Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Thank you, entitlement generation

There are children who suffer horrible abuse and neglect at the hands of the people who are supposed to love and protect them: their moms and dads.

There are also children who bear emotional scars from parents who were doing the best they could for their kids. Parents who were simply ill-equipped to raise their children into emotionally healthy adults.

There are days when I think I’m the worst mother in the world because I’ve allowed my own foul mood to spill onto my kids and overreact to some minor infraction. I wonder if there’s any parent who hasn’t felt this way.

As adults, how many of us have questioned to what extent how our parents treated us as children has impacted who we are today? Both positively and negatively? If everyone had a wonderful childhood, we would put the practice of psychiatry out of business. Mostly likely the alcohol and illegal drug trade as well.

But what if you could SUE the offending parent? Certainly would help with those therapy sessions and bar tabs, no?

That’s what this enterprising brother and sister duo attempted to do:

20 year old Kathryn Miner and her 23 year old brother, Steven Miner

According to a story from ABC News, the adult children of 55 year old Kimberly Garrity were attempting to sue her for being a lousy mom. “The children sought $50,000 for emotional distress stemming from the damage of her supposed bad mothering.” The news report goes on to say:

The case was originally tossed by a Cook County circuit court, but the kids appealed. Last week, an Illinois appellate court also dismissed it.

Raised in a $1.5 million home by their father, the children alleged the Garrity was a lousy mom because she failed to send money for birthdays, called her daughter home early from homecoming, and threatened to call the police on her son, then 7, if he didn’t buckle up in the car.

Steven also accused his mother of once smacking him on the head, saying that he still suffers from headaches. One of the exhibits in the case included a birthday card that Steven called “inappropriate” because it failed to include cash or a check.

The card did include the inscription, “Son I got you this Birthday card because it’s just like you ? different from all the rest!” On the inside Garrity wrote, “Have a great day! Love & Hugs, Mom xoxoxo,” according to court documents cited by the Chicago Tribune.

Oh, where do I begin?

Two bratty children raised by their father in a million dollar home, mad at their mother because she didn’t shower them with the lavish gifts their father did and actually had the audacity to tell them no. And frankly, Garrity didn’t smack that kid in the head hard enough if she was trying to smack some sense into him.

Incidentally, the kids’ lawyer? Yeah…their dad. Kimberly Garrity’s ex-husband.

Miner did not respond to messages left by ABC news, but said in court papers that he filed the lawsuit after much legal research and had tried to dissuade his children from bringing the case.

Why would their father agree to take on their case (presumably pro-bono, because I’m guessing neither one of these kids have worked an honest day in their lives in order to pay for a lawyer) knowing from the start that it was a case they would most likely lose?

Here’s what Garrity’s attorney had to say (source Bossip.com):

In court papers, Garrity’s attorney Shelley Smith said the “litany of childish complaints and ingratitude” in the lawsuit is nothing more than an attempt by Garrity’s ex-husband to “seek the ultimate revenge” of having her children accuse her of “being an inadequate mother.”

“It would be laughable that these children of privilege would sue their mother for emotional distress, if the consequences were not so deadly serious” for Garrity, Smith wrote. “There is no insurance for this claim, so (Garrity) must pay her legal fees, while (the children) have their father for free.”

I guess it’s true what they say. The spoiled, rotten sense of entitlement fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.

This is a ridiculously extreme case of the entitlement generation run amok, but it permeates American society on so many levels.

But that’s an entirely different rant. Maybe next time…

« « Previous Post: Support for our support | Next Post: Parched and weary » »

16 Responses to “Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Thank you, entitlement generation”

1. Simply Darlene August 31, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

An enterprising and intelligent judge would sentence the two spoiled thugs to minimum wage jobs until they earned $50k, which would then be donated to the local foster care system. (that’s partly why I dropped outta law school… my idea of justice just doesn’t fly well)

2. Amy Sorrells August 31, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

No pardon needed. Awesome rant. Disgusting times.

3. Louise August 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Oh my. This entire saga is incredibly tragic and depressing.

Ugh.

4. Jason August 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Home run rant, Kat.

5. Heather Sunseri September 1, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Ditto to what Amy said. WOW.

6. bman (The Underfold) September 1, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Wow. Yeah.

This morning, I heard a story on NPR about the economy and how it was so bad for everyone, like this one guy who couldn’t replace his 2007 Cadillac this year (like he normally does every 4 years) and has had to take shorter vacations with hotels with fewer stars…

Good grief.

7. James Williams September 1, 2011 at 7:50 am #

There are so many things wrong with this story I cannot count them all.

8. Helen September 1, 2011 at 8:35 am #

What these kids don’t realize yet is that their father is the one who has done a real disservice to them. If you look at the online story at the Chicago Tribune, all of the comments are in favor of the mother (so it’s not like this blog has a skewed position, or there is any sympathy for the other side). The kids are mad at their mother for setting limits, but now, because their father made it EASY for them to do something publicly stupid, they have embarrassed themselves. Who on earth would want anything to do with them now? Would you date someone who sued their mother for not giving a large enough present? Would you hire them? I’d be afraid to eat lunch in the same room with them!

9. Laurie September 1, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Rant away! It’s rare that I am left speechless. But here I am…unable to find harsh enough words to express my thoughts. I totally agree with you!

10. OpinionsToGo September 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Just when you think you’ve heard everything…along comes this
    ridiculous story!…Now, I’ve heard everything!

• junkbox October 24, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

10 I Think I’ve heard everything
      20 Now I’ve heard everything
      30 GOTO 10

11. karenzach September 2, 2011 at 1:20 am #

And this case warrants headline news while all over this country children who are being violently abused goes without report because, well, nobody wants to get involved

12. floyd September 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

I hope the mom has the ways and means to counter sue for a frivolous law suit. The only way to win that fight is at their own game. Funny how monsters turn into pollywogs when someone stands up to them.

Absolutely disgusting…

13. jake September 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Comparing this to your favorite book, The Giving Tree… the plant told the brat no, so he came back and went all Texas Chainsaw Massacre on it… but fortunately failed. I don’t understand how anyone thinks they could sue a parent, even with the most grievous of upbringings, this is too much…

14. dave December 31, 2012 at 10:08 am #

These spoiled brats are going to be taking care of us.