To katdish, on her 48th birthday

Today I turn 48. I’m absolutely positive I turned 48 today.Unlike last year when I turned 47 and I wrote the following post:

The first week of August around here is referred to as Birthday Palooza. My son’s birthday is July 31, my dad’s is August 1, my daughter and my sister share an August 2 birthday and mine is August 5. And that’s just my immediate family. I also have a brother-in-law, sister-in-law and niece with birthdays in either late July or early August.

My birthday always has and most probably always will be shared with family, and I’m okay with that. What better way to celebrate your birthday than your family? My sister found a birthday card which sums up this sentiment rather nicely:

inside card

It’s funny because it’s true. We put the fun in dysfunctional.

Anyway, this year I turned 47, which is weird, because for the life of me I thought I turned 47 LAST year. As a matter of fact, if you were to search blog posts I’ve written over the past year, you will find that I’ve often referred to myself as being 47. When I was 46. Weird, huh?

Many of you may be thinking to yourselves, “How can a person not know how old they are? Was she born under mysterious circumstances? Was she left on her parents’ doorstep as a baby and her actual age is merely a educated guess?”

No. I know the day I was born. August 5, 1965. I have my birth certificate as proof. My only defense is that I honestly don’t think much about my age. Also, I suck at math.

How did I come to the realization that I was turning 47 and not 48?

Because a couple of weeks ago, my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday. This question lead to the next:

“How old are you, again?”

“I’m 47…I think. I’m pretty sure I’m 47,” I said.

“What year were you born?”

“1965.”

“It’s 2012. If you were born in 1965, how old does that make you?” he asked.

Me: “You know I suck at math.”

Him: “You’re 46. You’ll be 47 on your birthday.”

Me: “Okay then. Good to know.”

So, Happy 47th birthday to me again! I’m not sure whether to be glad not to be 48 yet or sad that I never enjoyed being 46.

No matter. I’m just grateful to have celebrated another birthday. Whichever one it happens to be.

Thanks to you all for the birthday greetings via Facebook and Twitter. You made my 40-somethingth birthday that much more special.

« « Previous Post: What should Christians read? | Next Post: A fresh start » »

9 Responses to “To katdish, on her 48th birthday”

1. SimplyDarlene August 5, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Last year I told myself I’d remember your b-day (as it is the day before my wedding anniversary) so that I would send you a card with chickens (or is it roosters?) on the cover; but as luck would have it, neither me, my self, nor I remembered. But… this post has sparked the realization that tomorrow is my anniversary. Don’t feel bad, because apparently I didn’t get my husband a gift either.

All that to say: Happy Birthday, miss Katdish!

2. indymavs August 5, 2013 at 8:38 am #

happy birthday!

3. Karen Spears Zacharias August 5, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Too funny. I can’t ever remember how old I am either, except to say I’m much older than you. Happiest of Birthdays Beautiful One.

4. Lois August 5, 2013 at 9:14 am #

You aren’t alone here. I always have to stop and think about how old I really am. Of course, I’m old enough to blame it on “old age” so I have that excuse to fall back on.
    Lois–okiewife

5. Glynn August 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

I would have said 35 at the outside. Happy birthday!

6. Melissa from the Blue House August 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Happy birthday! I have no idea how old I am either. It ceases to matter once you have kids.

7. Jake August 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Kathy,

Not to be weird, but you don’t look your age. Also? You don’t act it either. Which is fantastic. My parents were old before they were 30- they look at me and wonder what went wrong, because I’m simply not as ancient as they were at my age. You give me hope for the years to come. Thank you for that.

8. Musings September 3, 2013 at 1:09 am #

How funny! I have the same problem when it’s between the counts of 10 or 5s. Next year I’ll be 65 so I should remember better. Right now I keep forgetting if I’m 63 or 64. Sheesh!

9. Paula Kay Schmidt September 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Okay, so dont look at my blog until I update it later this weekend. sometime. Maybe Monday. Just wanted to say I was led to your blog via our youth pastor who discussed this video with the kids last week: http://katdish.blogspot.com/2009/07/did-you-believe-that-i-loved-you.html

And I comment here to say, I did the same thing with my birthday this year, and realized I had thought I was 52 all last year, and so this year I get to be 52 again–yes, I suck at math, too.

Between you and my bestie, I will be blogging more often soon…thanks for the inspiration.