Why I’m reading your blog (or not)

When I first started blogging, I wasn’t much of a writer. Many would argue that I’m still not much of a writer and on some days I would tend to agree with them. But more and more, I’m seeing a trend away from a community of equals sharing the journey. Admittedly, I don’t get around to as many blogs as I used to, I simply don’t have as much time anymore. I hope folks who visit here click on my blog roll page and check out some of the people on there, but in all honestly that’s more for my benefit than anything, because it’s a way for me to keep up with my friends in the blogosphere.

Everyone has different objectives and reasons for blogging. I’m not as driven as others are to build a platform because I’m not trying to sell anything or get anything published. If I had to characterize what I think my role is in blogging and other forms of social media, I would have to say more than anything that I try to be an effective promoter–of good ideas and good people. Lately that’s become more difficult for me because it seems people care less about being authentic and more about being popular. Many writers of high traffic blogs seem to have achieved rock star status. The comments section often reflect a sense of hero worship. But it doesn’t end there. Many bloggers try and emulate what popular blogs are doing, and in doing so lose their own unique voice. When this happens, you’ve lost me because I don’t need another version of someone else. None of us do, really.

The following is an excerpt from a post I wrote in May 2009, but I think it still applies:

Why I’m okay with being Obnoxious:

I figured out a long time ago that I am a very square peg surrounded by round holes. Trying to fit into those holes simply wore me down and slowly chipped away at the person I was meant to be.

That is not to say that I am completely satisfied with every aspect of me. I am always striving to become the person God wants me to be. But God, not someone else’s ideal picture of what a 43 year old wife and mother of two is supposed to be.

That’s why I’m okay with being obnoxious. Some of you might be wondering if “katdish” is some sort of persona that has been created that allows me to say things that I might not otherwise have the guts to say as myself. Let me clear that up for you. This is me: Β warts and all. Those of you who know me in real life can attest to this.

I’m not smart enough to keep up with more than one personality. Besides, I think doing that drains your soul and robs you of a valuable witness to the power of God’s grace – for the sinner and the saint. And for the record, you ain’t no saint! (Please, no theological arguments here, you know what I mean.)

Sometimes I say things that should probably have been left unsaid. But in the non-cyber world, I have my husband and friends who love me enough to tell me to shut up. In the blogosphere, I have a handful of good friends that will do the same. (You know who you are.)

I’m totally okay with someone not liking me. I think caring more about what people think and less about what God thinks is a horrible, wretched way to live. Now here’s a newsflash, if you don’t like me, there’s a pretty good chance I don’t like you either. But that’s okay. God calls us to love one another. He never said anything about like. Just as long as we’re not walking around with giant planks in our eyes, I’m cool with that.

The following statement is intended for those who need to hear it. Clearly, some of you grasped this concept a long time ago. But I offer it anyway:

May I be so bold as to offer some advice? Stop trying so hard to keep up appearances. Accept that you are broken. Even if, like me, you have been smashed with a hammer. God’s light often shines brightest through the broken vessel. I for one, will love you for it.

God? He loves you, regardless. His love was poured out for you at Calvary. He doesn’t need you. But He desires your abiding love with all of His heart.

How cool is that?

Note: One of the main criteria for being on my blog roll is my belief that the writer presents things in a unique way. So if you’re on there, chances are good I’m not talking to you.

« « Previous Post: Myth Busters: Home Edition | Next Post: The Best of Billy Coffey: Writing Naked » »

27 Responses to “Why I’m reading your blog (or not)”

1. Ed Blonski September 30, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Thanks for writing a blog post just for me!

I’m glad God has brought some people into my life that have no problem smacking upside the head when I lose track of what I’m here for.

Thanks again (and no, I’m not being sarcastic – I really mean it!).

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Ha! I wasn’t thinking of your blog when I wrote this. You speak to an audience that needs to be addressed and encouraged.

2. Michelle DeRusha September 30, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Your post title grabbed me on Facebook! And I’m glad I came by, because I appreciate your honesty here, Kathy. And you know what? It’s good for me to hear. Sometimes I fall into the trap of emulating a favorite writer. For a while I was in the Ann Voskamp stage. I think I’ve tried a little Billy Coffey, too. Sometimes I worry, when I read other funnier, sassier, more eloquent, more graceful writing that I am not funny, or sassy, or eloquent or graceful enough. Sooner or later, though, all that pretending and emulating simply gets to be too much work, and I fall back into my own voice again. Which is probably a good thing.

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:28 am #

Of course it’s a good thing, Michelle. It’s a great thing.

3. HisFireFly September 30, 2011 at 10:26 am #

He has given each of us a uniqwue voice — I want to speak in the one He gave me, not imitate another.

Great post Kat – stay who you are!

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:29 am #

And you do that very well, Karin.

