Support for our support

We all need constants.

Something or someone we can go to when the world or our circumstances overwhelm us. Many of us turn to God and cry out to him, even though I suspect many of us don’t do this as often as we should.

Sometimes it’s not so much that we’re overwhelmed, but that we feel ourselves heading down that path. It’s been said that music soothes the savage beast, and for some, music soothes the savage beast within and gives comfort.

Maybe for you it’s not music. Perhaps it’s going for a run, taking a walk, meditating or hitting a punching bag. It need not be physical. I know if I don’t escape at least a few minutes a day in a good book I feel completely out of sorts. Same goes with writing.

Most of us have at least one thing we turn to which makes us feel more in balance and offers us some solace.

For my son, it’s the swing set in the back yard.

It may seem a little odd that a fourteen year old boy would still gravitate to a swing, but, as he tells me, “It’s my only therapy.” Between school, friends, homework, band, private horn lessons and now football, things have already begun to get hectic. He needs a few minutes each day on that swing–just him and his headphones–with the rest of the world far away.

His daily therapy sessions came to a halt last week when his dad happened to notice that the swing set had suffered more wear and tear than we realized.

It’s a wonder the whole thing hadn’t come crashing down already. The bolts had almost completely worked themselves out of the structure on one side and it was leaning precariously.

I suppose we could have sat him down and explained that the swing set had seen its better days. That it was time to move on and put aside childhood things.

But like I said before, we all need our constants.

Which is why my husband, who has a firm understanding of structural principles that are way beyond my understanding, took the time to design a support system which would allow our son to continue using the swing. It’s also why we spent a good portion of our weekend in the ungodly heat of this Houston summer (he way more than me–I was just a helper) making sure that at least one constant would remain…well, constant.

And a good reminder that our constants–those that support us and build us up–sometimes need us to return the favor. Be they animal, vegetable or mineral.

« « Previous Post: Glory days | Next Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Thank you, entitlement generation » »

11 Responses to “Support for our support”

1. OpinionsToGo August 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

So sweet…so loving! How great that you pay attention to your son and his feelings and his needs! Your husband and you are
    perfect teammates!

2. Jason August 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

That’s so awesome.

3. jake August 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

It’s entirely true. In the past, my constants were people. Needless to say, that always had some sort of cataclysmic ending, but it’s what I knew. I’m definitely getting away from that, but it’s not necessarily easy, trying to change your defaults around like that.

I’m a “big brother” of sorts. The kiddo starts junior high tomorrow, I wanted to talk with him tonight about how things will seem incredibly different, but I was WAY to sick to end up doing that. I will next week…I guess better late than never, right?

4. Candy August 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

I’m with you – I can still spend hours in a swing. I often stop at the city park on my way home from the bike trail. I love the breeze on my face as it washes away the day. I wonder if the people at the park think I’m just a crazy old lady? Not that I care….

Kudos to your husband for the reinforcements of not only the swing, but the heart. Now which boards did you REALLY help with? That’s what I thought.

5. seekingpastor August 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

My constant are the small handful of books that I read almost every year. I know I can turn to them and be touched.

6. Louise August 30, 2011 at 7:44 am #

YOur husband is very wise and caring and your son is wise too! they must be taking lessons from you! 🙂

A very touching gesture, btw.

7. Helen August 30, 2011 at 7:45 am #

I’m glad you found a way for your son to keep his swing. You and your husband are great parents.

8. Maureen August 30, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Wonderful, touching post, Kathy.

9. Simply Darlene August 30, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Hey, and he didn’t even use duct tape to do it! Those engineers are an impressive lot, aye? (course i’m married to one too so i may be a bit biased)

10. floyd August 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

I don’t know when the last time you’ve been on a swing, it’s been a few years for me. When I used to take my little one to the park, there is nothing like the feeling of flying through the air with little to support you and your body’s motion to propel it.
    Sure I’m a bit immature, but I’ll bet most of us could use a little more time on a swing set.

I like your son’s attitude, a young man that age, standing by what he wants, as opposed to what the rest of the world deems as cool, is the most encouraging sign.

11. David Rupert August 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

May your son never tire of the swing….and may he always have the support he needs