Crap at my Parents’ house

My copy of "Crap at my Parents' House" which ironically is being propped up on the counter in front of a giant ceramic chicken.

There are many book affectionados who swear they will never come over to the dark side–reading books electronically.

I’m not one of those people.

It took me roughly an hour and a half after charging up my kindle and reading (and highlighting) my first book on there to determine that instant books via Whispernet was the preferred method of reading for me. Oh, sure…you don’t get that comforting “old book smell” from a kindle or a nook. But I can’t say I’ve ever bought a book because I liked the way it smelled.

I recently finished reading Stephen King’s latest novel, 11/22/63 on my kindle. The print version of that book is around 800 pages. Since I usually fall asleep reading, had I been reading the print version, I could very well be writing this post from a hospital bed whilst recovering from a concussion which occurred when I dropped that thing on my head.

There’s a point in there somewhere…

Oh, yes! Digital versus traditional books. While I prefer MOST books in their digital versions, there are some which don’t translate well. The Art of Looking Sideways for example would be a miserable failure as an e-book. And incidentally, if I dropped that book on my head I’d be dead. But I digress…

One such book (which strangely enough is available on kindle) is one I received for Christmas. A charming little picture book entitled Crap at my Parent’s house. Unless your parents were interior decorators with exquisite taste in decorating, I’m fairly sure you will get at least a few mild guffaws out of some of the items in this book.

The crap in this book is categorized by room. Here’s a small sampling of what you will find:

Crap in the Living Room:

Crap in the Dining Room:

Crap in the Kitchen:

Crap in the Bedroom:

Crap in the Home Office:

Crap in the Bathroom:

Crap in the Basement:

And Crap around the Garage:

Many of you know I’m not a fan of clowns. I felt a certain solidarity with others who shared their disdain for them via pictures and captions. If the following samples don’t convince you that clowns are evil, I just don’t know what’s wrong with you…

And my personal favorite:

In conclusion, I’m giving “Crap at my Parents’ House” my ringing endorsement. It’s not exactly Tolstoy, or even Nicholas Sparks for that matter. But it has certainly given me some much welcome laughter. Fair warning: If you’re easily offended, this book probably isn’t for you. Then again, if you were easily offended, I don’t imagine you’d be reading my blog.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have de-cluttering to do…

UPDATE: There’s a website. I should have known: Crap at My Parents’ House

« « Previous Post: Moving forward | Next Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly: The hard sell » »

23 Responses to “Crap at my Parents’ house”

1. Sherri January 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Looks like the type of book you could easily write…and I mean that as a compliment. Not that your parent’s home is full of crap, but if it was, you could have easily written the hilarious captions.

I wish I would have had this at the house during Christmas with all the fam here–perfectly fitting for our warped humor.

• katdish January 4, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Hey there, stranger! I wouldn’t say my parents’ houses are full of crap, but they have their fair share.

2. Candy January 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

There’s a whole lot of GAAA!!! going on there. Hey, you in need of a talking walleye?

• katdish January 4, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Coming soon to a bookstore near you: Crap at Ron Burgandy’s House

3. Maureen January 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

I’m with you on clowns. I have never ever liked them!

I thought for sure, though, you were going to put up a pic of PCB.

Best wishes for the new year, Kathy!

4. Bina January 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I have never laughed so hard reading a review of a book…and the chuckling started when I was reading about how Stephen King might have killed you in your sleep. Love, love, love…

5. jake January 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

I freaked the hell out on my office today because of clutter. I nearly set a bunch of it on fire in my 1923 cast iron wast basket…. I work at a non-profit, meaning people give us crap and we keep it like we’re living during the depression. Most 501(c)3 orgs do this. It’s why we all smell the same… slightly like old church, somewhat like old person, always like dust, porcelain and decade-old silk plants. 🙁

6. Glynn January 4, 2012 at 5:46 am #

This looks like a second-hand store for Sky Mall.

7. Megan Willome January 4, 2012 at 6:46 am #

I read “11/22/63” on my Kindle, too. So, so good! Please, write a post on it.

• katdish January 4, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Megan,

That book is pretty deep, huh? I think I will write a post about it. Thanks for the idea.

8. Louise G January 4, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I’d write more but I’m laughing too hard and picking up ‘the tacky’ cluttering my bedroom. Honest! I didn’t buy it. They were gifts and I didn’t want to embarrass the giver 🙂

9. karenzach January 4, 2012 at 9:15 am #

Okay. Now I share your aversion to clowns. Thanks a lot.

• katdish January 4, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Sorry/you’re welcome.

10. Wendy January 4, 2012 at 9:29 am #

I didn’t know my daughter knew how to take photographs, let alone publish a book. I’m going to be eyeing her suspiciously from here on out.

11. Jeff January 4, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I agree on the clowns. Those captions were great, though.

Also, I used to have that Hulk Hogan glass. I think it was from McDonald’s. I wish I still did had it.

• katdish January 4, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Ha! My friend Jason had the same glass. Can you imagine McDonald’s giving out glasses now? That would never happen. I had a Fred Flintstone one.

• Jeff January 5, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I think they did some Shrek glasses a couple of years ago, but they recalled them due to their poisonous nature. I was a big collector of the cool Batman cups (much cooler than Batman & Robin, the movie they were promoting). And now, I have a Charlie Brown one that I bought at a rummage sale.

12. Bradley J. Moore January 6, 2012 at 5:21 am #

Hell-arious! As I was reading through the lovely photos and shaking with laughter, I couldn’t help but think of the author’s strange parents. Clown people, surely? My Uncle’s wife is one of those. I bet a lot of that stuff is at her house too.

13. karenzach January 7, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Can you get these ugly clowns off here, or at least update your post? 🙂

14. Helen January 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Dang. If only I thought of it! Maybe “Chotkes in My Basement”?

I go back and forth about electronic books. I think NOT having shelves and shelve of books, but a gigabunch would be great. On the other hand, what if Amazon goes under? Will I still have access to the books I bought?

• katdish January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Once you download them on your kindle, they’re there forever.

• katdish January 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Oh, how many posts have I written about crap I’ve found at discount stores? Pictures included!

1. Confessions of a holiday slacker | Katdish.net - December 10, 2012

[…] in a display worthy of a Crap at my Parent’s House honorable mention is this bathroom […]