliefs, and not discrimate in your actions for any reason.