My wish for you

If you were to ask me what my favorite genre of music was, I would not give you a straight answer. I don’t really have one. My music tastes are complicated.

I’m a lyrics gal. Words move me, which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one. I suppose I could say I love rock and roll, but not all of it. I don’t care for screaming guitar music. So, riddle me this: How is it that someone who’s a lyrics gal that doesn’t care for screaming guitar music would list as one of her favorite songs of all time Always with Me, Always with You by Joe Satriani? A song with no lyrics and plenty of screaming guitar?

See? Complicated.

If you were to ask me if there were any genres of music I didn’t like, two would come to mind. The first would be rap music. Then I would tell you that I love LL Cool J, and that I’ve probably logged hundreds of miles on the Stairmaster with his Mama Said Knock You Out CD blasting through my headphones.

I know. I’m a a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

The other genre would be country music. For me, listening to country music is akin to eating gummy bears. A few are sweet and satisfying, but past a certain point I begin to feel nauseous and regret every having opened the bag. It’s strange, this repulsion I have for country music. Because some of the best stories in the world are penned by writers of country music. Most country songs are simple and honest. I should love country music, but I just don’t. Maybe there’s something lacking in me which makes me turn away from it. I’m not a fan of sappy love songs either, but the lyrics to Dan Hill’s “Sometimes When We Touch”–arguably the sappiest of all love songs–may hold the key to my feelings towards country music:

Sometimes when we touch, the honesty’s too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide

Maybe it’s just a little too honest for me at times. Maybe it stirs a longing in me that I know on some level will never be filled. Music has its own special power, and it affects each of us differently I suppose. The power of country music is that it sometimes makes me sad.

Having said all of that, there are some songs that sum up a sentiment better than our own feeble words ever could, and sometimes those songs are country songs. I heard this song on the radio the other day, not for the first time, but perhaps for the first time, I really heard its message.

This is my wish for you. At Christmas, and always.

Merry Christmas.

« « Previous Post: Mourning with and for Newtown | Next Post: Gifts not received » »

12 Responses to “My wish for you”

1. SimplyDarlene December 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

Uh-oh, can’t watch it here. I’ll go to youtube and give it a listen there.

So, whaddaya think of Chris LeDoux?

I reckon he’s got it all in a neat package, well, a good lookin’ one at least – old school country, good lyrics (’cause he wrote most of his own songs & lived the cowboy life), some rockabilly, some buckle-rubbin’ ditties, and some get-outta-your-seat-&-dance (or engage the Stairmaster) songs?

Miss Kathy, may you and yours rejoice in all that the good Lord blesses you with. I’m ever so grateful to be a sister in Christ and a friend.

Merry Christmas!

• katdish December 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Merry Christmas to you, too Darlene. My sentiments exactly.

2. SimplyDarlene December 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Oh, I heard it. AND that’s a dandy of a country song, friend.

Blessings. (if I could reach through this screen and hug ya, you know I would)

3. Candy December 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

I’m not a big country fan either, but that song is in the top ten of my lifetime. (In fact, it’s one of my funeral songs). My wish is that you and your family have a blessed Christmas!

• katdish December 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Aw, Candy. Don’t be talking about your funeral! A very Merry Christmas to you, Ron Burgandy and the whole gang.

• Helen December 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

My funeral song is “Only the Good Die Young”. I’m assuming I’ll live to be 110! (Maybe I’ll see if there is a way to slip in “Fat Bottomed Girls” by Queen, as well. There won’t be a dry eye in the house!)

4. jake December 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

I have to admit, when I saw that the song you were sharing was by Rascal Flatts, a little piece of me died. BUT, wishing that this life becomes all one wants it to isn’t a bad thing, so I’ll give you that.

Otherwise, I’m with you on complicated music. I can genuinely say that I hate all country. I like some rap, but what I LOVE is weird music. Also? They busier, the better. A lot of my friends won’t tolerate the stuff I love the most. Oh well. Their loss.

I’m sometimes a lyrics person. Sometimes, I’ll tolerate bad lyrics if the music itself is good enough. Oh well. Merry Christmas, friend!

5. Jason Stasyszen December 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

I totally agree with you. There are genres I am more drawn to, but I can find something good in about every genre. Thanks Kat, and (belated) merry Christmas to you too!

6. floyd December 27, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

I’m with you on the music thing, although I like the old country. I still have that LL Cool J cassette some where…

If you get time check out this video of Pink Floyd from 05. I don’t care how old they get, the music and lyrics don’t get much better than this. Screaming guitar or not, maybe one of the best electric blues leads ever by David Gilmour.

“Whose gonna knock you out?”

7. Helen December 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

I have polka listed on blogger as my favorite, but the truth is, there isn’t a genre of music that I don’t like (though, like you, that doesn’t mean I like every song…)
    Merry Christmas, Katdish. I wish all good things to you and yours as well!

1. My wish for you | Katdish.net | Sad Country Music - December 22, 2012

[…] are some songs that sum up a sentiment better than our own feeble words … … More: My wish for you | Katdish.net ← MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – SAME LOVE Feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) Lana […]