I’ve got my reasons

We’ve started a new sermon and small group series at C3 called “Not a Fan”. Here’s a VERY brief introduction:

It’s all about being a committed follower of Jesus Christ rather than just an enthusiastic admirer. Jesus has millions of fans. Far fewer followers. I’d love to tell you I’m a follower, but I can’t honestly say that, because there are plenty of things I put before God. In Sunday’s sermon, Jeff quoted a line from a song by Nickel Creek called Reasons Why: “Others have excuses, but I have my reasons why.”

That really hit home for me. It’s easy to look at someone else and judge what we think is separating them from truly following Jesus: pride, past hurts, addiction, the Church. Heck, even religion often separates us from Him.

But with other folks, those are all just excuses, aren’t they?

It’s different for me.

Right?

Right???

Where am I today, I wish that I knew
‘Cause looking around there’s no sign of you
I don’t remember one jump or one leap
Just quiet steps away from your lead

I’m holding my heart out but clutching it too
Feeling this sort of a love that we once knew
I’m calling this home when it’s not even close
Playing the role with nerves left exposed

Standing on a darkened stage
Stumbling through the lines
Others have excuses
But I have my reasons why

We get distracted by the dreams of our own
But nobody’s happy while feeling alone
And knowing how hard it hurts when we fall
We lean another ladder against the wrong wall

And climb high to the highest rung
To shake fists at the sky
While others have excuses
I have my reasons why

With so much deception
It’s hard not to wander away
It’s hard not to wander away
It’s hard not to wander away

It’s easy to allow ourselves to believe we cling to reasons rather than excuses. In my case, I often think my biggest fear is that I ever truly give everything over to God, there are certain things that I’ll never get back. In the end, I need to get to a place where I ask God to give me what I need. Not the things I want.

How about you?

Reasons or excuses?

« « Previous Post: The Best of Billy Coffey: How to take a punch | Next Post: Stripping down and getting ugly » »

7 Responses to “I’ve got my reasons”

1. Jason Wert October 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Way too many excuses. I’m tired of making excuses.

2. James Williams October 10, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Wow. Pretty powerful post!

I’m glad you put those lyrics up there, because I never would have understood what that song was about by simply listening.

3. karenzach October 11, 2011 at 12:06 am #

I love Nickel Creek. I love Jesus. Not in the same way. Even so, I don’t know what it means to not make excuses. I live each day trying to make Jesus proud. Somedays I think I do that. All too often, I fail. But I’m living consciously.

4. Ed Blonski October 11, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I was first introduced to City on a Hill (the production company that put out Not a Fan) through their series H2O: A Journey of Faith.

Kyle Idleman is very good. His Facebook Page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kyle-Idleman/208110592542742

• katdish October 11, 2011 at 7:26 am #

I’ve done the H2O series as well. The pastor at our old church is from Southeast and Kyle has spoken there before. I like his ministry very much.

5. Drusilla Mott October 11, 2011 at 7:40 am #

I try to FOLLOW Jesus every day; but invariably every day something wedges its way in the middle of the relationship and I find myself stepping back and allowing it to come first. I try to live with my mind on my Savior, but too often get blindsided by things. There are things I find hard to let go of that are on your list: anger and bitterness at things people do to me, complete control over my life. And don’t these things stem from pride? No matter how hard I tell myself to be humble and love those that have hurt me, pride always steps up and says “You don’t deserve to be treated that way. They have no right.” And so the anger and bitterness stay. I have a tendency to hand things over and then grab them back to deal with myself. So, in all honesty I have to say “Excuses, excuses excuses!”

6. floyd October 12, 2011 at 11:23 am #

I think you just wrote and spoke for all of us. I don’t know anyone not guilty of this at one time or another, especially me. The older I get the more I realize that not being honest, especially with ourselves is the most grotesque of sins.

Probably the best thing to come from my writing is the rules God has set in my heart that governs it. Before I allow myself to write, unless I’m out of town or something, I engage in an in depth Bible study.

It isn’t legalism, it is my discipline. To seek God I think reveals our hearts to ourselves.

I also think your declaration proves the honest desire of your heart as revealed by God. It is that honesty that builds and strengthens His people. Thanks for this today.