Resolve to be bold

This is a repost from November, 2009. But that was a long time ago. And I still like the message as it applies to the blog carnival topic this week: Resolution.

“What has influenced my life more than any single thing has been my stammer. Had I not stammered…I would have probably gone to Cambridge as my brothers did, perhaps have become a don and every now and then published a dreary book about French literature.”

-W. Somerset Maugham (novelist, playwright and short story writer; notable works: Of Human Bondage, The Razor’s Edge, The Letter and Rain)

Much emphasis and broo-ha-ha is given to the pursuit of overcoming personal obstacles; of achieving goals despite one’s shortcomings and/or lot in life. Who doesn’t love a story of someone overcoming the odds and emerging victorious? I know I do.

But sometimes I think these stories – while certainly inspirational and encouraging – may serve as unintentional road blocks to pursuing our dreams, or we think that once we achieve one desired goal the rest of our lives will fall into place.

Fill in the blank:

If only I could _____________ then _____________.

Once I ___________ then I’ll be able to _____________.

Here’s my challenge to you. Don’t use your limitations as excuses for pursuing your dreams. You may just find the very thing you thought was holding you back wasn’t really an issue in the first place.

I’ll leave you with just a few more quotes to ponder:

“When the resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“We cannot put off living until we are ready. The most salient characteristic of life is its coerciveness: it is always urgent, here and now, without any possible postponement. Life is fired at us point blank. – Ortega Y’Gasset

“God always gives us strength enough, and sense enough, for everything He wants us to do.” – John Ruskin

“If you wait around for the world to give you what you think you deserve, you are going to be sadly disappointed when you get it.” – katdish

(Yeah, that’s right. I just quoted myself. Snort!)

****

This post is part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival: Resolution, hosted by the lovely and talented Sir Peter Pollock. For more reads on the topic, please visit him over at his place, PeterPollock.com

« « Previous Post: The Best of Billy Coffey: Fighting the Old Man | Next Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly: Hypocrisy » »

18 Responses to “Resolve to be bold”

1. Jason October 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

I’m glad you reposted this..me likey.

2. Louise October 18, 2011 at 7:19 am #

You should quote yourself more often! You’re brilliant. 🙂

3. Louise October 18, 2011 at 7:51 am #

PS. And I quoted you 🙂

4. Kathleen October 18, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Lifecoach . You should have a pay pal button and charge for this.

• Jenny October 18, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Like.Like.Like. Kathleen’s comment.

5. Jenny October 18, 2011 at 8:44 am #

This.Is.So.AWESOME!

6. barak October 18, 2011 at 10:09 am #

I agree, limitations are bad for you.
    If u have something in your mind, just begin it. its enough to talk to someone who made this dream, and by his words, maybe you will feel that u have to do the same.

7. Mari-Anna Stålnacke (@flowingfaith) October 18, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Great post! Moses came into my mind…an unlikely hero and leader with his stuttering. Let’s indeed resolve to be bold! Thank you! Blessings!

8. floyd October 18, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Good advice. Fear of the world or what can happen cripple the gifts God has planned for us I think. I also think the most important part is to just start. We may end up somewhere else, but isn’t that part of the excitement of life? To fear a world that God already knows the outcome of in all things including our lives, with a proper perspective, seems a little absurd.

I always appreciate the snorts…

9. Lisa notes... October 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

I just tweeted one of those quotes. Love this advice.

A friend told this story to our bible class Sunday: her son wanted her to wade into the ocean with her last weekend, even though there were jellyfish there. The words that got her out there? “Be courageous, Mom!”

Sometimes just hearing someone encourage us to be bold is enough to get us going. So thanks for telling us today!

10. Kelly Sauer October 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

The Emerson quote is wonderful – as if attacking the bully-world can be a delight!

11. Hazel I. Mon October 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

Enjoyed all the good quotes including YOURS.

I have a friend who told me that something could not be done in our small town, so I went out and did it anyway and earned some extra money.

We need to apply this to the spiritual world also, do what the Lords says and no back talk.

12. Larry Hehn October 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Last night I watched an interview with Nick Vujicic, a man born without limbs. His testimony was incredible. He quoted John 9, where Jesus explains that the blind man was born blind “so the power of God could be seen in him.” Our weaknesses need not be obstacles. They can be opportunities for God to be seen in us.

13. Fi October 19, 2011 at 6:02 am #

That is the quote on the header of my blog – I love quotes and this is my ultimate favourite quote. Nice post

14. Glynn October 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

It’s been my experience to learn that my strengths usually have a flip side — my weaknesses. Every limitation contains a germ of srength, and every strength contains a germ of limitation. Overcoming obstacles can feed the perception that our strengths have no complmentary weaknesses.

Good post, Kathy.

15. Bradley J. Moore October 20, 2011 at 5:22 am #

KD, you are an inspiration, you know that?

I like the scripture where apostle Paul says, “You are God’s. The whole world is yours. You have everything you need,” from Corinthians (my bad paraphrase). There is really nothing to keep us from ourselves, except ourselves, I guess.

16. Heather Sunseri October 20, 2011 at 7:57 am #

Very nice, Kat! Really like this.

17. Cris Ferreira October 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Great post, Kat, and I loved the quotes you mentioned. My favorite ones were Ruskin’s and yours 🙂
    In my life I’ve faced different types of obstacles: the ones that were put there by God to make me learn more or appreciate more what was ahead, the ones that were put there by God so I knew that I was going in the wrong direction, and the ones put there by the enemy of our souls to disencourage me.
    We need God to discern between them and know which ones to avoid and which ones to face.