Trading misery for gratitude

“If you want to be miserable, think about yourself, about what you want, what you like, what respect people ought to pay you and what people think of you.” -Charles Kingsley

I love/hate that quote. Because while the truth may set you free, it’s a rare person who won’t go a few rounds with it before finally surrendering and admitting defeat. Lately I’ve been a little miserable, which is why I haven’t posted here. I could rant and rave about how things haven’t turned out the way they should have, about how people are going to regret the decisions they’ve made and what those decisions mean for the rest of us, but after two attempts at an eloquent and intelligent response to current circumstances, it’s clear that I simply cannot express my sense of loss without sounding like a whiny butthead.

And I think we can all concur that the interwebs already have a lion’s share of those.

Instead of spending time in the virtual world, I’ve been spending some quality time in the non-virtual one, and have been richly blessed in doing so. I’ll be back to my old ranting, ridiculous self soon, but in the meantime, I pray you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and that we would all set aside any thoughts of what we hope for but do not have and replace those thoughts with a spirit of gratitude for what we have been given. Which in my case, is ridiculously more than I deserve.

« « Previous Post: Hoping for change | Next Post: Pardon me while I rant incessantly: The new normal » »

15 Responses to “Trading misery for gratitude”

1. Jason Stasyszen November 20, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering about where you were. Glad you’re good even though life is throwing curve-balls. Hope you have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving, Kat.

2. SimplyDarlene November 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Miss Kathy,

Ah, girl, I’ve missed ya so.

Please come back soon.

3. Maureen November 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

WIshing you a bountiful and blessed Thanksgiving, Kathy.

4. katdish November 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

After re-reading what I had written, it seems I may have given the impression that I was going through a personal struggle because of bad decisions made by other people. That’s not the case. I guess I just have a case of the post election blues. I’ve become too focused on big things. Time away from the 24 hour news cycle has helped me refocus on all the little things that make life not only bearable, but downright enjoyable. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and I hope to see y’all back here soon.

5. Ricky Anderson November 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

I’m still not going to let you win!

Come back soon.

6. Sandra Heska King November 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Sending hugs to you, my friend. Happy Thanksgiving.

7. James Williams November 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

Have a great thanksgiving, Kathy!

8. jake November 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

That dog is the perfect image. Hoping things are better soon!

9. Joseph Baran November 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I read your post and somehow knew what you meant. As long as we try to the right thing, then it’s okay. The next day we’ll be able to look at ourselves in the mirror, knowing we did our best.
    I’m sure there’s a silver lining somewhere. God always puts one in.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! And to all who come here for a break.

10. floyd November 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

I don’t think there is anything wrong with grieving for a decaying and lost society. It shows a big heart and a ton of wisdom. Good for you for shoring up the thing that matters most… inside your own house. God is on the throne… which means we all have ridiculously more than we deserve.

11. Louise Gallagher November 25, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving Kat. And I too look forward to your ‘ridiculous’ ways 🙂

they don’t seem all that ridiculous to me!

12. Shawn Smucker November 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I was glad to see your post show up in my reader today. Love the quote.

13. Melissa from the Blue House November 27, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Ugh, I’ve been in a post-election funk too! Hope you’re back soon tho…

1. Pardon me while I rant incessantly: The new normal | Katdish.net - November 27, 2012

[…] my last post, Trading misery for gratitude, I decided to set aside my grumbling and simply focus on all the many blessings–both tangible […]

2. The Strange Ways God Can Find Us - November 28, 2012

[…] Because while the truth may set you free, it’s a rare person who won’t go a few rounds with it before finally surrendering and admitting defeat. […]