Mad world

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, people connecting with one another

without ever really physically connecting…

The virtual world can be a wonderful place,

but it doesn’t replace the real one.

When the former begins to replace the latter,

it can become a lonely, mad world…

Enlarge your world

***

This post is part of the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival: Madness, hosted by the lovely and talented Sir Peter Pollock. To read more posts about madness, visit him at PeterPollock.com.

« « Previous Post: Stubborn Love | Next Post: Repost: The mass twitter unfollow » »

10 Responses to “Mad world”

1. Helen March 6, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Interesting. When my mom was alive, and I was her caretaker, the internet was a lifeline to the outside world. Most days I only had contact with my Mom or Bob. Even Church was in and out to get back home so she wouldn’t be alone. Things got better after about a year. My constraints were my own worries for her most of the time, and not so much that she couldn’t be left alone for an hour while I picked up milk. But socially, it was phone calls and internet that kept me connected. That kept me from feeling like a hermit.
    But now that she is gone, I find myself out more, volunteering to do this at Church, or drive someone to the doctor. I don’t blog as much, nor do I read them as often. (When Bob comes home, I like to give most of my attention to him. If he doesn’t want my attention, he wants the sole computer in our house. Snort!) I can see how technology can isolate someone from the physical world if that is the choices they make.
    (I’ve also seen people text someone who is in the same room with them. How annoying!)

2. Alise March 6, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Amen. I don’t ever want to downplay the relationships that I have online, but they cannot (!!!) replace the people that I have to interact with in real life. No matter how genuine the connection, I can shut down Twitter and turn off Facebook and they go away. I can’t avoid people in real life. Well, I mean, I guess I can, but it’s harder and it leaves you FAR more isolated.

3. Simply Darlene March 6, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Well, I feel guilty leaving a comment since this is part of the techno world, but I try to connect beside and outside of the keyboard clack.

(that image speaks volumes)

4. Stephen Haggerty March 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I like they way you put that, wonderfully poetic. So many “connections” that leave you unconnected.

5. Carol March 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

I have learned so much blogging and reading blogs–I have more of a global perspective. But I still need the community of my family and my church.

6. Nicole March 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I’ve been hearing this song from a friend and I really like it’s melody. Virtual world has really making a big part of my life everything.. It’s the easiest and fastest way to connect to all my loved ones in any part of the world. Thanks for sharing this..

7. Hazel Moon March 7, 2012 at 2:40 am #

I usually am a calm person, but I do have a madness that comes over me when I try to leave a comment on someones excellent post. Then I am faced with one of those awful CAPCHA puzzles with the letters waving in all directions and black in the background of some of the letters and blured so hard to read.
    I am almost ready to quit leaving comments, but I hate to do that. Usually I let them know that this is my second or third try. One today erased my long lovely comment when I could not type the letters correctly. Madness is right!

8. Sheila March 7, 2012 at 2:49 am #

I find this blog has a lot of blogging and has a lot of global perspective..I can avoid people in real life..

9. Joanne Norton March 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

It’s so hard for so many to determine what is reality and what is imagination. One of my main ministries is First Responders when we go to murder sites for prayer and to reach out to neighbors and family members. One of our present world challenges? Young people who somehow, after playing on-line games and living in a fictional world, think they can hit, stab, shoot someone and the person will wake up again and life will go on again, not getting through their skulls that “dead is dead.” So many of the killers [and killed] are in their teens and early 20s, so that should be proof of what we’re convinced of re: their thinking. [Have one to go to in a couple hours; must go, but my heart is heavy today.]

Living in our REAL world, dealing with it, Trusting our Lord for the everydayness of it… that’s all we have. TV, video, computer? Not necessarily.

Thanks for sharing.

10. jake March 11, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

I wrote a paper on religion in Second Life. The digital world has churches, pagan forests, Hindu temples and everything in-between. People can connect in these places and do all sorts of things. It’s proved to be a lifeline for people with extreme disabilities, even social ones. I can’t replace the “real” world with the digital one in my own life, but some people actually need this. I’ve never listened to this whole song before… it’s really morose, but… still good. Hmmm.