Being enough

It’s Thursday, late afternoon. I’m walking down the beach looking for shells and watching the waves roll in. Tomorrow will be the last full day here at the beach. I’m not ready to go home. I’m never ready to go home when I’m at the beach.

It’s been a fairly lazy week. Oh, we’ve been to Waterville and The Track, eaten at The Original Oyster House and Lulu’s. I imagine we’ll go to Flora-Bama for some fried oysters and shrimp before we leave because my friend Amy Sorrells said I needed to go, and y’all know I always do as I’m told if it suits me.

But truth be told, it would be enough for me just to walk on the beach every day. To dig in the sand and wade in the water. The crab catching, castle building, dolphin and stingray sightings are like extra gifts–unexpected and much appreciated.

I’ve often wondered if living at the beach would take away its hold on me. If knowing I wouldn’t have to leave would make me less inclined to appreciate it. I’ve said before I feel closest to God where the earth meets the vastness of the ocean. Here there is so much of Him and so much less of me. And while I know this is the case wherever I am, knowing it and knowing it aren’t necessarily one and the same.

I am never enough and God is always enough.

But here at the beach, there is peace in knowing that with Him, I am more than enough.

Now, if I could just find a way to bring that knowing home with me.

« « Previous Post: Déjà vu all over again | Next Post: Hidden treasure in plain sight » »

12 Responses to “Being enough”

1. Jake August 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

I’m hoping for this when I go on vacation. I keep imagining the time spent with Jesus, on the beach and on my laptop. Excited. Have fun and let me know if you find a way to bring it all back like you want!

2. mari mayborn August 12, 2011 at 12:25 am #

I love being anywhere the sea meets sand or rocks. Your post reminded me of a night near Santa Cruz, CA where the tide was crashing against jagged rocks. The swirling dark ocean, its vastness and the thunder of the waves pounding the coastline–I could have sat there forever, so in awe of God.

3. Wendy August 12, 2011 at 6:30 am #

The beach does that for me too. Glad you were blessed with that richness of time!
    ~ Wendy

4. Simply Darlene August 12, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Why do you think that’s the case?

The first time I saw the ocean I was in college and in my twenties. I ran right into the surf and squealed in delight. My friend’s uncle caught the moment with a camera and I love to relive my reaction whenever I look at the image. Since then, I’ve met the Lord and for a dozen years we lived an hour from the beach and made up for all those years I went without the sea.

For me, being where the surf meets the sand also brings that surreal closeness to God. I think because when I look out across the span of the water, I see only what He has made. Man isn’t part of the equation. It’s just God. And me.

Happy vacation trails to you, miss Kathy.

5. Chris August 12, 2011 at 10:25 am #

The beach makes me feel exactly the same, especially very early in the morning.

6. Megan Willome August 12, 2011 at 11:33 am #

So beautiful, Kathy. Only for me, it’s the mountains.

7. floyd August 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

How I appreciate the yearning heart… You’ve colored the vivid picture of holding onto the moment when God pours His spirit and gift of Him out on us. It’s so captivating that we desire and call for it, and sometimes while back in the rat race of life He seems far away.

I think maybe God will grant you some of His spirit to take home with you and share with us over the next few months. It might not seem as magical to you, but it will be to the rest of us. Isn’t that how God works sometimes?

I really relate to this one. Profound job.

8. Amy Sorrells August 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Best. Post. Ever. Hugs @ huge blessings on your precious trip. BTW, I think you hit all the best spots. xoxoxo

9. Louise August 13, 2011 at 8:52 am #

The softening of your heart is beautiful to behold — and I believe it is being at that place of land meets sea that softens our hearts — always.

I have that same feeling — how do I bring this centeredness, knowingness back with me? How do I wrap myself in it like the mist wrapping the morning by the water?

Beautiful post — really beautiful.

10. Lynn Mosher August 15, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Oh, to be near that vast beauty of sea and sand. I get that same drawing near to God there as you do. I haven’t been to the sea of sighing in years and I miss it! Beautiful post! {{sigh}}

1. Twitted by amykiane - August 12, 2011