Stubborn Love

I’m mad at my dog.

I know. Ridiculous, right? Being mad at a dog is akin to engaging in an argument with a screaming two year old at the Walmarts. In retrospect, both are losing propositions which make you feel like an idiot. Some battles you just can’t win, you can only strive to do better next time.

On a typical day, Buddy Love the dog sleeps in until around 7:30 in the morning, which is when it’s time to walk the girl to the bus stop. He looks forward to this routine. He enjoys the short walk with the added bonus of being able to pee and poop in someone else’s yard–to spread the Buddy Love, if you’ll pardon the horrible pun.

This has not been a typical week, nor will things return to normal anytime soon because my daughter has been assigned safety patrol duties for the next 5 weeks. This means that rather than taking the bus to school, I drive her. It also means that Buddy is awaken from his beauty sleep a few minutes early and is plunged into the cold, wet, unforgiving, all-too-familiar grass of the back yard and expected to do his business as I stand there impatiently yelling words of encouragement such as, “Come on, dog! POOP already! I don’t have all morning!”

Thus far this week, this has resulted in Buddy’s refusal to take care of business outside, rushing into the house, through the master bedroom and into the closet. Where he took care of business. This scenario was replayed the following morning, except that I prudently shut the bedroom door so he could not rush to his go-to poop spot. He must have seen me do this before we went outside, because once in the house, he ran toward my son’s room. Where he took care of business just inside the door where I would be sure to see it.

Any of you reading this who are familiar with dachshunds are probably either laughing at me or rolling their eyes. Quite possibly both. Because if you’ve owned a wiener dog, you know a little about their personalities.

From Dog Time: Dachshund Dog Breed Profile:

The Dachshund is described as clever, lively, and courageous to the point of rashness. He’s bred for perseverance, which is another way of saying that he can be stubborn. Dachshunds have a reputation for being entertaining and fearless, but what they want most is to cuddle with their people. For many Dachshund people, this characteristic outweighs having to deal with the breed’s insistence on having his own way.

Buddy Love is essentially the dog version of me.

This pretty much sums up dachshund training.

Why is Buddy Love refusing to take care of business outside in the morning? I’m pretty sure he’s mad at me, too. And he wants me to know that he will not poop on command just because I’m in a hurry. In other words, I’m not the boss of him.

"Walking" Buddy

I’ll spare you the heights of ridiculous stubbornness both of us have engaged in this week, including but not limited to a phone call to my husband at work (who is extremely busy) to gripe about how stubborn and aggravating this little dog is, followed by this incredibly mature text sent to him after spending 30 frustrating minutes outside with the dog:

Despite our ongoing battle of wills this week, from the moment I sat down to write this post until this very moment, Buddy Love is where you will find him most days–snuggled up right next to me, and I am enjoying his company as I always do. Because companionship, loyalty and love cover a multitude of sins.

Editor’s Note: In Buddy’s defense, he never pees in the house. A fact I’m very grateful for.

« « Previous Post: Behind the scenes at katdish.net | Next Post: Mad world » »

11 Responses to “Stubborn Love”

1. Amy Nabors March 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Oh my. Of course with that face how can you stay mad at him for long.

2. Jason March 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

I’m sorry…but I side with Buddy on this one. 😉

• katdish March 2, 2012 at 8:39 am #

You’re dead to me, Jason.

3. Jake March 2, 2012 at 8:42 am #

I refuse to own a dog until I have children that beg for one. I’m less than convinced I need any of those, therefore, I may never own a dog again. I’m to lazy (selfish) to want to take the time to walk it, clean its poop up, brush it, etc. Nope. Not for me.

Have fun with that.

• jake March 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

eeew.. typo. TOO LAZY.

4. floyd March 2, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I got hornswaggled by my kids about eight years ago. Our oldest was at a friends house who’s dog had a litter of Shih tzu’s… Enter; Larry The Loser…

All the promises of, “I promise to take care of him! – I’ll feed and take care of him! – I’ll pick up the dog doo every day”!!! They lied…

My pal Larry I treat like a dog. He sleeps outside, swims in the pool in the summer time when it’s hot. (despite what the books from the school library said about that breed, when discovered by youngest who was doing a book report).

When we’re home, Larry and Lola, (yeah, I’m a sucker), get to come inside and hang out. Larry has to wear a diaper… Larry thinks he owns everything and isn’t shy about showing it. As often as I’ve been mad at him, and he at me for that matter… He’s my pal.

He and I aren’t so different really…

5. Karen Barnett March 2, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Love this! I came here via Amy Sorrells facebook–I was so intrigued by the thumbnail picture of MY dog on the link. And then I laughed my way through, because it not only looks like my dog, it sounds like my dog. And even funnier…I blogged about my dog yesterday, too. (Hear the twilight zone music?) You’ve got to love those dachshunds (or in our case half-dachshund).

6. okiewife March 2, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Our dachshund is 5 yrs. old, inherited from our grandson when he moved to a place that doesn’t allow pets (stupid people.) He moved right in, took over the bed, sofa, and 2 people, and got away with it because of the snuggling thing. Ringo rules this house. Grandson said he could take him back when he finds a house to buy…I said forget it. He stays. Oh, the only time he has pooped in the house was when he was sick. Clever little rascal….

7. Simply Darlene March 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

FYI:

outside it’s called “lawn fudge”

inside it’s called “carpet smudge”

(HE POOPED, I WIN ~ if i owned a t-shirt company, i’d make ya one with that line; course it would be a brown shirt, but that almost goes without saying)

blessings

8. Louise G March 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Laughing.

Ellie the golden retriever is going — look mom. See. I’m not so bad. I only sleep on the couch when you’re not looking and eat anything I can get my jaws on and shed EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Yeah.

Definitely Laughing.

9. Megan Willome March 3, 2012 at 10:06 am #

OK, this is supposed to be a secret until Lent is over, but my resolution is about remembering to pick up the poop of one of my dogs (the other one is rather dainty). They’re both terrier mixes, but the poopy one definitely has some Dachsund in her.