Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 2

In the first exciting and compelling installment of Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide, I debunked any false presumption that I was a smart or logical person. Clearly, anyone who downloads a game app on their iPhone then stares at it for months hoping to ascertain how to play by sheer will rather than googling “How to play Words with Friends” is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

However…

Over the past two weeks, I have gained priceless knowledge about the inner workings of this game. Knowledge that I will share with you today.

Because that’s me.

I’m a giver.

The following are a few random observations about my journey into the world of Words with Friends (WWF). It is my sincere hope that you will benefit from my learning some things the hard way.

There are certain words used in WWF that I dare say have never been uttered by human lips. No one really knows what they mean, and if you look them up in the dictionary, the definition most likely will say, “word used in Scrabble”. This definition may quite possibly be written in the margin with a red crayon. The Mac Daddy of all of these nonsensical words is:

QI or its plural form QIS

Then there are those words whose root word is allowed, but not their verb form:

"STANK"

But not "STANKY"

There are other words that, if used in a writing assignment, would be circled with a big, red angry pen, but are apparently perfectly acceptable in WWF. Words like “NOHOW”. The use of these words may stir up anger and resentment in your opponent:

These seeds of resentment sometimes spill over into other forms of social media:

And speaking of acceptable and unacceptable words, many of you already know that proper nouns are not allowed. I found this out when my triple word score of “PEZ” was summarily rejected. JUNE is also not acceptable, even though I would argue that “JUNE” is a descriptive of “BUG”. But nobody asked me. You can, however use this word:

"JUN" - yeah, I don't know what it means either.

And finally, in choosing words, you must let your conscious be your guide. There are certain cuss words which are allowed and others that are not. I’ve tried to avoid using any bad words. Unless of course a double or triple word score is involved. (Sidenote: “BADGERASS” is not an acceptable WWF word. Or so I’ve heard.)

If you do choose to use questionable words, my personal recommendation would be only to do so with someone you know, and a quick text to them in the form of an explanation may be in order:

Just to make sure you’ve not offended anyone and everything isย COPACETIC.

So what say you, Words with Friends fans? Am I leaving out any crucial information? Care to share some uncommon words with me? Talk to me.

« « Previous Post: Holding on to the past | Next Post: Water, water everywhere » »

30 Responses to “Words with Friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 2”

1. Peter p June 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Have you tried

Qanat
    Qaida
    Qaid
    Haji

?

• katdish June 1, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Haven’t tried any of them NOHOW!

2. Sherry June 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

My favorites are za, jo, qat, xi, and xa. Oh, and ka and ki are good, too.

3. Amy Sorrells June 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

My favorites are QI and XI. I lose pretty much always. Even to my tweenage sons, except that we seem to all be able to beat YOU, lol! I’d say more, but I have 32 hand-written pages of a little NOVEL I need to type in and send SOMEONE! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hilarious!!!! As always! XOXOXOXO

4. karen ritch June 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Ha. Just started WWF Saturday. My sisters-in-law are addicts. I just got nailed by ‘res’ but scored big with “wifi.” Who knew that was already a word?

5. Jeanne Damoff June 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

STANKY as the “verb form” of the “root word” STANK?

I just bound and gagged my inner English teacher, but she’s squirming hard. I better get out of here before she breaks free . . .

• katdish June 2, 2011 at 10:14 am #

What is the past tense of STINK? Is it STUNK? And if so, is STUNKY a word?

6. Candy June 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

I personally like medical terms – they tend to jump out at me. Like ileus, uremia, and poo. It also helps to add -itis, -emia, and -ectomy to a lot of words. And generic drugs are a gold mine. Then there are plurals, -ly and -ie. I still lose, however. Frequently.

One of my favorites was “dirndl.” I could feel that pesky Brit seething from clear across the country. He has apparently never dressed up as a little German girl.

On a different note, I need to figure out how to do a phone screen capture. Can you do a post on that?

• Alise June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am #

Tyler Dirndl?

I don’t want to play any of you people. I lose too much as it is.

7. Helen June 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

I feel so deprived now. I don’t have the apparati to play WWF, nor do I have the “nohow”.

8. Tony Alicea June 2, 2011 at 8:28 am #

I’ve given up arguing protocol on WWF. It’s all about the points, wins and bragging rights.

Especially after I was beaten by almost 300 points one day.

9. Simply Darlene June 2, 2011 at 9:28 am #

iHaveNo
    iPhone

I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.

10. karenzach June 2, 2011 at 10:06 am #

I feel like I didn’t get picked for Dodge Ball…again…

11. kelybreez June 2, 2011 at 10:14 am #

I’m just glad I’m back. I missed WWF. “QAT” is a word, but not “QATS”

• katdish June 2, 2011 at 10:15 am #

What’s your WWF name?

12. Laurie LMO_97 June 2, 2011 at 10:32 am #

LOL’d all the way thru this! All the reasons the game is both frustrating and addicting! ๐Ÿ™‚

We are visiting friends in KC. Haven’t seen them for a year. Lounged on their sofa last night as we talked and played WWF together. haha

By the way, I’m LMO_97 on WWF! ๐Ÿ™‚

• katdish June 2, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Thanks, Laurie. You raise an excellent point. If you challenge someone to a game, make sure they know who you are. How am I supposed to know who you are if your WWF name is different from your Twitter handle?

I’m talking to you, WriterMama88 and PPBottle. (Okay, not so much PPBottle. I know who PPBottle is. I just don’t know its origins. Not so sure I want to, either.)

• Laurie LMO_97 June 2, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Also, if you change your “handle” be sure to tell people! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Candy June 2, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Trust me, you don’t want to play him. He uses a foreign dictionary. It seems foreign to me, anyway.

14. Hazel Moon June 2, 2011 at 11:51 am #

This looks like a fun game, but my phone is only an emergency phone so this would not work for me. I do enjoy Pogo.com where you can play games against friends or strangers for that matter.
    They have a very nice scrabble game.

15. Jake June 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

THIS MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD for the first time today. Kathy, your style makes me happy. I always see WWF and think WTF and I try to swear on it. We should play a game. I might invite you tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Bryan August 25, 2011 at 5:18 am #

somebody recently used the words “nite” and “dey” against me and got points -_- lol

17. Joyce Sikes June 7, 2012 at 9:31 am #

It says no proper nouns–but I’ve had tarzan, jane, and laura played against me, so I’m confused on that rule.

• katdish June 7, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Not sure about tarzan, but jane and laura are both proper and common, as is Texas.

18. LeighlyLC August 11, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Here’s a ponderer for you:

I had a blank tile.
    I played ‘QIS’, placing the ‘Q’ on a ‘double word’ space. So…I’m thinking, ‘hootie hoo!!! I’ll get 32 points!!’. But I only got 4. What’s the deal, Dick Vermeel?

• katdish August 11, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Blank tiles are worth zero points. Zero times 3 is still zero, right?

19. Barbie November 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

My friend used Tarzan and it accepted it. I thought proper names are not accepted.

1. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 3 – Strategery | Katdish.net - June 16, 2011

[…] you read the first two installments of this series, Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, and Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, Part 2, you know by now that one can still enjoy this friendly word game even if you’re pretty much […]

2. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 5: Know your opponent | Katdish.net - August 14, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 2 […]

3. Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 6: Trolling for celebrities | Katdish.net - August 23, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 2 […]