A bitter pill to swallow

I don’t talk politics much on this blog, but bear with me, please.

For months and months, we’ve been seeing news stories about the republican hopefuls. Candidates would enjoy brief periods of popularity only to lose momentum and drop out of the race. And while it seems that Mitt Romney is the assumed eventual winner, it also seems that no one is particularly excited about the possible eventuality of a President Romney. Or a re-elected President Obama for that matter. I sense a collective, “Meh…” from the masses.

Against my better judgement, I began my Thursday morning by turning on the news. Top news story: Despite earlier reports that Mitt Romney won the Iowa caucus by a razor thin margin, it turns out that the actual winner was Rick Santorum.

Santorum jumped through every hoop possible to win Iowa. Out-financed by Romney and others, his grass roots campaign included personal appearances in each of Iowa’s 90 counties. He should have been declared the winner. He’s declaring himself the winner. But unfortunately for him, it’s too little too late, and whatever boost this news may have garnered him was quickly eliminated by Rick Perry’s announcement that he will suspend his campaign two days before the South Carolina primary and endorse Newt Gingrinch for president.

This guy can’t catch a break.

With the latest polls showing Santorum dead last in South Carolina (with the exception of Perry, who’s out anyway) and his donations dwindling, I don’t foresee him staying in the race much longer. I could be wrong. It’s been known to happen.

Maybe a victory in Iowa would have changed the momentum of the race.

Maybe tentative donors would have been convinced to give Santorum some cash which would have paid for more ads in South Carolina.

Maybe.

But maybe never happened. Despite his best efforts in Iowa, despite his apparent win which he wasn’t credited for, none of that matters now. Through no fault of his own, the might-have-been tipping point was missed.

Like many Americans, I am still firmly in the “undecided” category. Having said that, I feel bad for Rick Santorum. Really bad.

When we decide we want something–truly, deeply desire something, we cross our t’s and dot our i’s. We do everything within our control to attain what we seek and what we desire.

But the frustrating thing about life is that so much of it is beyond our control.

And it’s so unfair sometimes.

Like what happened to Santorum in Iowa, things just happen and there’s not a damn thing we can do about it.

I suppose the key is recognizing what we can control and what we can’t

To think we have no control over anything is a cop out.

To think we have control over everything is delusional and asshole-ish.

To say God is in control? Okay, yeah. but again, that doesn’t mean we have no responsibility.

How do we know where that line between our control and beyond our control lies?

I guess that’s the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

Or whatever that is adjusted for inflation…

« « Previous Post: The white flag of whatever | Next Post: The problem with ordinary gods » »

9 Responses to “A bitter pill to swallow”

1. Glynn January 20, 2012 at 6:27 am #

You wrote here what I think.

2. kay shostak January 20, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Good blog – heard this week someone say that following a calling doesn’t mean success in the calling, it’s the journey that is important. Can apply to writing and to politics.

3. Deborah January 20, 2012 at 10:01 am #

We Iowans put up a valiant fight I think.
    So tired of it all though.
    Exhausted of it really.
    “Can beat Obama” is not a good reason to elect anyone.
    Wait and see is the best I can come up with.
    (sigh)

4. Helen January 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks for this, Katdish. I can’t call myself undecided, but I may become undecided soon. Any guess as to whom I plan to vote for in the primary?

5. Hazel I. Mon January 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Obama’s TV news owned by him, is broadcasting as much gossip to hit down his likelies.
    Who really knows what is going on in Washington?
    I don’t think it is Romney,and it might just be Newt Gingrinch.

6. Joseph Baran January 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

The line of our control that you speak of, lies at a point where we fulfill our responsibilities, whatever they may be, to the best of our abilities and convictions. Beyond that we can do no more.

7. Jason January 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

I’ve long since given up on the idea that I have any control. God just does what needs done and I go along for the ride. 🙂

As for politics, I haven’t seen a candidate who really represents what I feel enough to support them.

8. Louise G January 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Up here in the frozen north, I watch with wonder and some consternation the gyrations of your electoral process.

Gotta tell ya’… it’s fascinating watching.

9. jake January 21, 2012 at 1:08 am #

“Meh.” It describes America right now. We all feel it, some people are fighting it, but seriously, we’re becoming indifferent because no matter who’s elected, America will collectively hate them before their term is over. No wonder we get made fun of by other nations, we can’t stand behind the leaders we put in office- then again, they’re all such amazing people, right? Meh. I’m praying that Obama isn’t re-elected. I think he’s tried to kill this nation. I don’t like the republican options and don’t want another democrat in office. I can stand behind a lot of what Ron Paul has to say, but his approach to immigration makes me sick… maybe it’s time to become an expat… but then again, I actually love America.

Glad you shared this. I think you hit the nail on the head