May the fourth be with you

May 4 is called Star Wars Day because of the popularity of a common pun spoken on this day. Since the phrase “May the Force be with you” is a famous quote often spoken in the Star Wars films, fans commonly say “May the fourth be with you”. (source: Wikipedia)

Personally, I’m not a fan. It’s not that I dislike Star Wars, I just never had an affection for the movie series bordering on obsession like so many of my friends seem to have.

And as long as I’m here, I might as well tell you that I never watched any of the Star Trek series or movies with any regularity. The same holds true for Battlestar Galactica or Dr. Who. I share this with you because for some strange reason, people often strike up conversations with me assuming that know as much useless information about sci-fi shows as they do. It’s been this way for as long as I can remember. I can’t explain it except to say that maybe I’m some kind of Nerd Whisperer, but I digress…

As you find your own special ways to celebrate how Star Wars, Star Trek and countless Superhero movies have forever impacted your lives, remember the immortal words of William Shatner, aka Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise:

Anyway, enjoy your day all you sci-fi fans. You’ll never see me at a Comic-Con convention, but I won’t judge you for being there. Much. Oh, I’m kidding. Live long and prosper.

« « Previous Post: Masterpiece in the Mess | Next Post: katdishionary, Part 12 (The Florida edition) » »

7 Responses to “May the fourth be with you”

1. James Williams May 4, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I definitely like more sci-fi than you do, but I totally get what you’re saying. Because I’m an IT guy, I have known a few guys who have fit into the stereotype of the Trekkie as portrayed in the clip above. There’s nothing wrong with liking a movie or TV show, but to wrap your life around it, that’s just sad.

2. James Williams May 4, 2012 at 8:15 am #

By the way, a lot of folks don’t know this, but the phrase “Get a life” originated with that SNL skit.

• katdish May 4, 2012 at 8:20 am #

I did not know that! Gotta live William Shatner, who will always be known to be not as James T. Kirk but lawyer Denny Crane from Boston Legal.

3. Simply Darlene May 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Me too. Yikes. BUT I did see some of one of those movies when my boys were watching it for the umpteenth time. There’s a character JarJarBinx or something. I like him. In the snip-it I saw, he reminded me of me. Except I’m not that tall. And I cannot swim under water like he does. But he’s a funny fella and sorta dorky.

Maybe we could have an anti-fourth/force convention and whack each other with soggy paper towel rolls.

4. Brian Russell (The Underfold) May 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

I grew up watching all of these things. I started BSG and my friends are pushing me into Dr. Who. How much space travel can one man take?! 😛

Who am I kidding, I’ll watch them all.

5. jake May 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars movies, either. Or the Matrix movies. I just don’t get into science fiction like that. I have read some Orson Scott Card, but he’s talented and reading it feels a little less sci-fi, know?