Words with friends: An Idiot’s Guide, Part 4 (More words that shouldn’t be)

In Words with friends: An Idiot’s Guide Parts One, Two and Three, I have thus far written what is arguably the most educational and compelling series about Words with Friends on the interwebs. (Feel free to argue with me on that point. I have a tween and a teenager. Arguing is their love language, so I’m used to it.)

In the short time I’ve been playing this game, I’ve gone from mostly horrible to slightly less horrible, surprising many of my opponents:

I’ve also reconnected with some good friends who I don’t talk to as much anymore:

Much of my education has been learning new words. Words that shouldn’t be words in my opinion. I also don’t understand why one form of a word is allowable, while its other forms are not. (See “STANK”: acceptable, and “STANKY”: not acceptable; “NOHOW”: acceptable, “NOWAY”: not acceptable.

The inconsistencies and questionable words continue:

"FATBIRD"?

One can only speculate as to the origin of the word.

And, of course, the disgusting medical terms continue to provide Candy Steele with big scores:

But the question still remains. Who decides which words are acceptable and which ones are not? For those of you who have lain awake at night struggling with this conundrum, I think MsDane and I may have stumbled across the answer to this burning question:

Katdish.net: Solving the mysteries of life and the universe, so you don’t have to. Sorry/you’re welcome.

« « Previous Post: Wild Kingdom, Part 2: Dear Carrot | Next Post: The proper care and feeding of elephants, Part 6 » »

15 Responses to “Words with friends: An Idiot’s Guide, Part 4 (More words that shouldn’t be)”

1. Jason July 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

My goal is to never appear in a WWF post you write.

• katdish July 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Is that why you won’t talk to me on WWF? Snort!

• Jason July 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Actually, I don’t know how to use the chat. πŸ™‚

2. Amy K. Sorrells July 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

You had me at “ishit” and “Doogie Houser!” I bet me and Candy Steele can tell you about many a doc who coulda been on the development team for this game! LOLOLOLOL!!!

3. Marni July 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

I hoped playing me made you feel more confident in your game skills. You’re welcome.

And I’m still irritated iForks isn’t a word. And that Doogie can’t make it so.

• Helen July 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

“Msdane” was you? That explains why the voice in my head read your words in the cutest little southern dialect!

• Marni July 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

Yup, I’m Msdane. But I don’t make Dane refer to himself as MrMarni πŸ˜‰ And you are so sweet Helen, but YOU are the one with the cute accent!

4. Laurie LMO_97 July 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

You’re my favorite opponent because you have a sense of humor. Plus, now that you’ve gotten so darn good, you’re actual competition.

Some take the game way too seriously, and others don’t play for days and days.

Thanks for another hilarious blog! πŸ™‚

5. Simply Darlene July 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

That dude in the top photo is sporting some rather thick old-man hair. What’s he selling? And are you buying it?

6. Duane Scott July 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Fatbird.

What the heck does it REALLY mean?

Scratch that.

I don’t care.

Your definition made my day. πŸ™‚

7. Candy July 8, 2011 at 1:14 am #

As delighted as I am that medical terminology pops off the screen at me, I’m furious that rectoretinitis isn’t allowed. Someone ought to tell those WWF suits that Katdishionary terms are real words.

8. jasonS July 8, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Well, I think “Solving the mysteries of life and the universe, so you don’t have to” definitely needs to be your new slogan. This post is great. Thanks Kat.

9. Louise July 9, 2011 at 8:23 am #

I agree with Jason — cause seriously — it hurts my head to figure this stuff out.

And I sooooo appreciate the laughter you create when you do!

10. Shahar August 6, 2011 at 5:50 am #

Great post !! Love it !!

1. Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 5: Know your opponent | Katdish.net - August 14, 2012

[…] Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 4: More words that shouldn’t be […]