Lost in abundance

My daughter and I cleaned out the refrigerator this week. I know–try not to be jealous of my glamorous life.

When we bought the fridge nine years ago, I was enamoured with its style: the stainless steel double doors, wide adjustable shelves in both doors and center, the freezer at the bottom. It was the latest and greatest thing back then. But it didn’t take long to realize a critical design flaw. The abundance of adjustable center shelves made it almost impossible to see anything on them unless the item was in front. Case in point: When we removed the contents of the fridge to give it a thorough cleaning, I found four jars of hamburger dill slices. Four large jars. Ridiculous.

You’re probably saying to yourself, “That would never happen to me. I know what’s in my refrigerator.” Maybe so. I bow to your organizational skills. For me unfortunately, when it comes to food storage, the old adage of “out of sight out of mind” applies, and those shelves assure that most everything in the center of that fridge is out of sight.

It wasn’t until the interior of the fridge was wiped down, the vegetable, fruit and meat and cheese drawers have been removed, cleaned out and returned to their proper spaces and I was drying off the adjustable shelves to put back that I realized the solution to my fridge frustration could have been put into practice from Day one.

The realization that just because the manufacturer provides four adjustable shelves for the fridge doesn’t mean you have to use all of them.

Imagine this fridge with 2 more shelves--too crowded.

Well, DUH!!!

I felt dumb. I consider myself an creative, think-outside-the-box problem solver. I take the phrase “we’ve never done it that way before” as a personal challenge to rock the status quo.

And yet, I’ve been fretting over two unnecessary shelves for the past NINE YEARS.

What’s worse. Had it not been for my daughter, I would probably still hate my hide and seek refrigerator:

Me: Why don’t we put all the dairy products and juice on the left side of the fridge.

Daughter: Okay. Margarine, sour cream, eggs and cream cheese on the bottom shelf, milk and juice on the one above it.

Me: Don’t put that shelf too high. I still have to put another shelf above it.

Daughter: But Mom, we don’t need another shelf. There’s plenty of space for everything right now.

Yeah, I know. I need to go grocery shopping...

Out of the mouths of babes.

Hopefully, my daughter’s out-of-the-ice-box-thinking will prevent any more further incidents like this one:

What kind of outside-the-box-thinking moments of brilliance have you had lately?

« « Previous Post: Being special | Next Post: Please don’t feed the birds » »

8 Responses to “Lost in abundance”

1. SimplyDarlene June 14, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I think your fridge is looking at me funny. Seems to be glaring.

My outta the box thinking… when ya run out of toothpaste, just use some of the organic, all-natural hand soap on the ole brushola. Yikes. Tastes like when I got caught with a potty mouth as a kid… only more peppermint-y. Basically, I was gagging on the soap and dripping gads of foam on the floor. Neat.

Brush with baking soda next time. Wait, that’s generally in the box.

2. jake June 14, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Outside the box? This will tell you how creative I am right now… I have typed about ten responses to this and have deleted them all. I’m currently fighting the mundane in my life, so perhaps I need to break some barriers and pray to Jesus that they get me somewhere exciting.

• katdish June 15, 2012 at 9:08 am #

In your defense Jake. The reply to my last post was pretty brilliant.

3. Angela June 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Ummm… I never thought of taking some of the shelves out, either. My fridge is a lot like yours, and we have space issues. What a good idea! But then, what do I do with the shelf I take out? Worrying over this will probably keep me from trying out your idea. Nice thought, anyhow.

• katdish June 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Oh, good grief Angela. Put them in a plastic garbage bag and put them in the attic or under your bed. Irregardless of where you put them, at least they’ll be out of the way.

(Did you like how I used the word “irregardless”? Snort!)

• Angela June 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Negative times two.

1. I did NOT like your use of “irregardless,” because it was completely distracting, and it’s almost all I can think about right now. Except my very coherent and logical argument that follows:

2. But if I store the shelf somewhere, I will inevitably forget where it is. Someday, when I get rid of the refrigerator, I will have forgotten that I even removed the shelf. Then years after that, I will find the shelf, and not know what to do with it, since the refrigerator it went to will have been long gone by then, but I won’t want to throw the shelf away because it’s still a perfectly good shelf–especially since it was so neatly stored and not used–and who would throw away a perfectly good shelf? Not me.

• katdish June 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Do you have comments installed on your blog yet? I don’t think you did last time I was there. I’m going to go leave a comment full of misspelled words. Snort!

• Angela June 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm #