The perfect seasoning

Warning: Metaphors ahead.

If I were to invite you to my home for a meal, chances are pretty good that something you eat would be seasoned with Tony Chacere’s Creole seasoning. Like it says on the container, it’s great on everything.

Well, that’s not exactly true. I’m guessing it’s not very good on ice cream or cereal, but I’ve never tried it on either.

I do know it’s great on burgers, steaks and pretty much everything else we cook on the grill. If it had a pulse at one time, it will more than likely get at least a small shot of Tony Chacere’s at the Richards house.

But just because it may be good on most everything, doesn’t necessarily mean it should be used on everything. It’s a great seasoning for blackening fish, then again, sometimes I don’t want blackened fish. Sometimes I prefer a lemon and dill flavoring on fish and sometimes I want nothing more than some cornmeal and a little salt and pepper.

As with food, I have preferences with how I season my outlook on life circumstances. My go-to is humor. I’d rather laugh than cry, rather smile than frown. But humor isn’t always appropriate in every situation. Nothing is appropriate in every circumstance. There are choices, of course. Always choices, and how we choose to season our outlook on any given situation will have a huge impact on how we view the world.

Let me show you what I mean.

I’m going to give you two descriptions. Each will be followed by a photograph of what I’m describing:

Disenfranchised,
voices of social justice, personal and financial equality,
peaceful protesters,
civil disobedience,
champions of the down-trodden,
freedom fighters,
united front,
standing up against greed and corruption,
power to the people…

image from theatlantic.com, Occupy Wall Street

Spoiled,
entitlement generation junkies,
drunkenness, debauchery,
lost, misdirected,
communists, useful idiots,
lazy, foolish, time wasters,
ridiculous,
looking for meaning in their meaningless, non-contributive lives through the disruption of the lives of others.

image from theatlantic.com, Occupy Wall Street

So which description is accurate? Probably neither completely, as both descriptions are extremely biased and one sided.

Our own experiences and beliefs season our outlook on life and on the lives of others. If we refuse to even consider how others who don’t share our values might see the world, we will more than likely stay in the mess we’re in.

***

This post is part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival: Seasons, hosted by the lovely and talented Peter Pollock. To read more stories about Seasons, please visit Peter at PeterPollock.com

« « Previous Post: The Best of Billy Coffey: Writing Naked | Next Post: Enriching lives thru the Power of Social Media » »

18 Responses to “The perfect seasoning”

1. Glynn October 4, 2011 at 5:27 am #

I was willing to consider what they had to say, until I saw the list of demands. One was “free college tuition.” Another was “spend $1 trillion now to create jobs.” The second caption is the closer fit.

• katdish October 4, 2011 at 9:11 am #

What struck me about this protest is some of the interviews. Many of the ones I saw interviewed could not express why they were there. They knew what they were against, but not what they were for.

2. Louise October 4, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Wonderful analogy — and description.

And accurate too.

Well done.

3. Cris Ferreira October 4, 2011 at 9:24 am #

That’s true, the experiences and the values we have will season how we view everything, and we need to try to understand other people’s views and opinions as well.
    Excellent illustration with the photos and the descriptions, Kat.

4. Mari-Anna Frangen Stalnacke October 4, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Wise words! Well done! Blessings!

5. Sandra Heska King October 4, 2011 at 10:08 am #

That was an eye opener!

6. Lisa notes... October 4, 2011 at 10:36 am #

Good analogy. Our beliefs and experiences definitely do season how we look at the things. Trying to think from the perspective of others is always a good thing.

My husband overdid the seasoning on the grilled fish last night. ;-) If a little is great, a lot would be even better, right? Ha. Not always.

7. Alise October 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Love this. Any time I’m tempted to paint a group with a very broad brush, I need to remind myself that each individual is probably someone who will go home and have dinner with his family. Caricatures are probably best left for fairs.

Also, I love Chachere’s.

8. nance marie October 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

all i can see is that parade is missing a float with people throwing candy, a good drum and bugle corp, and a queen.

you are right, there are truly many things that can season our outlook.

9. floyd October 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Why am I not surprised that of all the “season” stories, yours has to do with taste seasoning and the metaphorical attachment? It was great…

How can others be reached until we have an idea of why they believe the way they do? As Christians, do we judge or love? Excellent point…

10. Maureen October 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Excellent post, Kat!

My son, 23, lives in Brooklyn and just last night he and I were talking about the protesters. He expressed being somewhat mystified about why they’re in the streets but he’s open to letting them be there. (He has a big heart.) I’m similarly inclined to say, let them protest, so long as they are not violent and cause no damage or disruption. Whatever it is that has become the unarticulated motivation (I hadn’t realized they had become organized enough to have a set of demands such as Glynn references), it is nonetheless something, because these protests are spreading to other cities. I wish the protesters well! And more power to them if some kind of meaningful economic change results. Some of us who can look back to the late ’60s might see ourselves in those kids’ faces.

11. Jeanne Damoff October 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

First, let me just say that you had me at Tony Chachere’s. That jaunty green container accompanies me to the dinner table almost every night.

In other news, this is an extremely insightful post. Perspective flavors everything, and you illustrated this truth brilliantly. Thanks.

Love,
    Jeanne

12. Helen October 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

My daddy came here after the Hungarian revolution. He never would tell me the extent of his involvement, only that he crossed over the Austrian border through a wire fence at the end of a grove of grapes on the far side of his village.
    He used to tell me “One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.” His point was similar to your post: perspectives are different for everyone.

13. Jennifer@GDWJ October 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

I think this might be a very effective exercise for some of my journalism students who come into class with biases that show up in some pretty heavy-handed writing.

Also, when can I come over for dinner at your house? And I’m glad there’s no MSG in the seasoning. :)

• katdish October 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

You should have driven down here when you were in Texas. I’m not that far. My husband makes an excellent steak.

14. Hazel Moon October 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I don’t believe we have that brand here, but we do use Mrs Dash a lot. About that photo of the protestors. I wonder why so many follow the crowd instead of standing up for what they personally believe? Most of their demands are silly and with out thought. Probably both descriptions are correct about the swarming mass. Perhaps I lean toward the last one most. Maybe they are going through a difficult season in their lives!

15. jake October 7, 2011 at 7:46 am #

I saw signs that said, “Tax the rich” and “free tuition” as well… immediately I saw the book I’m still fighting to finish (Atlas Shrugged) and thought about all these humans who wanted to mooch of those who had the ability to earn a living. Nobody can CREATE wealth, but that doesn’t mean that nobody has the power to do well, create products or offer services the world wants or needs and do well from it. Isn’t that the American dream? If they want free school, they should go to another country. I put myself through college. I worked my freaking tail off and truthfully, I don’t want someone else to get the same degree I got with half of the work and I’m HOPING that an employer would take me over a human like that if it came down to it. blah… I could rant for a while.

16. Tony C October 13, 2011 at 10:11 am #

Bwhahaha! Love the metaphors!

Sometimes creole seasoning gives me heartburn… :)