Myth Busters: Home Edition

Social media is not for everyone. John Mayer left Twitter after very publicly declaring in a USA Today interview:

“It occurred to me that since the invocation of Twitter, nobody who has participated in it has created any lasting art. And yes! Yours truly is included in that roundup as well.”

He goes on to say:

“Those who decide to remain offline will make better work than those online. Why? Because great ideas have to gather. They have to pass the test of withstanding thirteen different moods, four different months and sixty different edits. Anything less is day trading. You can either get a bunch of mentions now or change someone’s life next year.”

What Mayer fails to mention in this interview is that it was his own narcissistic need for constant attention via Twitter and lack of self-discipline to simply disconnect from the virtual world that most likely caused his work to suffer. Also, he’s sort of a tool. A very talented one, but a tool none the less.

I disagree with Mayer’s assertion that nobody who has participated in Twitter has created lasting art. Not only do I think one can still create lasting art and participate in social media, I would also say that oftentimes art begets art on the twitter. Why, just this week an idea for a book came to me whilst I was gazing at my tweetdeck:

And while the idea for this book of myths was still fresh in my head, I began sharing some household misconceptions with the twitter:

Then a great thing happened. Others started joining in with their own myths:

Note: That should read The food pantry is filled during the night by the food fairie.

So there you have it. The birth of what promises to be a best selling coffee table book. Lasting art created and contributed to right on the twitter.

Since I know many publishers, agents and PR people follow me on the twitter (many of them secretly), this is an open invitation to make me an offer for representation or multiple book deal via Direct Message. I will consider any and all offers, but don’t insult me by low balling. It should also be noted that while the Household Myth book is completely up for grabs, I have promised my upcoming Young Adult Amish Vampire Romance Novel to Rachelle Gardner, and I would hate to disappoint her unless it was for an obscene amount of money.

Your turn, friends. Have any household myths to share?

« « Previous Post: Marni and the Skymall | Next Post: Why I’m reading your blog (or not) » »

14 Responses to “Myth Busters: Home Edition”

1. Maureen September 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

The dog never forgets to carry a bag.

The dog always picks up after itself on every walk. (This one works for adults and kids. It seems to have more effect than those signs with dog images and a big line drawn through them.)

The car can make its own way to the filling station and never needs to say, “Charge It!” (Teens on Board).

“I want that” and “I need that” mean the same thing.

You could expand your series to so many areas. For example, there’s a myth widespread in grocery stores that talking on the cell phone while scanning groceries at the checkout is a great way to build customer loyalty.

2. Jim H September 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

That is pure gold! I’m volunteering to organize your first book tour!

3. Ed Blonski September 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Thank you for the mention on your blog!

I really appreciate it!

4. Helen September 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

Just as funny the second time around! 🙂

5. floyd September 28, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Myth: He’s not as dumb as he looks…

It really hurt to be completely honest…

I’m not convinced you shouldn’t have been a lawyer!
    It appears that you could very well be one of those type of people that could sell ice to Eskimo’s…

Sold!

6. Louise September 28, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

Myth: Mothers live vicariously through their adult children.

Myth: Lightbulbs will decide to turn themselves off if left long enough — okay, that one is kind of true because they will burn out eventually.

Myth: Coke is a breakfast drink.

And, in the case of the kitty litter cleaning itself — it is true if you have a pooch named Ellie who loves to clean it by eating it. Ugh.

7. Janet Oberholtzer September 29, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Love it!

Both the book idea and your disagreement with the idea “that nobody who has participated in Twitter has created lasting art.”

Myth: The laundry room is where you throw dirty clothes, while your hamper is an empty container that should never be filled.

8. Wendy September 29, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Wait just a minute here! You mean that box really ISN’T going to refill with ice cream sandwiches? Why must you dash my hopes and dreams?

9. Shawn Smucker September 29, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I kind of needed to read this today. I was on Annie Dillard’s website last night and her anti-social message made me start to wonder if all uber-successful writers scorn not only social media but social interaction of any kind. You’ve brought me back to reality 🙂

10. Beki - TheRustedChain September 29, 2011 at 8:59 am #

These are fab! I missed them on twitter the other day. Love it though!

11. Jason Wert September 29, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Seriously…this is an e-book waiting to happen. Write it up and put it on Amazon for $1.99 and you’ll make a ton.

12. Leann September 29, 2011 at 11:17 am #

I hope you do publish this so I can buy it and be prepared for when the Toddzilla gets to be a little older.

13. seekingpastor September 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

It is okay to discard toenail clippings on the floor. Everyone else in the house enjoys stepping on them.

14. jake October 7, 2011 at 8:03 am #

I’d buy that. Have you seen the crap Barnes and Noble has in their humor section? gag.