Back to school and the sound of silence

As summer draws to an end, millions of school children across America are heading back to school. Many have already returned to classes. My kids start today–the boy starts his freshman year of high school and the girl begins junior high. I’m still wondering when they grew up so fast, but I digress…

The following story set to music never actually happened, and I’m praying that it doesn’t. But based upon past experience, if the tale were to become reality, no one would be less surprised than I.

It is my remake of The Sound of Silence, originally made famous by Simon and Garfunkle. The song remains the same, only the lyrics have changed. Sing along, won’t you?

Hello, bus stop my old friend
I’ve come to walk to you again
Summer’s over no more late sleeping
No more channel changing kids fighting
And the hope that’s been planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In empty house I walk alone
No more chirping, bleeping phones
Time for emails, tying up loose ends
Check the Twitter play some Words with Friends
When my ears hear the shrill of a ringing phone
In my home
And break the sounds of silence

On caller ID I spy
The number of the senior high
Son is calling, he forgot his phone
Asking me to bring it there from home
Son now hearing me say his phone is not my care
And how he dare
Disturb the sounds of silence

“Son,” said I, “I didn’t need
A phone til I was twenty-three
You’re in school that they might teach you
Your facebook friends don’t need to reach you.”
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the sounds of silence

And so the conversation ends
He’s off to class with all his friends
Pour some coffee find my favorite chair
Front porch rocker in warm fresh air
I enjoy my peace til the phone rings shrill and high
Junior High
And breaks the sound of silence…

Oh, well…maybe tomorrow

And, of course, it wouldn’t be a back to school post without my very favorite Staples commercial:

Snort! That never gets old.

« « Previous Post: Words with Friends, An Idiot’s Guide, Part 7: Potty words | Next Post: Help needed » »

8 Responses to “Back to school and the sound of silence”

1. James Williams August 27, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Did you write this? Greatness!

2. SimplyDarlene August 27, 2012 at 9:25 am #

I waited and waited for your voice to croon, but alas, three-quarters of the way through the song, I realized it was a solo flight sorta song. Now I’m gonna have to rewind and start again.

Despite your spurning of poetry, you’re quite gifted with your lyrical prose… the tension of these lines is a fine example:
    “But my words, like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed
    In the sounds of silence”

Happy day of solitude.

• katdish August 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

While I did rewrite MOST of that song, those particular lines were in the original song. Wish I had written them, though.

3. Jason Stasyszen August 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

My office is in our house, so summer was an interesting time to try to get anything done. As of last Thursday, everyone started school, and I was just telling my wife today that last week I would actually stop and get a little distracted by all the silence. Love your song–awesomeness. Thanks Kat.

4. Jeanne Damoff August 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Okay. You are amazing. Of course, you always were amazing, but that song rewrite? Brilliant, my friend. Enjoy the sound of silence. You’ve earned it. xo

5. floyd August 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

That was too great!!! What an imagination, I’m tellin’ ya! You need to send that to Weird Al and you’re on your way! Seriously clever! And you should seriously do a spot on youtube, you sing at church right? Just sayin’!

6. karenzach August 28, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

I agree with Jeanne. That song rewrite is brilliant. You should record it, upload it to YouTube and watch it go viral. I. Am. Not. Kidding. And that Staples commercial? That makes me want to pray for you.

7. jake August 30, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Friend, you’re brilliant. Just so you know. And you make me want to never have kids, but you’re not my only factor in that equation. Mostly kidding. Enjoy your silence. And also? that song used to scare me when I was a kid. I don’t know why.