Raising Hope

I don’t know about you, but I rarely stumble across a television show. I’ll typically watch a show because someone I know recommended it or I see a preview that intrigues me. And honestly, there just hasn’t been much on TV lately that I’ve been excited about. There are only a handful of shows I watch faithfully and more than a few which looked promising but proved disappointing.

Along with a few of my favorites, I’m looking forward to this TV season, there are some new shows I’m hoping will live up to their hype. One of those shows aired Tuesday night on Fox: The New Girl.

Zooey Deschanel (right) pictured with her sister Emily Deschanel, star of one of my favorites shows, Bones

It was quirky and cute, much like its star Zooey Deschanel. The jury is still out on whether the characters and storyline will be strong enough to keep me watching, but the pilot was enough for me to give it a chance. When the credits began to roll, I almost turned off the TV. But then another show came on called Raising Hope. I’d heard of the show, but had no idea what the premise was. The only reason I kept watching it was because I thought for a minute that the main character was the same actor who played Mr. Tummus from The Chronicles of Narnia. It’s not, by the way.

It’s probably a good thing I didn’t know the premise, because it sounds like some horrible reality show:

Jimmy is a twenty-something slacker who lives with his slacker parents. The owner of the house is his great-grandmother, a crazy old lady who is the habit of walking outside without a shirt on. He has a one night stand with a woman who jumps into his van while running away from a man presumably wanting to cause her harm. As it turns out, said woman is a serial killer who is tried, convicted and sent to death row. Eight months later, Jimmy visits her in jail to discover she is pregnant with his child. Do you see where this is going? Here’s the trailer from the first season:

And while I do think the trailer is funny, I don’t know that I would watch the show based on seeing it because it depicts so many undesirable (albeit amusing) attributes of everyone on the show. Frankly, I’ve grown a bit weary of the quick laugh at someone else’s expense, even if it is a sit-com. What the trailer doesn’t show you is how smartly it’s written. Yes, Jimmy is a slacker and his parents are sponging off his crazy great-grandmother, but there is a depth to the characters–especially Jimmy–that caught me completely off guard. I was so impressed with the season premiere Tuesday night that I watched several episodes of the first season Wednesday. Love this show.

Raising Hope is cleverly disguised as a comedy about a family of low class, uneducated slackers, and I suppose to a certain extent that’s what it is. But it’s also a show about the importance of a loving and supporting family, no matter how dysfunctional they happen to be. If there’s such a thing as a perfect family, I don’t know of any. But that’s okay. Perfection is highly overrated and often boring.

What new shows will you be checking out this fall?

What old favorites are you looking forward to?

« « Previous Post: In defense of a fellow Texan | Next Post: Taking yourself seriously by Matt Appling » »

28 Responses to “Raising Hope”

1. Ed Blonski September 22, 2011 at 6:29 am #

There are two shows that I watch with my family (wife and three sons – 15-, 12-, and 11-years old).

The Middle – with my wife and I’s favorite, Patricia Heaton.

NCIS. We’ve seen every single episode of NCIS.

Other than that, the young boys watch Phineas and Ferb and I’m With the Band. My wife watches House Hunters regularly. I watch my dvd’s of M*A*S*H nearly every day.

Kind of borning, eh?
    Ed Blonski´s last blog post ..The Perception of Reality

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 7:24 am #

My husband has seen every episode of MASH ever made. Ditto for NCIS. I’d be curious to know what your favorite movies are. Maybe y’all are related.

• Ed Blonski September 22, 2011 at 9:02 am #

There are the main movies (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings).

But my more obscure favorites are:
        Local Hero
        Secondhand Lions
        Joe vs. the Volcano
        Cityslickers
        Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse
        Ed Blonski´s last blog post ..The Perception of Reality

2. Billy Coffey September 22, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Two days until Fringe. Four months until Justified. Little else matters.

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Psych comes on next month! Come on, Billy! Don’t be the giant rack of ribs that tips over Fred Flintstone’s car!

3. Cris Ferreira September 22, 2011 at 8:16 am #

Raising Hope sounds interesting, I’ll check it out as soon as it premieres in Brazil (it usually takes a while).
    My current favorite sitcoms are The Middle and The Big Bang Theory.
    I also watch other shows eventually, like CSI, House, Bones. But I prefer the sitcoms to relax after a day of work.
    Cris Ferreira´s last blog post ..Time for a change

4. Amy Nabors September 22, 2011 at 9:12 am #

I’m most looking forward to Justified, Fringe & Bones returning. I want to check out Person of Interest & A Gifted Man. And of course my old favorites NCIS, NCIS LA, & CSI NY. I’ll have to check out Raising Hope also.
    Amy Nabors´s last blog post ..Autumn Reflection

• Leann September 22, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Oh, yeah. Person of Interest looks good. Jesus (Jim Caviezal [sp?]) is in it! Ha.
      Leann´s last blog post ..Mid-Week Ramblings

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:19 am #

And don’t forget Ben Linus from Lost!

