Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 3 – Strategery

If you read the first two installments of this series, Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, and Words with friends, An idiot’s guide, Part 2, you know by now that one can still enjoy this friendly word game even if you’re pretty much horrible at it. It’s all about attitude! And hey, I’ve even managed to win a few games lately.

I attribute these few victories to learning from my defeats (of which there are many), and a little something I call Strategery.

In my first WWF post, I introduced 1357bob, who goes by the name of Arthur on the Twitter and Ricky on his blog. I’m not sure if he’s one of those fancy people who have several names followed by a Roman numeral or if he’s in the Federal Witness Protection Program, so for purposes of this discussion, I will simply refer to him as Ricky Bobby.

Ricky Bobby has been extremely helpful in educating me about the game. If you recall from the first post, he tried to teach me about strategery. He even left double and triple word scores open for me, to no avail.

Still, Ricky Bobby and others have continued to play against me, even though I’m not exactly fierce competition, and like I said, I am getting better. When I first started playing, I played with random opponents. I’ve since rethought this because people who don’t know anything about me don’t seem to get the fact that I really do play this game for fun. One person thought he would begin with some small talk and then try to intimidate me:

Funny, he didn’t challenge me to another game…oh, well.

When playing WWF, it has been my experience that most of us tend to use words we are familiar with. CandySteele uses horrible and disgusting medical terms, KelyBreez uses big lawyer words, PPBottle and 77Eric…well, quite honestly, I have no idea where they get the words they use except maybe their Giant Book of Scrabble Words. I have a 9 and 13 year old living with me. This may or may not have something to do with many of my word choices.

And speaking of common nouns, I still take issue with the WWF powers that be that decide some nouns which should be proper (LAURA, for example), are accepted while others are not:

In conclusion, I would like to thank all of you who have played and continue to play WWF with me. You’ve all made me a better player, a better person, and more importantly, a better procrastinator of tackling giant piles of laundry. It is my sincere hope that while I may not teach you anything about WWF, perhaps you can glean some inspiration from me in other ways:

« « Previous Post: Home | Next Post: Puddy in his hands » »

17 Responses to “Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 3 – Strategery”

1. Louise June 16, 2011 at 3:33 am #

Too funny! And I’m still not going to play. You might beat me!

2. Amy Sorrells June 16, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Tanto!?!?! RoTFL!!!! I have tears rolling down my face I’m laughing so hard. Greatest. Post. Evah!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

3. kelybreez June 16, 2011 at 6:27 am #

How appropriate is it that in a post about a spelling game, you misspelled my name the very first time you got the opportunity?

And “poos” and “dung” aren’t lawyer words.

They’re words ABOUT lawyers.

• katdish June 16, 2011 at 7:10 am #

Sorry about that. It was late, and I didn’t have enough vowels.

• kelybreez June 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

Great. Now you corrected it, which makes my original comment either… 1) Look stoopid, like I don’t know how to spell my own twitter name; or 2) Confuse everyone, because the whole world will now be trying to figure out how to spell my twitter name. (Because we both know that the whole world cares and is, even as we type, trying to figure out the correct spelling of my twitter name so that they can follow me.)

So, it’s @kelybreez, just like you (now) have it in the body of your slightly more than gargantuanly, ginormously hilarious to the point of rib demolishing blog post.

Kat, as Booley says to Miss Daisy in the greatest movie of all time – rivaled only by Princess Bride – “You’re a doodle.”

And you are. A doodle, indeed. So much, a doodle.

• Candy June 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

I’m afraid @kelybreez has let his medication run out again.

4. Jonathan B June 16, 2011 at 7:10 am #

“Yeah, that’s right. I just insulted the entire State of Iowa. But I was totally kidding. In related news, you should probably not insult the state where your opponent lives.”

See, this is why you should play games internationally. Then you can graduate from states to insulting entire countries. Multiplayer games are even better, because then you can try to creatively insult multiple countries in a single sentence. On one of the online groups where I hang out, we have multiple countries represented, so we get a variety of national insults. Pretty much everyone beats up on the Swedes, including the Swedes. Two Swedes insulting each other for being Swedish is kinda hysterical sometimes. πŸ™‚

My personal favorite to use with the British is to complain that if they named the language after them, you’d think they could speak and spell it better. Mind you, this is only wise to use with people you know. πŸ˜€

5. Candy June 16, 2011 at 7:21 am #

FYI (not an allowable word), I never walk around when playing WWF (also not allowable). It continually amazes how many random letters I can throw up to make a real word that I have no idea how to use in a sentence. If you got the gong and had to pass every time a wrong word was rejected, I’d never get a turn.

My strategery is to learn from others. Ever since kelybreez played the “obiism” card, I’ve used it a LOT.

6. Tony Alicea June 16, 2011 at 7:27 am #

These guides are awesomesauce. I’m going to challenge you. For the entertainment if nothing else. πŸ™‚

I’m “toekn33”

7. Eric June 16, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Hey – they English degree has to pay off somehow. Don’t have too many places to use those big words I’ve learned.

8. kelybreez June 16, 2011 at 8:01 am #

Just wait till I go on vacation next week. Oh, the words that are coming your way…

9. Helen June 16, 2011 at 8:02 am #

I don’t play words with friends because I don’t have the apparati for it, but yesterday I was watching a DVD with season 1 episodes of Psych, and this scene had me laughing so hard that the room was spinning!
    Thank you for the opportunity to share that.
    Oh yes, I’m glad for you that your Scrabble “skills” are improving!

• katdish June 16, 2011 at 8:12 am #

The Hammer of Jeff! Monkey with Rash! Okay, I may or may not have watched that 3 times in a row. Thanks for sharing, Helen.

10. Kirsten June 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

this made me laugh out loud. I cannot play Scrabble for all the reasons you have posted here. The high-tech element of WWF wld just make me feel worser. And I would be without strategery on that one.

1. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 5: Know your opponent | Katdish.net - August 14, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 3: Strategery […]

2. Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 7: Potty words | Katdish.net - August 23, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 3: Strategery […]