4. Maureen September 30, 2011 at 10:30 am #

I read blogs to learn about what I don’t know and share some of what I do. The former is by far the larger category; some days it rewards me many times over. I tend to focus my reading in the arts, where brokenness often finds its greatest expression and manages somehow to reveal the beauty life needs to sustain itself. Given all that He’s created to surprise and delight us and leave us in wonder, I no longer give time to nor have the inclination for “Look at Me!” blogs.

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Maureen, I am always amazed with what I find at your little corner of the blogosphere–beauty through your words and art and prose I don’t know that I’d ever stumble upon on my own. Your blog is like a gateway into worlds I would otherwise never see. Thank you for being a doorway into so many interesting and diverse things.

5. Jason Wert September 30, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I’m honored to be on your blogroll, Kat.

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:38 am #

I’m honored to have you, Jason.

6. Helen September 30, 2011 at 10:40 am #

I just checked, and I apparently still make the cut! Whew and YAY!
    I love you, Katdish. I’ve always loved “tell it like it is” people. Maybe because I know where I stand with them. “Tell it like it is” people can be trusted, because they will tell you to your face what some others will only say behind your back. I love looking at a person and KNOWING they don’t talk behind my back because they’d say it right to my face! πŸ™‚
    Again, love you!

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Thanks, Helen. I love you, too.

7. Lynn Rush September 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Great POST!
    I love blogging. Both writing blogs and reading other blog sites. It’s so fun. You make some really good points here, Katdish! I remember will Billy Coffey shut off his comments section for a week. I loved his motivation for that.

Thanks for this!!

8. Heather Sunseri September 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

There is so much honesty here, Katdish! I absolutely love it! And I totally needed to hear it. I think we all hope we are being authentic on our blogs, and I’ve definitely learned a lot about myself (and others) over the last few years that I’ve been blogging. The best posts come from authenticity, and the best relationships come from being honest with each other. Thanks for the reminders today!

9. SarahBee (@SarahBeeC) September 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

Excellent advice.
    (I will try not to sob in my salad or feel like dogmeat that I am not included in yours πŸ˜‰ ) Still feel like a complete n00b at this and still working out the kinks, so I am a work in progress at best but trying to learn to let loose a bit.

10. Annie K September 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

I didn’t check your blog roll to see if I’m there but I’m pretty confident I would be if I ever got off my lazy arse and blogged. Being that I’m a one of a kind and all. Snort!

• katdish September 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

You are still on my blogroll, but if I had a category for “Friends whose blogs I like to read if they ever blogged” you’d be at the top of the list.

11. Bina September 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

I needed this blog post today…on a day when I am thinking “how come no one loves my blog like their blog?”…on a day when I need to remember that I started writing simply because I wanted to lay out my walk with God, for His glory and not mine, and that is enough for me, yet again.

Hugs!!

12. Steven Sherwood Sr September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

As a rather large blue person imitating a bumble bee once said, “Beeeeeeeee yourself.”

Well said, Kathy. And for the record I like you and love you. I love you out of my love for our Savior. I like your honesty.

Have a blessed day.

Steve

13. Andi September 30, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

I love ths simplicity of your point here. For the past few months, I’ve been reading lots of things on marketing, and honestly, they were screwing with my head. I don’t want to “sell” myself; I want to BE myself.

So my blog has gone back to me being me – with a focus on one aspect of me, writin, sure – but still me. . . Thanks for affirming that choice.

14. floyd September 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

I always appreciate your straight forward style. The last thing the world needs is one more deliberate hypocrite. Nothing worse than hearing a Christian tell a lie to encourage someone, when what we always need is truth first, then encouragement.

15. Louise September 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

I come to read your blog Kathy because of your authentic voice — you are real. You are you.

and you are so refreshing.

Oh, and you include me in your blogroll so I have to come to visit πŸ™‚

Tee hee.

actually, I’d come anyway ’cause I am always excited to see what you’re up to!

16. karenzach October 1, 2011 at 3:44 am #

And this is why I love you…

17. Jake October 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

I love your attitude. I recently had someone unfollow me in the twitter- a person from my community, who I see weekly. At first, I was annoyed, because there didn’t seem to be any problems, but I got over it really quickly. This human used to DM me after I’d tweet and ask if I was talking about him. It always annoyed the
    crap outta me. I don’t have to worry about it any longer. If someone doesn’t like me, why would I expect them to subject tbwmselves to my attitude if they only annoy me back? Let’s part ways and be happy without each other, yes?

18. Sandra Heska King October 4, 2011 at 10:27 am #

I just came back from the writer’s retreat at Laity Lodge. And I was struck all over again about bearing witness in one’s own voice–even as I had to read my own poetry aloud in my class. Talk about scary!

Another thing I’m pondering after being there is the idea that we are a compilation of all the voices who have spoken into our lives. What a beautiful melody we make together.

In a few moments, I’m heading to your blogroll. That will give you time to add me. πŸ˜€

Love you, girlfriend. And I’ve missed getting around to “hear” your voice lately.

• katdish October 4, 2011 at 10:29 am #

You’re already on there, Sandy.