Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 5: Know your opponent

Celebrity Words with Friends enthusiast, Alec Baldwin

I know it’s been awhile since I’ve updated this important and compelling blog series, so in case you’ve missed earlier installments, you can find them here: Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide

Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 2

Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 3: Strategery

Words with friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 4: More words that shouldn’t be

(Sorry/You’re welcome).

As the name of the game would suggest, I play with friends. At any given time, I’ve got games going with my husband, both of my sisters, my 14 year old son, a friend or two from church and a plethora of Twitter buddies.

On the rare occasion I’m challenged by a random opponent, I typically play the game and neither of us choose to rematch. Such was the case last week when I was saw a WWF challenger’s name which I did not recognize. This doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t know them. I have a friend named Michael whose WWF name is Juan Pablo George Ringo. Why? Because he likes the Beatles and he’s quirky and disagreeable. And of course, there’s Ricky Bobby, who goes by the name Arthur 2 Sheds on the twitter and 1357 Bob of WWF, but I digress…

Where was I?

Oh, yeah. So, I’m challenged by someone whose name I don’t recognize. The only thing I can surmise with any confidence is that he or she is not a Steeler’s fan. I won’t tell you this person’s WWF handle for reasons which will be readily apparent soon. After I narrowly defeated said opponent, he challenged me to another game. I assumed he was a sports fan, so we chatted about sports during our game. Cuz I’m friendly like that. He asked what football team I liked, I told him I was from Houston and that I rooted for the Texans if and when I watched them and that I rooted for whomever was playing against the Cowboys. Then he says,

At this point in the conversation, he’s already expressed that he hates the Steelers, the Red Sox and Tom Brady, and I’m beginning to wonder about all this pent up aggression towards sports teams displayed by my opponent…and then I begin to understand.

Notice how calm I am? Notice how I steer the conversation away from the fact that I’m playing Words with Friends with a ten year old boy? Ha! I immediately turn to the twitter to share my dismay.

And to make matters worse…

The little ankle biter actually BEAT ME!

So, in conclusion, let this serve as a cautionary tale fellow Words with Friends players. You never know who you’re playing against. Unless you actually DO know who you’re playing against. And that you can count on your long time opponents to be there for moral support:

« « Previous Post: Seeking immortality | Next Post: The McRib Effect » »

16 Responses to “Words with friends: An idiot’s guide, Part 5: Know your opponent”

1. Jamie February 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Love.

2. Wendy February 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

I should really start playing again. I love losing. Especially to 10 year olds.

3. Hazel I. Mon February 7, 2012 at 2:19 am #

This post is really funny! I bet he was pulling your leg!

4. Ricky Anderson February 7, 2012 at 5:39 am #

That was pretty stinkin’ funny. I was in line at a local burger joint when I read that and laughed the whole way through the order.

5. Megan Willome February 7, 2012 at 7:23 am #

I just read this to my husband, who is a huge WWF player. Very funny! He gets so frustrated that only of his many opponents actually uses “strategory” against him.

6. Laurie February 7, 2012 at 9:51 am #

So funny! Glad you blogged about it. I began a game with Mark Hall (lead singer from Casting Crowns). He asked me who I was and I told him. He obliged me with a game and beat me. I didn’t replay and neither did he. But it was my brush with celebrity! ha

7. Peter P February 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

LoL

8. Simply Darlene February 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

i thought were going to say you were playing against the baldwin dude in the top photo…

actually, the only time i have heard about this game is from you. is it anything like twister?

i like twister.

9. Heather Sunseri February 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

Wow. Am I too over-protective that I don’t allow my kids to play games where they would be in a position of having conversations with strangers like that?

So, is it okay that I thought that was funny, b/c it was someone else’s 10-year-old?

• katdish February 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

My 14 year old son is allowed to play WWF with his aunts, his dad, 2 friends from school and me. No, I don’t think you can be too careful.

10. randomlychad February 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Ricardo Montalbobbo routinely ravages me in WWF. I’m not bitter–but I did launch a grassroots campaign to flood his inbox with emails petitioning him join Facebook.

• katdish February 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I was about to be incredibly impressed that you played WWF with Ricardo Montalban. Then I read your comment more closely. And remembered that the star of Fantasy Island is no longer with us.

11. randomlychad February 7, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Well, I have tried to start a game a time or two with Alec Baldwin, but he’s always got too many going to accept the invite (his WWF username is ‘theresalwaysunited’, or at least it was). Wonder how the great 1357Bobberino would fare in that matchup?

12. Candy February 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

I’m with Darlene – I for sure thought you were going to say you played a game with Alec. I admire your humility for saying a 10 year old beat you. Really, you sure he’s not a grumpy old man? Because he is sort of a hater for being only 10. I’ve tried to get a game with Kurt Warner but no luck.

13. Louise G February 8, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Okay. Too funny. You make me laugh and remember why I don’t play WWF — seriously — my ego couldn’t take being beaten by a 5th grader!

Too funny!

1. Shifting priorities | Katdish.net - March 12, 2012

[…] And while I’m always up for a challenge, I’m also not inclined to be bested by a 5th grader, unless it’s in a game of Words with Friends. […]