Little red boat

A little red boat sat alone at the shore.

Each morning I looked for her captain to no avail.

On the third day, I decided it was meant to be set afloat by a captain yet to be determined.

And that captain was me.

Just a short trip around the bay I tell myself. No one will even know I’m gone.

That was before the storms rolled in…

The winds and the waves tossed the little boat for what seemed like hours.

When the storm passed and the seas calmed I found myself on the shores of Key West, where I shared a Cheeseburger in Paradise with Jimmy Buffett.

He asked me to stay for the band’s next set, but the day was waining and I knew I had to get the boat back.

So back in the little red boat I climbed and back to Gulf Shores I paddled. There were sharks and pirates and other perils on my trip back, but I survived and I prevailed.

My adventure took a grand total of 30 minutes

And my feet never left the sand.

Sometimes grand adventures are just a daydream away.

« « Previous Post: Hidden treasure in plain sight | Next Post: Life’s a beach and then you die » »

15 Responses to “Little red boat”

1. James Williams August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

In that last picture, next to your feet, is a bathing suit. I am going to embellish your story by claiming that picture as proof that you went skinny-dipping. Not sure yet if it was before or after Jimmy Buffet arrived.;)

• katdish August 16, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Ha! Where did you find that? Never heard that song.

• Simply Darlene August 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

I had never heard it until last night when I was actually looking for this song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50b-Q-Z1bF0 ), but instead I found that other one. When one googles by moonlight, strange things happen!

• katdish August 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Snort! You have an interesting taste in music my friend.

2. Bradley J. Moore August 16, 2011 at 5:21 am #

Hey, KD. Welcome back (from the beach and from your daydream). 30 minutes of drifting off, whether figuratively or literally, is probably the most restorative 30 minutes of the day.

That little red boat on the beach would have inspired me, too.

3. Louise August 16, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Must have been after Jimmy Buffett — he would inspire anyone into taking a ‘freedom dip’!

Fabulous trip you took!

(you always make me smile – even when my jaw hurts!)

4. Maureen August 16, 2011 at 7:47 am #

No, James… that’s the lifejacket!

Fun post, Kathy.

5. katdish August 16, 2011 at 9:27 am #

It’s not a lifejacket or a bathing suit. At least in my story.

6. OpinionsToGo August 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Loved the story…just as colorful as the little red boat!

7. floyd August 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I was feeling pretty good about myself having stolen a sailboat for my own personal test run as a kid. I didn’t feel as good when I realized it was just a daydream. But, I think Jesus said something about if you think it, it’s as bad as actually doing it. So yeah, your kinda in the same boat as me. (A small amount of pun intended).

The imagination is the beginning of magic. You’re on a roll.

8. Amy Sorrells August 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

AWESOME. I think I’ll go on a little trip myself now. Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

9. Amy Nabors August 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

Loved this post. We can go anywhere if we only let our minds take us there.

10. Helen August 17, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Jimmy Buffet, hey? I usually say hi to him when I visit Margaritaville. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

11. jake August 18, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Daydreaming is the best! I’ve been doing it all week. You might say that I’ve already checked out…it’s a little sad but what can one do?