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Person of Interest & a Gifted Man both look good. They’re on the DVR.

5. Leann September 22, 2011 at 9:15 am #

We love Raising Hope! Last year, there was a show that came on right after it on Fox called Traffic Light and we loved it but of course, it only lasted one season. Also, we enjoy The Middle (we usually aren’t fans of ABC shows in general because they suck but this one is a winner), Bones, Fringe, and that’s about it. We watch Pawn Stars and Sons of Guns and that’s out extent of reality television. Oh, and the Sing-Off. That’s it. Not too excited about anything else this season. We love Chuck, but it’s run its course and this is the last season. We’ll probably tune in just because it’s the last one.
    Leann´s last blog post ..Mid-Week Ramblings

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Did you ever watch Scrubs? Does Burt remind you of Janitor just a little?

• Marni September 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

THAT’S who he reminds me of!! That’s been bugging me forever. I feel so much better now.
        Marni´s last blog post ..The Summer of Suck

6. James Williams September 22, 2011 at 9:20 am #

You know that one guy you go to church with you who sticks his nose up in the air and says he doesn’t watch TV since the kids were born? Yeah, that’s me. Sorry. Don’t mean to be that guy.
    I love movies, though, and watch ‘em after the kids go to bed.
    James Williams´s last blog post ..In the Potter’s Hands

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Yeah…you’re THAT guy.

7. Ricky Anderson September 22, 2011 at 9:30 am #

The Office!

Although I’m wary it’s about to go down the drain since Steve Carrell’s departure. Excited to give it a chance, though.
    Ricky Anderson´s last blog post ..The Oddest Things I’ve Ever Been Asked At Work

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:31 am #

James Spader will be an interesting addition. No one plays creepy quite like Spader.

8. Jason Stasyszen September 22, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I love Raising Hope. I actually caught the pilot by chance and I’ve been laughing out loud ever since. Good thing you said this because I don’t think my DVR recorded the premiere. Stupid thing has a mind of its own. I’m excited for Psych to come back even if Billy is indifferent. :)
    Jason Stasyszen´s last blog post ..The Wii and Its Lies

9. seekingpastor September 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm #

I watched Person of Interest tonight. With the premise and the actors involved I think that I am already hooked.
    seekingpastor´s last blog post ..Meeting Jon Acuff

• katdish September 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Ooooo!!!! Watched the debate, but recorded Person of Interest. Can’t wait to watch it. How can you go wrong with Ben Linus and Jesus?

• Ricky Anderson September 23, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Saw that one too. Looked very interesting.
      Ricky Anderson´s last blog post ..Breastfeeding For Hubbies

• katdish September 23, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Holy Cow! Just watched Person of Interest. I’m with you…already hooked.

10. Marni September 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

I love Criminal Minds and was so happy for the season premier. I can’t wait for Glee (go ahead, make your jokes people) and was intrigued on catching CSI with Ted Danson. He did great, so I’ll keep watching. I’m also ready for The Office and 30 Rock. (side note: you must read Tina Fey’s book, Bossypants. It’s hysterical!)

My hubs and I won’t be watching Biggest Loser anymore. It jumped the shark last season with 4 trainers, and now that Jillian isn’t there to make people cry and puke, what’s the point?
    Marni´s last blog post ..The Summer of Suck

11. sara September 26, 2011 at 12:11 am #

Ever since the last episode of Gilmore Girls I haven’t really got stucked on a new show. But Modern Family always make me laugh…:)

12. jake October 7, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Kat, I’m going to be more serious with you than I have been in the past. You have to give Happy Endings a chance. I literally threw a Happy Endings party two weeks ago and made all my friends watch six episodes after dinner. Now we all text quotes to each other.

that is all.
    jake´s last blog post ..Turtle Waist Frog Butt (By Angie)

• katdish October 7, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Happy Endings? Never heard of it. I’ll google it.

• katdish October 7, 2011 at 8:46 am #

Okay, just watched an episode of Happy Endings on Hulu. Hilarious. Thanks, Jake.

1. Raisinghope | Wugez - December 8, 2011