Expected losses

I went camping over the weekend. Away from the news for three days. From what I’ve seen of this morning, most of it was bad. Very bad. People died. Many people died for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, their deaths seem somehow more tragic because they were so completely unexpected. Madness which turns a troubled soul towards the destruction of others is always shocking. We try to make sense of it after the fact, piecing together all the red flags we missed leading up to the tragedy so that it doesn’t happen again, all the while conceding to the sad fact that it probably will.

Madness which turns a troubled soul towards its own destruction is rarely shocking. Singer/songwriter Amy Winehouse was found dead in her home on Saturday. The official cause of death has not been released pending autopsy, but I doubt there is anyone who has ever heard of her who assumes it wasn’t drug and/or alcohol related. Her addictions were well documented and played out in front of the world, her talent overshadowed by our fascination with her self destruction.

Amy Winehouse, dead at 27 years of age to no one’s surprise. Perhaps that’s the saddest element of her death.

« « Previous Post: On God and King | Next Post: The perfect swing » »

8 Responses to “Expected losses”

1. Tony Alicea July 25, 2011 at 8:18 am #

It was a crazy few days in the news. My heart broke when I heard about the massacre in Norway at that youth camp.

I was really sad about Amy Winehouse as well. I have both of her albums and they are incredible. She had an amazing gift. But more than her gift, she was a human being. One that God loved tremendously.

2. Louise July 25, 2011 at 8:22 am #

We serve so many people at the shelter where I work under the influence of their addiction — and the only difference between them is — they’re still alive. it is often a suicide mission with life — and sometimes, they lose.

i’m always amazed when I’ve been ‘off the grid’ for a few days how the world continues to turn and churn without me knowing the details.

Hope the camping trip was fun!

3. Maureen July 25, 2011 at 11:04 am #

I wish I could imagine going off-grid for a few days and returning to find out that absolutely nothing happened. I cried when I saw the photos from Norway.

I was pleased to hear this morning that the court in Norway closed the proceedings to media and the public, to deny the killer a forum (he admitted to killing nearly 100 people, mostly young men and women, but denied he’s guilty; the max he can get is 21 years). Contrast that with the mob scene around Winehouse’s house as the authorities were removing her body — a sick fascination. I wonder if she had even one person in her life who loved her enough.

4. karenzach July 25, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Russell Brand wrote an excellent piece on Winehouse & addiction:

• katdish July 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Excellent article. Thanks, Karen.

5. Jason Stasyszen July 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Death is just wrong no matter how you slice it. I know that’s why it’s called our enemy in scripture. We had the elderly parent of someone in our congregation die yesterday too. It’s all heartbreaking.

6. jake July 26, 2011 at 7:54 am #

I’m not a fan of the music, but she was incredibly talented. Everything about this made me sad. I’m 27 and I feel like there’s so much to do, so with that huge amount of talent, I bet she could have felt the same… Such a tragedy.

7. yaniv August 11, 2011 at 7:03 am #

we lost a graet artist Amy Winehouse may god bless her soul